Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 14th, 2017, 05:23 AM   #1
Flashesbuck
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 F4I, Ninja 650

Trading Down to a 300??? Opinions?

Ok, so here is the deal. I currently have a CBR600 F4i, and the wife rides a new Ninja 650. I am wanting to move away from the CBR, I am really kickin around the idea of trading down to a Ninja 300. I have several people that are interested in trades. But I’m not sure I can bring myself to it. I am concerned it won’t handle my weight well, and the actual size of the bike. Am I going to look like a dork with my 230lb but on this bike up on the highway? I have been watching videos online and it looks like they have plenty of power to keep up with the traffic here in ohio.
I tried looking around online of a photo of the 300 setting beside the 650, just to try to get a good comparison of what they would look like together, but I cannot find anything. I am starting to commute to work a lot on the Ninja, and would actually enjoy the added MPG’s the 300 would offer, looks like a difference of about 10? Also I bet the insurance would be considerable less.
I am an experience rider, but I don’t want to get bored with the 300. I really don’t want the fuss of carburetors. So I am trying to narrow my trade to FI bikes only, and a ton of people popped up with 300’s. I guess I’m really just dragging my feet on it, waiting for someone with and ABS models to pop up.
Flashesbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #2
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

I'm not seeing a value in this proposition. The F4i is one of the most relaxed SS bikes out there. You'll be missing the power soon enough after going to the 300.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashesbuck View Post
Am I going to look like a dork with my 230lb but on this bike up on the highway?
You definitely should not choose a motorcycle based on what you think you'll look like on it. Maybe see if you can get a demo ride on a 300 and base your decision on how you like the motorcycle.

Many people guess my 250 is a 500. If I look big on it, maybe people think I'm a really big guy on a 500.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
The new Ninja 650 looks pretty nice, but I'm partial to older (1999 to 2008) SV650s. 2003 and up are F.I. My '06 SV without fairings will get 50 mpg all day long, in-town or on the hwy. Probably more if you were cruising in the 60 mph range most of the time. 2007 and later SVs have twin plugs, which supposedly increases mileage (but not power).

In 2009 Suzuki went to the Gladius. I'm not a fan of the Gladius or the current SV650, but some people seem to like them.

I think you would like the torque of one of the 650 twins over the 300 due to your size.

Both of my boys now have faster bikes than I do (VFR800 and R6). I'd never live it down if the wife had a faster bike...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Wtf is going on in this thread? It's like gsxr.com up in here.

230lbs is NOT too much weight, you will have little, to no problems on the highway or anything else really for that matter... What is more important than your 230lbs, is your height and inseam. Those two measures will determine if you fit on the bike well or nah. It's neither here nor there what you look like on the bike if you are happy. 250's/300's offer low torque and low hp... don't matter if its 100lbs or 300lbs in the saddle in the grand scheme of rideability/things.

Go sit on one and other bikes that interest you but bottom line is... "want a 300, get a 300." The only person that really cares past 45 seconds, is you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Ausoi
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2008 (Black) Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I started on a 2008 250R and then went to a gsxr 750. Looking at them side by side you can't really tell which is bigger unless you have the fairings off. Now once you ride them you can instantly tell the difference in weight and power. There are plus and minuses to both bikes but everyone is different and only you can make the decision, if I was you I would test ride the 300 and see for yourself. Me personally.. I would never be bored with the 300's power, it's just too much fun and I like how it's light and nimble. Eventually I will buy another. A huge bonus to having a smaller CC bike is the insurance and the money you will save on tires and maintenance. I've two upped the 250 and our combined weight was well over 250 so I wouldn't be worried about being too heavy.
Ausoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #7
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I'm about 220 lbs and my wife is about 120 (don't tell her I told you) and we ride two-up on my 300 all the time. You definitely notice it, but the bike is still perfectly rideable with that sort of load.

Old August 14th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
He was asking for opinions.

That's what he got.

No obligation to take any of them.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #9
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Wtf is going on in this thread? It's like gsxr.com up in here.

230lbs is NOT too much weight, you will have little, to no problems on the highway or anything else really for that matter... What is more important than your 230lbs, is your height and inseam. Those two measures will determine if you fit on the bike well or nah. It's neither here nor there what you look like on the bike if you are happy. 250's/300's offer low torque and low hp... don't matter if its 100lbs or 300lbs in the saddle in the grand scheme of rideability/things.

