Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 28th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #1
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Lane Splitting Nearly Legal

So I just caught a news segment here in CA about lane splitting. I guess we have a bill that has a pretty good chance of making it.

Proposed limits are 15mph faster than traffic up to 50mph.

It won't change my behavior any ( maybe split a little faster ) but it's nice that it will be on the books as "legally allowed" and not just "not prohibited".

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...528-story.html
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Badass. I never liked the grey area. Thanks to our friend judicial review, any one contested case could classify lane splitting as reckless driving.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 05:56 AM   #3
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Am I the only one who thinks , legal or not, it's usually putting the rider in danger?
Motorists simply don't like it here in the states, or at least here in my state. They get spooked, don't think it's fair , act revengeful and bad things happen.
I myself , try to avoid all contact with cars. I wouldnt risk putting myself into the same lane as a vehicle - you don't know how that vehicle is going to react to your action
Just my .02
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #4
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2010 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks , legal or not, it's usually putting the rider in danger?
Motorists simply don't like it here in the states, or at least here in my state. They get spooked, don't think it's fair , act revengeful and bad things happen.
I myself , try to avoid all contact with cars. I wouldnt risk putting myself into the same lane as a vehicle - you don't know how that vehicle is going to react to your action
Just my .02
Being on a bike is putting the rider in danger, and it had been debated ad infinitum on this forum whether lane spitting is safer or not. There are threads for that if you want to do so.

It is unlawful in NY for lane splitting and so drivers are uneducated how to react.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 29th, 2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
It's because you share the road with idiots. Along with your peers in 48 other states. Don't get me wrong, the 49th state also contains more than its fair share of cretins, but lanesplitting is common enough here that the risk of lanesplitting-related revenge is quite low. There's a much higher risk of just doing it poorly.

The sad part is the rest of the mechanized world is just as comfortable with it as California. What is "normal" in the rest of the 49 states is abnormal everywhere else in the world.

Mixed feelings on this particular bill, but it's probably better to have it than not, all things considered (including the not infrequent calls to ban the practice entirely)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

I split on the highway here daily, even though it's illegal in Illinois. BUT I have a very strict set of rules I follow:

1. Only split when traffic slows below 10mph
2. Only go up to 20 mph
3. Get back in the lane when traffic speeds up, large spaces start to appear in the lanes, or there isn't a wide enough space for me with a nice safety margin.

In all of my commute time on the highway I've had plenty of close calls when I was NOT splitting and following the laws. Nearly rear-ended and side-swiped several times. I have never had anything near a close call when splitting.

I would certainly rather deal with the possible moving violation then get hit by a car. I can usually see cops way ahead of time and then I get back in line.

The really interesting thing, is that last season when my bike was fully faired it seemed to piss off some drivers. They would regularly honk at me, shout out the window right when I went by, etc. This happened nearly every day. This season, with no fairings, that has not happened ONCE. I think people not having the visual cue for "crotch rocket" changes their behavior.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #7
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Alex sums it up perfectly.
I'm glad to see it on its way to legalization
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #8
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's because you share the road with idiots. Along with your peers in 48 other states. Don't get me wrong, the 49th state also contains more than its fair share of cretins, but lanesplitting is common enough here that the risk of lanesplitting-related revenge is quite low. There's a much higher risk of just doing it poorly.

The sad part is the rest of the mechanized world is just as comfortable with it as California. What is "normal" in the rest of the 49 states is abnormal everywhere else in the world.

Mixed feelings on this particular bill, but it's probably better to have it than not, all things considered (including the not infrequent calls to ban the practice entirely)
Thank you. I'm glad you see both sides of it like I do. And props to the riders who use this maneuver in places where other motorists respect it.

Old May 29th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Being on a bike is putting the rider in danger, and it had been debated ad infinitum on this forum whether lane spitting is safer or not. There are threads for that if you want to do so.

It is unlawful in NY for lane splitting and so drivers are uneducated how to react.
C'mon. I see the hint of sarcasm there. I don't need threads to decide for me what feels safe for me in any location.
I'm not holding your comment against you, but I'm just saying I see both sides and I just can't see lane splitting working here in NY

Old May 29th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

In NY riders split lanes a lot, among other things... and cagers just don't give a f*k. Bikers are kinda expected to ride like ass**es, so speeding, lane splitting, loud pipes, etc, are kinda expected to go with territory. A humble biker in NY is sort of a disappointment.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #11
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

If it's not specifically illegal then it's legal, there's no law saying you can buy milk, is buying milk a legal grey area? Whether the law passes or not it's not going to change much.

Quote:
Just my .02
Would you rather sit in line & wait to become the meat in a truck sandwich or take off beside it, clear the lot & have a bit more free space around you.

Crawling by them if they're moving is a bad idea, unless it's gridlocked, but passing with a bit of pace you're out of danger. If traffic's moving fast just occupy a space, split when it's slow/stopped. They're not going to pull out straight into the side of the car beside them, but be very careful when there's a gap
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #12
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
... They're not going to pull out straight into the side of the car beside them, but be very careful when there's a gap
Be careful betting your life on that argument. There's a video floating around where a woman basically does that exact thing to try and hit a guy splitting lanes. If I remember correctly, he stops just in time and they exchange some words.

When splitting lanes ALWAYS be very careful.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #13
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
Be careful betting your life on that argument. There's a video floating around where a woman basically does that exact thing to try and hit a guy splitting lanes. If I remember correctly, he stops just in time and they exchange some words.

When splitting lanes ALWAYS be very careful.
Fair point, not going to argue that.

I've been splitting on mountain & motorbikes for decades, where I am the lanes are just about wide enough to split, if someone tries to ram you they're not getting much speed to hit you & I'm going at a pace where I can stop if something seems dodgy.

They're also not getting away easily with the traffic here, so words (or an exchange of metal knuckled gloves ) may be had.

The knee sliders have a nice collection of mostly very expensive german paintwork from cars whose drivers act the prick, if anything most drivers pull over to give a little extra room to make sure they don't get scratched as the bike passes.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #14
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Hey. You guys do what you feel is safe as will I. Until I feel it's safe cut in and out of slow moving or stopped traffic , I will wait. The nonsense that I deal with while driving my cars on the roads by me is enough to make me think twice about trusting lane splitting in NY *if and when it's legal*
It's not an argument up for debate. I'm simply stating I DONT feel safe doing it.
You guys posted the video of the camaro vs truck crashing into the semi. Hello- that's the same thruway I ride on

Old May 29th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #15
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Lane Splitting Thread + Negative Comment = Somebody Gettin' Told!
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #16
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
It's a regional thing. I would never split lanes here in BC, because cagers are clueless as to its advantages, and get all bent out of shape that you are 'cutting in front of the line'. I don't agree at all with that line of thinking, but it is what people here think.

In a place like California, the majority of drivers are more used to it, and cagers don't have that attitude. Hopefully this more enlightened attitude will spread to other regions.

Old May 29th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #17
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Huh... I'm confused. I thought lane splitting was legal in CA? wtf?

Old May 29th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Current status is that it is legal because it is not illegal (like most things). There is no law banning sharing a lane of traffic, like there is in almost all other states. Historically this has meant that lanesplitting/lanesharing is tolerated by most LEOs, including the CHP. Some local LEOs take a dim view of it, and are more likely to write tickets anyway for various infractions. There is no guidance on appropriate speed, whose fault is it when there is a collision, etc., as there is no law to tie to.

This was an issue last year when the CHP put out guidelines for safe lanesplitting, and some asshat protested (successfully, sadly) that the state wasn't permitted to lay out guidelines for something that wasn't a law. Though there are some downsides to the proposed law, which is why the AMA and some other groups oppose it, one of the potential upsides is that if passed, the CHP can then do more education to riders and motorists in general about the topic.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2015, 01:51 AM   #19
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I split on the highway here daily, even though it's illegal in Illinois. BUT I have a very strict set of rules I follow:

1. Only split when traffic slows below 10mph
2. Only go up to 20 mph
3. Get back in the lane when traffic speeds up, large spaces start to appear in the lanes, or there isn't a wide enough space for me with a nice safety margin.

In all of my commute time on the highway I've had plenty of close calls when I was NOT splitting and following the laws. Nearly rear-ended and side-swiped several times. I have never had anything near a close call when splitting.

I would certainly rather deal with the possible moving violation then get hit by a car. I can usually see cops way ahead of time and then I get back in line.

The really interesting thing, is that last season when my bike was fully faired it seemed to piss off some drivers. They would regularly honk at me, shout out the window right when I went by, etc. This happened nearly every day. This season, with no fairings, that has not happened ONCE. I think people not having the visual cue for "crotch rocket" changes their behavior.
Someone please help me give this man a "helpful" rating! I couldn't have said it better myself. I lived in NYC for 30 years and in NJ for a few years. I split in NYC and NJ. Well, I split a lot more in NYC because of the heavy traffic. Well, more like.....i filter up to the front of the line at a red light. And when the light is about to turn green, I move up 5ft (into the pedestrian cross walk) and within a second or two when the light turns green, I pull away from everyone. So technically, I'm not in anyone's way.

In NJ, I rarely split because when there's horrible traffic by me, I'm still moving 25mph. I only split in NJ when I'm close to the Holland, Lincoln or George Washington bridge when traffic is at a stop still.

NYC drivers don't seem to mind. They actually kinda expect you to ride batshit crazy. If I'm carrying a passenger and riding conservatively, a lot of them would tailgate.

But just like Proteus, I don't split like an asshat. I'm maybe 10 or 15mph above their speed. And if we're moving 20mph or more, I don't split. But I will filter to the front of the line at almost every red light (whether I see a cop or not)....as they really don't give a crap.

Old May 31st, 2015, 09:20 AM   #20
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I wish NY would follow California. They normally do anyway.

Old May 31st, 2015, 08:48 PM   #21
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Woot woot!!!! It is now officially legal in CA!!!

I think Oregon will follow soon. I hope other states will allow it as well. That means, public education needed. Both drivers and riders need to be educated on what proper filtering/splitting is. Hopefully we don't have douchebag riders abusing the system and making it bad for all of us.

Old May 31st, 2015, 08:56 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It passed the Senate? I thought it was still making its way through the process.

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:06 PM   #23
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
My apologies. I read too fast. It's headed to the Senate now. Got too excited. But it does look promising.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-...gal-california

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:28 PM   #24
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
My apologies. I read too fast. It's headed to the Senate now. Got too excited. But it does look promising.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-...gal-california
The comments attached to that article are not comforting at all. Now this might sound crazy, but it turns out we're not the only nation in the world, and whatever this legislation is making clear is nothing new to most people outside the U.S.A.

...wait. Does saying that make me a God-hating communist who masturbates to gun bans?
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote