ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1
kyrider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Do you get a bit rusty if you don't ride often enough?

Weather and work has kept me off my bike for the longest stretch since I got my license and I honestly felt a lil rusty. The instructor at the MSF class I took said he gets rusty with to many days off, so is this common?
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #2
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

A little bit. I dont think its any different than driving a car. If I ride the bike for a month and then get in a car for a day, the first few minutes feel awkward. I usually have more trouble remembering to fit the whole car in the lane though.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's very common. Just like mountain biking or running, or doing math. If you don't do it for long enough, it feels incredibly weird when you get back into it.

to get back into it, find an empty parking lot and practice u-turns and quick stops and basics like that. That's what I did in the spring after getting the bike back out and it really helped a ton
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Absolutely. I took about a year and a half off from doing track days after the engine blew on my first 250. When I got back on a CBR600, I was definately going slower than I had been on the 250. It comes back pretty quickly, though.

Old September 27th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #5
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I took about a year off from riding completely with my back injury, plus about another year of very short rides (under 40 miles). I found that the mechanics of riding weren't really rusty at all (i.e. muscle memory about how to use the clutch, throttle, brakes, etc) but that my "riding sense" took a little while to come back. You know, the sixth sense that says "that guy is about to pull out of the driveway" or "that guy's gonna change lanes without signaling". I agree that it comes back pretty quickly, though.

Old September 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Yea, that's why I wanna get my bike soon. It's been a long time since I took the BRC.

Old September 28th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
Yea, that's why I wanna get my bike soon. It's been a long time since I took the BRC.
I was in the same position and trailered the bike to a parking lot when I bought it.
Braking, steering came back nicely but had to relearn sportbike type clutchwork since I took my course on a dirtbike that needed almost no clutch at all
Give yourself the whole day to play when you get it. Bring water and snacks and make a big deal out of it. Don't forget the camera! I picked mine up on a Sunday so all the really big parking lots were empty.
You've waiting this long so no rush and ride safe, you have your whole life to hone your skills. Enjoy the journey!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #8
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

i get a bit rusty. work too, has kept me off.
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

yes, so does the bike
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #10
nit8690
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r soon

I feel akward for a moment but as soon as I get moving I feel right as rain lol. I dont have a bike yet but I take every chance I can to ride. weathers its a day a month or a few years I always feel fine once I get back on