ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

View Poll Results: ATGATT or Not?
All The Gear All The Time...No matter what the weather or riding conditions? 48 55.17%
ATGATT 99%...Helmet, shorts, shirt in 35 mph situations 1%. 10 11.49%
All the gear sometimes, most of the gear all of the time. 25 28.74%
I dress for the ride, not the crash. 2 2.30%
Gear? What's that? Helmet laws? Huh? 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #41
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
1) What do you consider acceptable gear when using your bike for transportation?
I always wear a jacket with CE armor in elbows, shoulders, back. Armored boots by Teknic, padded/armored gloves, and a full-face helmet. In cooler weather I wear CE armored Teknic pants over my daily wear, if it's above 80°F or so I wear just jeans.

Quote:
2) What do you consider acceptable gear for spirited riding?
Above with armored pants. Of course, "spirited" is a really vague definition.

Quote:
3) What is the least amount of gear you would ever consider wearing and in what conditions?
My first response. On long trips in really hot weather I'll wear the armored pants over shorts, but short trips < 30 miles or so I wear jeans. Everything else I wear no matter what. If it's raining I wear rain gear in addition to the above.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #42
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Of course, "spirited" is a really vague definition.
Faster than the posted speed limit on twisty roads, but well within a safe zone, and leaned over at lean angles that, while perfectly safe, would scare the non-riding populace.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #43
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Faster than the posted speed limit on twisty roads, but well within a safe zone, and leaned over at lean angles that, while perfectly safe, would scare the non-riding populace.
That's the only way i ride !
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #44
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Jeff - does your evaporative vest really work to keep you cool, even if you're in a little bit of traffic?
I wanted to ask someone before I ordered one online, and I guess you could just wet down your T shirt under the mesh jacket but it probably wouldn't last as long.
I wear it for my short 5 mile commute and it keeps my quite cool while moving. Cooler in stop and go than with out it. The evaporative properties last long enough to keep me cooler when the temps. are over 100. Of course, here in Utah, the air is really dry so it works better than in a humid climate. If i were to go on a longer distance ride, I'd rig a drinking bottle full of water that I could re-supply the water to the vest.

I have done the wet tee shirt thing and the vest works much better. I also wear a wet Under Armor skull cap under my helmet. David Hough of Proficient Motorcycling fame states that a wet wrap around your neck works well too by cooling the blood vessels that lead in and out of your brain.

Another strategy I have yet to try is to wear gear with the insulated liners in place and close your helmet vents. The theory is that when the air temperature is over body temperature, if you are not insulated, you will absorb heat. Sounds backwards but David Hough swears by it.

Of course if you want to spend a little money try the Veskimo active cooling system

So you can be ATGATT even in the heat. Apologies for the hijack.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #45
Perf_White_Gt
ninjette.org member

Name: Christopher

Motorcycle(s): Trek Alpha 1.2

as far as hydration goes... I guess i will just use what i use on my road bike

Perf_White_Gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #46
Shano22
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawi Ninja 250, 2004 Honda CBR600 F4I, 1999 Yamaha TTR225(dirtbike)

I always wear my joe rocket kawasaki textile jacket, HJC helmet, carbon fiber gloves, jeans, and my trusty 8 inch timberland Pro series steel toe boots that i ride dirt bike in also. Im looking to invest in a pair of draggin' jeans though or something similar.

Old June 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #47
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

ATGATT. Unfortunately though, I do not have a "proper" pair of riding boots. I'm wearing the boots I have because I need the little bit of platform at the front for height. They are not ideal, but at least the leather is thick enough that I don't have to worry about abrasion.

Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #48
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
ATGATT - Lid, jacket, gloves, armored motorcycle specific pants, motorcycle specific boots. For me that also includes earplugs. The whole sha-bang. When the temps get above 90 I throw on an evaporative vest under my jacket.
I use my cool vest whenever I'm on long rides over 100 degrees. It soaks up a sink-full of water and under my mesh keeps me relatively comfortable for 30-40 minutes at a time. I'm working on a rehydration system for it so that I can ride for a couple of hours at a time.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #49
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

It depends for me, If I'm commuting I will wear all I got, Icon level 2 mesh jacket, helmet, gloves. If I'm going to the clubs or going to watch the cruse on Sunday nights I will sport just a shirt and helmet (its a total of 2 mile trip at a top speed of 18 mph lol) other than that its atgatt

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #50
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
I commute to work daily in business pants and leather shoes.
How do you keep the shifter from messing up your left shoe? I do commute to work in the pants I'm wearing that day, but I've got a pair of A* Ridge boots that I put on and toss the shoes in my tail bag. Then I just change my shoes in the parking lot or at my desk.

To the OP:

For my commute - jacket, helmet, boots, gloves. Just the work pants for the day - khakis, wool dress pants, jeans, depends on the day.

For other riding - all the above plus a pair of textile riding pants.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #51
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
My gear is very comfortable but even if it wasn't I would still choose ATGATT over comfort any day.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #52
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I applaud many of you for going ATGATT...some days I just want comfort and will only wear my helmet, jeans, my boots, and icon vest....other days I want it ALL: the icon vest, mesh jacket with pads, the icon shin guards, the lid, the boots, the gloves....I hate when I let the weather dictate what gear I'm wearing (it's a bad habit) If I'm going into the canyon for a day of twisties-ATGATT!!! If I'm going down the street- no freeways.....very little gear...more for comfort.....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #53
izmail1215
ninjette.org member

Name: SaM

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250r, 2009 650r

when i go to the gym i just ware shorts but still jacket helmet and gloves
izmail1215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #54
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

When I ride around town I might go with gloves/shoes and helmet only, can't be worst than those cyclist on the road right? I call it calculated risk.. If I go on the highway, I'll never be on t-shirt ever.

Old June 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #55
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

I don't really think "ATGATT or comfort" is the right question, at least as far as summer heat goes. Here in Alabama we do have some summer heat

Going 50mph down a shady county road wearing mesh jacket and pants with summer ventilated gloves feels about the same as it does in shirt sleeves and jeans.

Likewise, heavy stop and go traffic in the heat of summer on a motorcycle, wearing either mesh or shirt sleeves, feels like this:

So I think the comfort question is this: IF you insist on wearing gear, do you wear mesh or leather?

I have to admit helmets are not so nice to wear when it is hot. Law says you have to wear one here, and they seem to me to be the single most important piece of gear too.

So wearing a helmet or not, is not the question in this state. The question here is: Full face or something less?

Shoes... well there are 4 motorcycle stores in the local area, one of them has pretty much every type of gear. Except for shoes. I asked why and the sales lady said "nobody wears motorcycle shoes." Based on observation, she is pretty much right. Tennis shoes or work type boots are the usual choices.

So I think the shoe question is this: do you wear motorcycle specific shoes?

Me personally I own mesh gear which I wear and leather gear which stays in the closet till fall. I have a full face helmet. I just recently went from work boots to some Icon brand shoes.

I answer the survey "most of the gear most of the time" because my statement about mesh being equal to shirtsleeves comfort wise is based on my own experiments.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote