ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #1
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Slowly increasing front brake pressure

I rode to work today, and on the way home noticed that it was taking progressively less pull to get the brakes to apply, and when I got off to walk her into my garage the front brake was actually dragging enough that I could feel the resistance...

Has anyone had anything like this happen or have any ideas? I'm thinking my brake lever may be slightly overtightened, so I'm going to back it out and re-torque to factory specs, but other than that...

I've got an '09 (purchased in Sept '08). I've got the stock brake lines and original fluid in it; there's no visible bulging or anything in the brake line.

Thanks!

Steve
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Overfilled brake fluid could cause this, as it heats up it expands slightly, and if the piston is already rubbing against the disk, it heats up a bit more. I wouldn't think the lever itself could cause this.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

I was finally able to get out and go for a few rides to figure out what the source of the problem is... it's definitely the aftermarket brake lever. It looks like it's pressing the little diaphragm in the master cylinder in a good few millimeters, where the stock one makes contact but doesn't actually supply pressure. I'm guessing that once everything gets up to temperature (and pressure), that bit of brake pressure is enough to keep the piston frozen.

Happened to me again today - a hard freeze on the front tire... I had to pick up the front of the bike and walk it a good 15'. Man, what that a workout. Then, I simply took the brake lever bolt out and put it back in very loosely and bam, everything was back to normal.

Pretty odd, I'd say, but at least I've gotten to the cause of it without any physical harm. I'm back to the stock brake lever now.

Old April 5th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #4
kkim

yes, if the master cylinder is not allowed to return to an "open" position, it cannot draw/return fluid into the brake system or back into the master cylinder. Essentially you end up with a closed system and when the heat from the caliper starts heating up the fluid, the pressure within the closed system pushes the caliper piston out against the brake pad.

short story, you need at least some play at the lever end where it meets the master cylinder.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

What aftermarket lever do you have?

Old April 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #6
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Cycle Control.

I still have the adjustable clutch on (which was really my big reason for going for them anyway, I didn't like the pull of the stock lever), but the brake lever's going to need some looking into. It's got a few adjustments that look like an allen wrench might take care of, otherwise I'll have to try to see if I can get in touch with them and either figure out the next step or write it off and try the Pazzos.

Old April 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
kkim

could you post pictures of the lever and the adjustment portion?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote