ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 16th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

DNA stage 3 filter? Anyone?

My other exhaust thread got a littlel jumbled so i wanted to make this thread. Please dont fill this up with nonsence, id like to hear from people actually using it.

They claim 5-6hp with this filter. I dont believe it, unless they are claiming it with exhaust as well. Search doesnt come up with much.

Has anyone used the DNA filter and the KN? Is there a noticable difference? Even if its 1 or 2 hp over a KN, thats worth it to me. I understand you need to re-jet or re-tune.

Im talking the stage 3 filter kit, replaces the whole airbox and everything. Not OEM replacement. Anyone?
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

http://e-dnafilters.com/Product.asp?ID=1676

http://www.dnafilters.com/en/news/pr...2008-2013.html

It looks like a glorified K&N.

Old February 16th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
My other exhaust thread got a littlel jumbled so i wanted to make this thread. Please dont fill this up with nonsence, id like to hear from people actually using it.

They claim 5-6hp with this filter. I dont believe it, unless they are claiming it with exhaust as well. Search doesnt come up with much.

Has anyone used the DNA filter and the KN? Is there a noticable difference? Even if its 1 or 2 hp over a KN, thats worth it to me. I understand you need to re-jet or re-tune.

Im talking the stage 3 filter kit, replaces the whole airbox and everything. Not OEM replacement. Anyone?
Any stock filter replacement will net you 1-2 HP.
The DNA Filter kit looks comparable in construction to a K&N w/ the addition of a crankcase filter. The airbox design and HP claims need some proof, however they are possible depending on how the test bike was dynoed in the first place.
Have you taken a look at the wiki?
https://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Air_filters_for_newgens
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Bigballsofpaint

Not to derail much more but i have seen the wiki, it shows nothing of the DNA Stage 3 kit. And yes, it does look like a glorified KN, im not argueing that. If this thread doesnt generate results that are sufficient i will just email the company asking if they have any proof and what that 5-6 hp gain entailed.

I would appreciate only replies from people who have used the DNA Stage 3 kit and their results, or at the very least people who have seen it in use by someone else with what they thought about it.

Old February 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #5
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

I live in Greece...Dinos Nikolaidis Airfilters is a very well-known company throughout Europe for its quality products and in Greece it is highly prefered over K&N even if more expensive some times....
That is a general rule applied here, like the preference you have for Area P's products (totally justifiable IMHO)...
However there are a few things that must be said when it comes to dyno figures...just because there was a lot of discussion about these figures here when the claimed 5-6hp gain was announced and advertised....
so DNA after several greek forums demands gave the conditions under which those 5-6 hp were produced over a totaly stock FI bike
1) those figures are valid ONLY for the FI model
2) power gain of a max 5,9hp difference was the outcome of a fullLeo Vince racing exhaust system coupled with dynojet PC V and the stage 3 DNA product, which in turn was 1,2 hp (claimed) over the same upgrades but with competetive (K&N) airbox drop-in product
3) PC V programming was set for the DNA stage 3 product when dynoed the competitor...
4) no data on how many rolls on dyno for each scenario or humidity/temp conditions...

So my guess is the product does have a gain over the competitor but somewhere in the 0,6-0,8hp of max power...

so the gain is not pure horsepower from an airfilter...however there is a great gain that is not only there, but is felt too...
for one even if the max hp is not so much improved, lower and middle rpm torque is greatly benefited because of the better/quicker engine breathing compared to the stock airbox drop-in products (that's why almost everyone over here withFI bikes have messed with doing stuff and driling holes to the airbox etc)
the second thing is that the engine becomes far more quick revving throughout the rpm range, improving acceleration figures that give an "increased hp" feeling...

So if you are talking about the US carburated version, results will definetely be different...

that is all I know and can tell you for sure... whether the product is value for money or not is another thing just as others would point out that upgrading the 250 is also questionable as far as value for money is concerned...
hope I have helped you more than I -perhaps- confused you..

Old February 16th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Bigballsofpaint

Thanks Nick, i know its a popular upgrade overseas so i was hoping someone would chime in. Thats exactly what i was looking for, i was to eek every pony out of this little bike so i very well may go with the ecotron FI system and this DNA filter. Now just need to figure out the exhaust.

Old February 16th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #7
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Thanks Nick, i know its a popular upgrade overseas so i was hoping someone would chime in. Thats exactly what i was looking for, i was to eek every pony out of this little bike so i very well may go with the ecotron FI system and this DNA filter. Now just need to figure out the exhaust.
Welcome Jay ! Ecotron is an excellent Fi system with very good reviews of customer support in the states...however much greater gains can be achieved with a stock pair of 300's TBs since they are quite larger and thus feeding more/better the engine especially in the high rpm range, without depriving any torque/throttle response in the low/mid range or extra fuel consumption and that is the greater advantage of the Fi over the simplicity in tuning carbs...
IMHO, once you see the gains from the 32mm TBs you will feel that spending that much on air pods was a waste of money when comparing gain/cost ratio...
Shawn (garth285) can guide you through this setup since he already has experience with it on his turbo project...

Old February 18th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #8
Bigballsofpaint

I PMed Shawn but no responce yet, i checked out his site on it. The list of parts isnt long but i question whether or not i need the flywheel fromt he 300 for an FI swap? I dont see why i would, its mainly ECU, TB, misc sensors and fuel pump. Not a big deal, in this case though the DNA filter does not fit the 300 TB's, so i would have to do a KN filter. Trying to figure this out soonish so i can order everything and have time to dyno and install before June

Old February 18th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #9
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Quote:
I PMed Shawn but no responce yet, i checked out his site on it. The list of parts isnt long but i question whether or not i need the flywheel fromt he 300 for an FI swap? I dont see why i would, its mainly ECU, TB, misc sensors and fuel pump. Not a big deal, in this case though the DNA filter does not fit the 300 TB's, so i would have to do a KN filter. Trying to figure this out soonish so i can order everything and have time to dyno and install before June
the 250 Fi european version and the 300 share the same flywheel which I believe is necessary to properly operating the FI ecu and sensors...It is different in the position and number of "readers" for ignition on its outside perimeter...so instead of purchasing a 300 flywheel (which is probably more costly to buy even used), you could look for an FI 250 flywheel and save some bucks...the German ebay is one of the cheapest and most abundant source for european version parts of the bike but many more could be found if you search-a-lot ! if you are going for that kind of stuff you will have a much better and fuel saving engine altogether and any filter then will do ! My build has some data concerning the FI mods so it might be of use to check out my thread. I've taken that a few steps further maybe but this could provide you with some ideas and/or info you might need on the way...
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198145
and of course the so informative thread by cuong-nutz that has saved me lot of money... https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180069

Old February 18th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Bigballsofpaint

ya ive read through both threads at time when i had no intentions of modding so i will re-check them out again. I dont know if i want to go through that much work to go FI, ecotrons may be easier. Or just re jetting....

Its a track bike that sees few road miles (maybe 1,000 miles a year), so im not sure.

Old September 20th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #11
pb3
ninjette.org member

Name: parker

Motorcycle(s): 09 n250, 14 n300, 22 n400

no one seemed to notice the big support bracket "dirt shield" which i believed was well thought out.

ebay: http://tinyurl.com/qgvv5l7
UK amazon: http://tinyurl.com/neeyc36

has anyone addressed support of the carb/ pod filter? rubber intake boots give me second thoughts.
anyone have this installed? is it sold in the US?
pb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #12
pb3
ninjette.org member

well i bought one. took about 10 days from greece. off ebay. i was wrong, this is simply a mat, no rigidity at all. now just more weight hanging off the boots. i will investigate using something perhaps with the oem airbox frame mounting points.

Old November 8th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #13
pb3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
how do you know this? seems everyone with a 300 is putting k&n pod filter R-0990 which also fits the 250 afaik.

Old November 8th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Bigballsofpaint

Well i did make this thread over 1.5 years ago, so at that time it may not have been listed to fit the 300....

I have since just done an area-p exhaust with the KN and did a re-jet. Made 30.5whp

I then went and bought a bigger track bike...so the 250 doesnt get much attention these days.

Old February 13th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #15
pb3
ninjette.org member

update. tried installing this on the 300. shouldn't have made a difference since both 250 and 300 have a 50mm OD. but this filter's ID is 43mm!
awaiting word from greece.
ordered r-0990.
not happy.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:57 AM   #16
pb3
ninjette.org member

the latest reply i've gotten from the seller in greece is that DNA "built only for previous TB."

i know my carburetor is a keihin cvk30. i'm not aware of prior 250 versions... is there one where the air intake is ~44mm?

Old February 22nd, 2017, 03:31 PM   #17
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb3 View Post
the latest reply i've gotten from the seller in greece is that DNA "built only for previous TB."

i know my carburetor is a keihin cvk30. i'm not aware of prior 250 versions... is there one where the air intake is ~44mm?
The filter is designed for the FI version of the 250, which has a throttle body with a 28mm inner diameter and likely a 44mm outer diameter.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:04 PM   #18
pb3
ninjette.org member

outstanding. that sounds like the same size as the ecotrons kit?

Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:20 PM   #19
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

so...this would not fit the 250 carb'd version? What is the ID of the R-0990 versus this thing?
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:26 AM   #20
pb3
ninjette.org member

the K&N ID is 49mm

Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:01 AM   #21
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Are you measuring the part that slips over the carb or the opening designed to align with the venturi (i.e. the smaller opening)?
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #22
pb3
ninjette.org member

seller won't stand behind their mistake. they've updated their page to now reflect EFI fitment. horrible company. buyer beware.

Old August 5th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #23
pb3
ninjette.org member

well i bought one. took about 10 days from greece. off ebay. i was wrong, this is simply a mat, no rigidity at all. now just more weight hanging off the boots. i will investigate using something perhaps with the oem airbox frame mounting points.

036a.JPG