Go sit on one and other bikes that interest you but bottom line is... "want a 300, get a 300." The only person that really cares past 45 seconds, is you.
I don't have a thumbs up button yet but if I did you'd get another. Well said.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #10
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I'm riding my CBR600RR less and less after getting Ninja 250R
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Flashesbuck
ninjette.org newbie

Thank you for all the responses. Yes I am looking for one to test ride somewhere. But in the meantime. I found someone with a 2012 Ninja 650 that is interested. I am going to pursue this deal, mainly because I feel its in my favor. I am not overly excited about getting another 650, mainly because i have one just like it setting at home. My main goal is to get something I can safely and comfortable ride to work, and go on road trips with the wife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161223_083819.jpg (108.4 KB, 11 views)

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #12
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I'm riding my CBR600RR less and less after getting Ninja 250R
Doesn't surprise me. The 600RR is one of the first "bigger bikes" I ever rode and I was completely underwhelmed. God I love Honda but these ninjette's are just FUN and great bikes. Didn't know you had a CBR @JacRyann
When I was debating on what to get for my first ever bike it was between a CBR 250/300 and a Ninja 250/300
That's why I've done more reading and research on the CBR than I ever cared to. Everything just told me Ninja.

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #13
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Thank you for all the responses. Yes I am looking for one to test ride somewhere. But in the meantime. I found someone with a 2012 Ninja 650 that is interested. I am going to pursue this deal, mainly because I feel its in my favor. I am not overly excited about getting another 650, mainly because i have one just like it setting at home. My main goal is to get something I can safely and comfortable ride to work, and go on road trips with the wife.
That's your Honda next to the possible Ninja? Ninja is very nice. But that's cosmetics. The heart and soul of the bike is what makes the trade. What year is that Honda? You don't feel like a 600 is safe and comfortable?
I think that's why everyone loves their 250's. They handle like a dream and have great control, yet totally ballsy enough to keep up with the "big boys" and get out of possible trouble on the highways. pound for pound/bang for buck the best smaller engine bikes on the planet.

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #14
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

lol @Panda don't be so sensitive. You must be a Honda fan boy. I said I loved Honda, jeez.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #15
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I had an 09 CBR. I would take the CBR on long rides and to the track and I'd commute and bang around the city on my 250. I sold the CBR and am looking at buying another 600 or 1000.

The thing I miss most about the CBR is the suspension. The power is a given but there is something to be said about wringing the neck of a 250 on public streets and not having to worry about hitting triple digit speeds. Like you pointed out the MPG on a smaller bike is nice.

Also, if you are curious about the size just go to dealer and look.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #16
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
lol @Panda don't be so sensitive. You must be a Honda fan boy. I said I loved Honda, jeez.
Eh? I'm not a honda fanboy at all.

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #17
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I had an 09 CBR. I would take the CBR on long rides and to the track and I'd commute and bang around the city on my 250. I sold the CBR and am looking at buying another 600 or 1000.

The thing I miss most about the CBR is the suspension. The power is a given but there is something to be said about wringing the neck of a 250 on public streets and not having to worry about hitting triple digit speeds. Like you pointed out the MPG on a smaller bike is nice.

Also, if you are curious about the size just go to dealer and look.
Still not a fan of the CBR but if you get a 1000 I would never fault you for it. Those, I've heard good things about.

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:19 AM   #18
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Eh? I'm not a honda fanboy at all.
Well you don't like it when I don't stroke the CBR ego
Sorry but the CBR 250 can't hold the Ninjette's jock. JMO, allow me to have it lol.

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #19
Flashesbuck
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
That's your Honda next to the possible Ninja? Ninja is very nice. But that's cosmetics. The heart and soul of the bike is what makes the trade. What year is that Honda? You don't feel like a 600 is safe and comfortable?
I think that's why everyone loves their 250's. They handle like a dream and have great control, yet totally ballsy enough to keep up with the "big boys" and get out of possible trouble on the highways. pound for pound/bang for buck the best smaller engine bikes on the planet.
Yep, that it.. Its an 02 F4i, one of the most comfortable Super sports out there... and I still don't care for it. The suspension is awfly stiff compared to that 650 Beside it. I freaking love the 650! Mater of fact I just dropped the cash on a new IXIL exhaust for it. (dont tell the wife, she hates when i start messing with her bike).
The bike I had just previous to this one, was a brand new CRF250L. I liked it, but was very sketch on the highway. Im sure replacing the knobby tires would have helped, but "balls out" full tuck was 80MPH, with the wind at my back.
Also the bandit in the picture (below) was sold, that was a project bike also (as was the F4i). Loved that thing, but im done with carbs. Todays fuel is crap!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160427_193359528.jpg (102.0 KB, 0 views)

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #20
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
Well you don't like it when I don't stroke the CBR ego
Sorry but the CBR 250 can't hold the Ninjette's jock
Honestly, I have no idea wtf you are talking about.

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #21
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Honestly, I have no idea wtf you are talking about.
I said the CBR 250 was junk in comparison. Any post I've posted here that wasn't completely in favor of the CBR you marked it unhelpful. You must've not realized that info was public. No harm. Not all opinions are the same. I'm sure you know that. Now, I'm sure you know "wtf" I'm talking about. Have a great day.

Old August 15th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #22
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Doesn't surprise me. The 600RR is one of the first "bigger bikes" I ever rode and I was completely underwhelmed. God I love Honda but these ninjette's are just FUN and great bikes. Didn't know you had a CBR @JacRyann
When I was debating on what to get for my first ever bike it was between a CBR 250/300 and a Ninja 250/300
That's why I've done more reading and research on the CBR than I ever cared to. Everything just told me Ninja.
the CBR600RR is more of a track weapon than street bike. Infinitely frustrating to ride on street because you have to rein it in to less than 10% of its capabilities all the time. It's like having a Ferrari or Porsche Turbo and only allowed to drive it in New York traffic.

My dream bike at moment is original '90s CBR250RR. Ninjette weight with twice power! Current CBR250 or upcoming RR model simply cannot compare to the 19,000rpm monster!

Old August 15th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #23
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
the CBR600RR is more of a track weapon than street bike. Infinitely frustrating to ride on street because you have to rein it in to less than 10% of its capabilities all the time. It's like having a Ferrari or Porsche Turbo and only allowed to drive it in New York traffic.

My dream bike at moment is original '90s CBR250RR. Ninjette weight with twice power! Current CBR250 or upcoming RR model simply cannot compare to the 19,000rpm monster!
Those are the CBR's that I love. Even 80's models. I think my dad had a '91 250 he turned into a trick bike. Would do local events in the area. I loved everything about it. The red and blue fairings. I'll be jealous to see pics if you get one lol

Old August 16th, 2017, 09:41 AM   #24
DannoXYZ

Here's one I was looking at: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/veh...-cbr250rr-mc22

Unfortunately, my purposes are crossed. While it would be better than N250J for 250-Superbike class, a TZ250 would be best with even less weight and even more power!

It would make a great street bike! But alas, not street-legal in U.S. My brother has a VFR400R, I gotta see how he got that licenced! I've seen 2-stroke NSR250s running around, maybe they're just rolling dice on getting caught!

http://amcn.com.au/editorial/honda-cbr250-rr-1990-2000

Old August 16th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #25
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
I said the CBR 250 was junk in comparison. Any post I've posted here that wasn't completely in favor of the CBR you marked it unhelpful. You must've not realized that info was public. No harm. Not all opinions are the same. I'm sure you know that. Now, I'm sure you know "wtf" I'm talking about. Have a great day.
You made a comment about Honda's being unreliable which you deleted. I marked that as unhelpful b/c it's a factually untrue statement. I know the information is public. I've been on this site a long time.

Old August 16th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #26
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Pull 2 spark plugs on your CBR600. If you enjoy riding it then get the 300.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #27
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Pull 2 spark plugs on your CBR600. If you enjoy riding it then get the 300.
Well, you gotta remove 100-lbs too.

Old August 16th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #28
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Well, you gotta remove 100-lbs too.
Why?

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #29
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Why?
To really get a feel for what a 300 would be like. Ok, more like 50-lbs. My race-bike is 100-lbs lighter than CBR600F4i.

The 300 also has 3-degree steeper head angle and narrower tyres for much more responsive steering.

Only way to see what 300 feels like is to go ride one.

Old August 16th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #30
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
To really get a feel for what a 300 would be like. Ok, more like 50-lbs. My race-bike is 100-lbs lighter than CBR600F4i.

The 300 also has 3-degree steeper head angle and narrower tyres for much more responsive steering.

Have you been on a ninja 300?

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #31
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
I'd just get the ninja without trading the F4i. It is a good bike imho.

Old August 16th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #32
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Yeah im not sure why a test ride hasnt been mentioned by the op (unless ive clearly missed it ofc), but that would be my first option. I still rock my 2012 ninja 250. I ride the piss out of it, every day. Although i know 100% i want more power, i actually enjoy shifting all the time while riding my lil 250. Just wish 1st wasnt garbage
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #33
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
He's hip.

