ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

A thought experiment on carb syncing thru-out the rev range

I just had a different idea that I wanted to get down on "paper" before I forgot it, and see if others thought it was even a plausible modification.

As most here probably know, when you sync your carbs, you are setting it to be synced only at idle, but when you rev it they will pull at different rates.... I don't know why it is, just that it is.

I have also done most of the regular mods around here to my bike, including jetting & drilling the slides.

So I got to thinking..... what if you only drill one slide (the one that pulls less under power), and leave the other alone? Theoretically they would then move at different speeds, and my thought was if manipulating the speeds [between] the slides would effectively keep the carbs closer to synchronization into at least part of the rev range. If this theory proved true, I would thing it could even be fine-tuned by different sized holes, although I imagine the margin for error would be extremely small.

As I was processing this idea, I remembered that Kawi put slightly different tapered needles in each carb, and adjusted the mixture at different points, right and left respectively..... I've always wondered WHY they did this, but just wondered if they were in fact trying to accomplish the same thing I was pondering above.

What do you guys think?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #2
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

too much work for possibly only a slight improvement? hehehe

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #3
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
too much work for possibly only a slight improvement? hehehe
Oh I wasn't volunteering.... that is why it is only a "thought experiment." Just trying to stretch my knowledge and understanding of how these engines work. Can I at least get an honorary doctorate in Ninjette buffoonery & uselessness for coming up with that one?

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #4
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
What do you guys think?
You have way too much spare time on your hands!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #5
headshrink

But would it potentially work?

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Syncronizing the carbs is to adjust the throttlle plate so each plate is giving the proper Air /fuel ratio at idle. Each cylinder will need a specific amount of air and fuel .adjusting the stationary throttle blades for each cylinder gives a smooth idleAs soon as you open the throttle blades the vacuum slides automaticly give the proper amount of air for eaxh cylinder. From off idle to full throttle the aif fuel ratio is going from pilot jet to needle /main jet relationship to just the main jet. You can make the slides move faster by drilling the them But there is a lot of other factors involved. At the end of the day the engine does not need to be that spot on . If it is allittle rich or a little lean here and there you can't tell without a exhaust gas analizer.And the power or economy will not vary much. But after syncronizing the carbs for idle you tune the engine to get the best running using diffeent jets and needles.I hope this makes sense.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #7
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Syncronizing the carbs is to adjust the throttlle plate so each plate is giving the proper Air /fuel ratio at idle. Each cylinder will need a specific amount of air and fuel .adjusting the stationary throttle blades for each cylinder gives a smooth idleAs soon as you open the throttle blades the vacuum slides automaticly give the proper mixture for eaxh cylinder. From off idle to full throttle the aif fuel ratio is going from pilot jet to needle /main jet relationship to just the main jet. You can make the slides move faster by drilling the them But there is a lot of other factors involved. At the end of the day the engine does not need to be that spot on . If it is allittle rich or a little lean here and there you can't tell without a exhaust gas analizer.And the power or economy will not vary much. But after syncronizing the carbs for idle you tune the engine to get the best running using different jets and needles.
So to summarize Racer X, It makes little to no difference so just give up and focus your time and energy on something else. haha... Interesting theory, I probably would think something similar if I wanted to tinker with something like that. I'd imagine that getting something as unpredictable as an explosion in a steel cage to be perfectly the same EVERY single time would near never happen.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #8
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
focus your time and energy on something else.
I think all the non-ADD folks are a bit jealous.
We ADDers are, after-all, the entrepreneurs of society.... thinking about the possibilities outside the box.