ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 14th, 2020, 10:51 AM   #1
GrittyWhiskey
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250, 96 vfr750, 84 rz350

Yet another 'bike sat, cranks but no start' thread

Hey all, not new to bikes or cars, but I'm pretty stumped. Hopefully one of you can make me feel stupid.

Sold my 2010 250 track bike to a buddy of mine a couple years ago. Fast forward to the now times, and I discovered it's been sitting outside in the high Colorado mountains since day one, and hasn't been ridden, or even started . Needless to say, I have the bike back.

Battery is weak, so I've been jumping it with a car, engine off. Pulled the carbs out and cleaned them, even though they looked remarkably clean. Floats and float needles looked great, and float needle tips moved just fine. Replaced the blackened spark plugs with new guys, and both coils are sparking. Petcock isn't allowing fuel to flow when on is selected, and the bowls are drained. Both cylinders passed the thumb compression test.

Bike will not start without the helping hand of some starting fluid. With the juice, it runs just long enough to burn it, and then die. By my math, the bike is getting the 4 things it needs to live, but is still unhappy.

What stupid thing am I forgetting?
Thanks in advance
GrittyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2020, 10:59 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrittyWhiskey View Post
Hey all, not new to bikes or cars, but I'm pretty stumped. Hopefully one of you can make me feel stupid.

Sold my 2010 250 track bike to a buddy of mine a couple years ago. Fast forward to the now times, and I discovered it's been sitting outside in the high Colorado mountains since day one, and hasn't been ridden, or even started . Needless to say, I have the bike back.

Battery is weak, so I've been jumping it with a car, engine off. Pulled the carbs out and cleaned them, even though they looked remarkably clean. Floats and float needles looked great, and float needle tips moved just fine. Replaced the blackened spark plugs with new guys, and both coils are sparking. Petcock isn't allowing fuel to flow when on is selected, and the bowls are drained. Both cylinders passed the thumb compression test.

Bike will not start without the helping hand of some starting fluid. With the juice, it runs just long enough to burn it, and then die. By my math, the bike is getting the 4 things it needs to live, but is still unhappy.

What stupid thing am I forgetting?
Thanks in advance
Not getting fuel for some reason.

Open the floatbowl drains to see if you have fuel - I'm guessing you don't. That would suggest the petcock isn't flowing due to lack of vacuum or plugged screens. Also check the inline fuel filter at the carb inlet.

If you do have fuel in the bowls, it could be plugged Pilot Jets or idle mixture passages. Have you adjusted the idle mixture screws? 2.5 turns out is usually a good start, then adjust to the highest RPMs when warm.

Tank is clean, fuel is fresh?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2020, 11:12 AM   #3
GrittyWhiskey
ninjette.org newbie

Ah, I should have said that fuel isn't flowing when the petcock is on PRI, not ON. Plenty of fuel is getting to the bowls with the petcock on ON.

When I had the carbs apart yesterday, the jets were just fine. With them with carb cleaner and a needle just to be sure, but still. No inline fuel filter on the bike, just the cute little filter in the tank. I did drain the tank yesterday, and put 3 gallons of fresh fuel in. Inside looks remarkably good for holding 2+ year, unstabilized gas. Also reinstalled the mixture screws 2.5 turns from tight

Old May 14th, 2020, 12:17 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The stock fuel inlet at the carb has a filter in it. Check that to be sure it's not clogged.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2020, 01:02 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrittyWhiskey View Post
Ah, I should have said that fuel isn't flowing when the petcock is on PRI, not ON. Plenty of fuel is getting to the bowls with the petcock on ON.

When I had the carbs apart yesterday, the jets were just fine. With them with carb cleaner and a needle just to be sure, but still. No inline fuel filter on the bike, just the cute little filter in the tank. I did drain the tank yesterday, and put 3 gallons of fresh fuel in. Inside looks remarkably good for holding 2+ year, unstabilized gas. Also reinstalled the mixture screws 2.5 turns from tight
Pretty sure fuel should flow freely in PRIME and not in ON - ON should require vacuum to flow.

If you have fuel in the floatbowls then you are not drawing it up to the venturi - which would suggest the Pilot Jets or idle mixture passages are plugged. Did you remove the Pilot Jets and check the small holes?

Have you tried opening the throttle slowly as you are cranking? "Choke" is set to full ON position?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2020, 02:27 PM   #6
GrittyWhiskey
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks everyone, I got it figured out. There was some gunk in one of the idle mix holes that didn't come out when getting sprayed, and I couldn't see in the overcast light outside yesterday. After some coaxing with some more cleaner/compressed air/needle, it runs like a top again.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.