ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Motorcycle-related

Old April 6th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #1
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Looking to sell my 2008 250R

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out how much to sell my 2008 Ninja 250R that I purchased from a private seller back in January 2013 (17,024 miles). This bike has been my main commute since then and now I have it at about 76,556 miles!! Just trying to get a ball park of how much I can sell it for on craigslist or another selling place before trying the dealership. I have been doing all of the maintenance to it (oil filter, oil change, brake pads, new tires, sprocket change rear and front along with chain when miles have asked for it, also change front brake line and front rotor).I used the acar app to keep all records and have all invoices when I took the bike to the shop. Reason being is I want to finally switch to a Ninja 650R as I have been really patient till it was the right time. I bought it for $2480 (kinda high) so I'm pretty sure I will have to at least sell around $1500 or even less. I can post pictures of the bike if anyone can help me out....thanks!
alanmv567 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
@Jerrytheclown, meet @alanmv567.

I think you guys should talk. Ref. this thread: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=292182

Alan, with that kind of mileage you're going to have a hard time selling at all, never mind for $1500. Even if the bike is in good serviceable condition (which it sounds like it is from your brief description) there are many, many, many bikes out there with far fewer miles to choose from, and in that price bracket. Absolute max value is going to be in the three figure range IMHO. The bike is worth exactly what the market will bear and not one penny more. Advertise it for $1500 and the phone will not ring.

You've put nearly 60k on that bike. It doesn't owe you anything.

You might get more money out of it if you part it out. More hassle, though. Depends on your priorities.

Jerry, this looks like a much better bet for you, provided you can pick it up for somewhere near your price range. You can learn your mechanical skills keeping it in good condition. You might eventually need a new engine, but for now you'd have transport.

However, you'd then be in the same boat: owning a very high-mileage bike that will be hard to move. But on the other hand, you wouldn't have a lot of money tied up in it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #3
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
@Jerrytheclown, meet @alanmv567.

I think you guys should talk. Ref. this thread: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=292182

Alan, with that kind of mileage you're going to have a hard time selling at all, never mind for $1500. Even if the bike is in good serviceable condition (which it sounds like it is from your brief description) there are many, many, many bikes out there with far fewer miles to choose from, and in that price bracket. Absolute max value is going to be in the three figure range IMHO. The bike is worth exactly what the market will bear and not one penny more. Advertise it for $1500 and the phone will not ring.

You've put nearly 60k on that bike. It doesn't owe you anything.

You might get more money out of it if you part it out. More hassle, though. Depends on your priorities.

Jerry, this looks like a much better bet for you, provided you can pick it up for somewhere near your price range. You can learn your mechanical skills keeping it in good condition. You might eventually need a new engine, but for now you'd have transport.

However, you'd then be in the same boat: owning a very high-mileage bike that will be hard to move. But on the other hand, you wouldn't have a lot of money tied up in it.
Thanks appreciate your response!! You're right that I might only sell it in the triple digits and that's not a problem (I'll most likely put the cash towards my next bike) I'll talk to jerrytheclown to see if he is interested!

Old April 6th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #4
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
GLWS

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Jerrytheclown
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Hey Alan, I saw @adouglas 's mention and I sent you a message. Looking forward to learning more.
Jerrytheclown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to for sale area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #7
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
GLWS
Thanks!

Old April 6th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #8
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Last futzed with by alanmv567; April 6th, 2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Images

Old April 6th, 2017, 05:49 PM   #9
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

I wouldn't hurry to lower too much the price unless you need the money.

The bike looks good, looks all stock, and runs well, and the fact that has 70+k miles only speaks well about how you treated the thing.

With a couple of searches on CycleTrader.com, eBay and CraigsLists you can have an idea of what people is asking for that bike with high miles.
You can then list it for 10% or 15% less than the average and see what happens.
From there, you can lower the price bit by bit until someone shows up.
Spring is the best moment to sell.

Also check NADA and KBB for the Trade in value. That's roughly what the dealer will offer you for a trade.

GLWS
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

The bike looks good and runs well. Someone will get it for the right price.

The fact that has 70+k miles only talks about how well you treated it.

Find out what people is asking for that year with high miles and list it for a bit less, 10 or 15% less. If you're in a hurry to sell, drop the price even more. Someone will get it. It takes time to sell a bike at the right price.

For price reference, do a search on CycleTrader, eBay, CraigsList. Also check NADA values and KBB values. In 15 minutes you can get an idea.

GLWS
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #11
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Keep the bike as backup in case one of your vehicles breakdown or needs repairs. Having another bike is handy. You can probably sell it for $1500, but that money can easily disappear. My ninja saved me so many times I could never sell mine.

You can get a bigger return on your investment by just keeping the bike. Looks good for the mileage! Craigslist is your best bet...in the summer.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #12
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
Keep the bike as backup in case one of your vehicles breakdown or needs repairs. Having another bike is handy. You can probably sell it for $1500, but that money can easily disappear. My ninja saved me so many times I could never sell mine.

You can get a bigger return on your investment by just keeping the bike. Looks good for the mileage! Craigslist is your best bet...in the summer.
I would love to keep it but I do not have enough space as it is to keep two bikes plus my car which I greatly maintain so it's best if I sell this one to get a decent 600-700cc upgrade for the freeway commute.