Quote:
Thank you for all the responses. Yes I am looking for one to test ride somewhere.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #34
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Have you been on a ninja 300?
Yep, I rent Feel Like a Pro ones all the time. There's no way to make a CBR600F4i feel like one. You can easily make something slower, but not so easy to make it faster. Front end on CBR is configured for high-speed stability at 130mph+. No way to make it as nimble and quick-turning as a Ninja 300.

Old August 17th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #35
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:

True, but my way is much quicker and easier. I don't know of any dealerships around here that will let you take a test ride on a Ninja 300.

Old August 17th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #36
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I've owned an FZ-09 and a Street Triple R alongside a 300. I generally prefer to ride the 300. Extra power is fun but I find it entirely unnecessary.

Old August 17th, 2017, 06:39 AM   #37
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I've owned an FZ-09 and a Street Triple R alongside a 300. I generally prefer to ride the 300. Extra power is fun but I find it entirely unnecessary.
I've owned a CBR1100XX prior to owning a Ninja 250.

I have to agree, but I'd say the extra power is addictive even if it is unnecessary.

Right now I have a Harley Sportster 883 and in my garage I have my sons Sportster 1200. He is in the Army so I have to keep the 1200 running for him. That extra power of the 1200 is a lot of fun. But both bikes have the same size fuel tank. The 1200 hits reserve at right around 100 miles. The 883 goes easily 125-135 miles before I have to switch to reserve. I keep going back and forth. I ride my 883 to work most days and I tell myself it does everything I need. Then on the weekend I take my sons bike for a ride and I think, wow I need more power. But then the bike stutters, I flip to reserve and pull into the nearest gas station thinking, I really need to keep the 883.

The Ninja 250 was much better on gas than the 883 is. It also worked very well in daily commutes.

I'm really thinking a Versys 300 with a top box would be about the ultimate commuting bike. If my finances ever allow it I will get something like a Ninja or Versys 300 for commuting and a big touring bike for the long rides.

Old August 17th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #38
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
You made a comment about Honda's being unreliable which you deleted. I marked that as unhelpful b/c it's a factually untrue statement. I know the information is public. I've been on this site a long time.
I never said Honda's were unreliable. Please stop lol. I am a life long Honda fan so I know for a fact that I didn't say that. The post I deleted I said "The CBR 250/300 is junk".
THAT'S what you marked unhelpful and I deleted because I didn't want to offend any other CBR 250/300 owners. But never in my life would I ever state that Honda''s are unreliable when they're my favorite manufacturer. My father used to race them for cryin' out loud. And I'm allowed to have an opinion. You don't have to mark every post that doesn't float the same opinion as yours as unhelpful. Mayve me calling the CBR 250/300 "junk" was a little much but in comparison to the Ninja 250/300 they really are. It's actually disappointing to say because I do love Honda's so much.

Old August 17th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #39
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Here's one I was looking at: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/veh...-cbr250rr-mc22

Unfortunately, my purposes are crossed. While it would be better than N250J for 250-Superbike class, a TZ250 would be best with even less weight and even more power!

It would make a great street bike! But alas, not street-legal in U.S. My brother has a VFR400R, I gotta see how he got that licenced! I've seen 2-stroke NSR250s running around, maybe they're just rolling dice on getting caught!

http://amcn.com.au/editorial/honda-cbr250-rr-1990-2000
Yep that's the color scheme I'm talking about. I even tried to go for that look on the '01 Ninja 250 I own but failed. Only Honda can get it right. Beautiful bike I just don't like their 250 models but it's beautiful. Now a VFR, that's a beast of a bike.

Old August 17th, 2017, 08:58 AM   #40
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
I never said Honda's were unreliable. Please stop lol. I am a life long Honda fan so I know for a fact that I didn't say that. The post I deleted I said "The CBR 250/300 is junk".
THAT'S what you marked unhelpful and I deleted because I didn't want to offend any other CBR 250/300 owners. But never in my life would I ever state that Honda''s are unreliable when they're my favorite manufacturer. My father used to race them for cryin' out loud. And I'm allowed to have an opinion. You don't have to mark every post that doesn't float the same opinion as yours as unhelpful. Mayve me calling the CBR 250/300 "junk" was a little much but in comparison to the Ninja 250/300 they really are. It's actually disappointing to say because I do love Honda's so much.
You know those "Helpful" "Un-Helpful"" votes really don't mean anything, other than Panda is expressing his opinion on your post.

No need to get all spun up over them.

Oh, and just bashing a bike says it's junk isn't very helpful. If you rephrased it and took some time to list why the Ninja 250/300 (more power, better brakes, better suspension, better handling, whatever....) is better than the CBR 250/300 then even if someone disagreed with you the post could still be helpful. And remember, one mans junk is another mans treasure.