ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Where is the Oil Screen?

Hi,

I was just wondering where the Oil Screen is, please post a PIC!

After dropping the Oil filter assembly out (during last oil change) I reached up and Felt around for that Oil Screen... but couldnt find it!!!

Where is it at? Please post PICs!

*If anyone is gonna do a Oil change soon this season! *

I just wanna know so next time i change the Oil, Ill check the Oil Screen to see if I too have Metal Scraps! (my Oil filters havent had any signs of Metal in them, so far)
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
couldn't find any info on ninjette... but the first entry on google yeilded this: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Checking_the_oil_screen

Old May 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM   #3
QuarterBoreNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): Why do you care?

Here's an image to help you see where the screen is located, it's basically the #14091 housing that contains the oil drain plug. It's easy to remove the 5 bolts (8mm), drop the housing and pull the oil screen. FYI, have a 11061-0341 gasket ($5) on hand, I needed to replace the gasket on both 250's when I pulled the oil screens at 500 miles. Torque spec on the bolts for the housing is 87 in/lbs...

QuarterBoreNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM   #4
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreNinja View Post
Here's an image to help you see where the screen is located, it's basically the #14091 housing that contains the oil drain plug. It's easy to remove the 5 bolts (8mm), drop the housing and pull the oil screen. FYI, have a 11061-0341 gasket ($5) on hand, I needed to replace the gasket on both 250's when I pulled the oil screens at 500 miles. Torque spec on the bolts for the housing is 87 in/lbs...

Cool, thanks!

I was guessing it was shown in this diagram, but wasnt 100% sure!

If the oil screen Gasket doesnt tear when i take it off... think i could re-use it? - Id play it safe with a New gasket, but a backup plan if I need to re-use it.

Old May 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM   #5
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 1000 - 2011, Ninja H2 SX SE - 2018

Don't risk it with the gasket, just change it, I paid like 3$ here at the dealer here in Canada..

but maybe you will want to clean the screen instead of replacing it, that little thing is like 20$
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Focus Mike
ninjette.org member

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Ninja 250R

I did my own oil change and I never got around to it, nor did I know it existed. Is it a big deal if I don't every clean the screen?
Focus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:14 AM   #7
QuarterBoreNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Mike View Post
I did my own oil change and I never got around to it, nor did I know it existed. Is it a big deal if I don't every clean the screen?

On both my '09's the oil screens only had a few small metal particles caught in them, they mainly had slime and sludge collected most likely created by the assembly lubes and greases used during the engine build process. I probably didn't need to pull the screens but it was nice to confirm a smooth break-in and clean out the slime...
QuarterBoreNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM   #8
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 1000 - 2011, Ninja H2 SX SE - 2018

In about 300 KMs I'm going to do my oil change to synthetic (i'm going for Motul 7100 Ester 100% Synthetic) This will be my 4th oil change in 5000 KM, 1st @ 500, 2nd @ 2000, and 3rd @ 3500, this may sound unnecessary to you, but hey, it's my bike!

About cleaning the oil screen, well it isn't required you clean it, if it was, it would be in the periodic maintenance schedule. Should you clean it? I definitely would, anything that has the potential to restrict oil flow should be looked after, especially since many of you have just completed the break-in period and it's likely that your screen is full of slime (excess gasket residue, metal particles, or anything else that may of have come loose during the break in period)

Here is a DIY video on how to do this yourself:

Link to original page on YouTube.

jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great DIY link. Thanks.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Focus Mike
ninjette.org member

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Ninja 250R

I will have to look into these part numbers next time I do my oil change. I will most likely change out the gaskets and order a new screen for a few bucks vs cleaning the old one.
Focus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:02 PM   #11
ScorpionNinja

Thanks for the DIY!

Now I see a possible problem, If you never replace or clean away the metal pieces and stuff from there, their might be a chance some of it may jump up back into the Gears during shifting!!!

I wonder what mine looks like, lol! I think ill change out the oil screen/gasket with my next oil change, just to be sure!

Im WELL PAST the break-in period with over 7,200 miles atm~

I can imagine all the metal flakes chilling on my oil screen!

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #12
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I thought I would remind others that this is a good maintenance item to put on your list of things to complete. Also, here's the cheapest place I could find for the replacement gasket. $3.29 each + $1.75 shipping.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...1061-0341.html

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2023, 08:21 AM   #13
foo_dog
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Kawasaki VN750, 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Resurrecting this old thread like I'm resurrecting this old 2001 Ninja 250...

Bike had been sitting for a while, previous owner did minimum maintenance. 8000 miles, 22 years, figured while I was changing the oil might as well check the screen.

Got the oil screen cover off (5 bolts - keep in mind the two that go on the popup side of the oil screen cover are slightly longer). Took some finesse. Bolts came off but the cover itself was stuck tight. Had the bike up on the center stand, felt nervous crawling under there to wiggle it. Ended up using a wooden dowel I had lying around, placed that against the side of the oil screen cover and tapped it slightly with a rubber mallet. Popped off after a few gentle hits.

The cover was stuck to the underside of the block from the paper gasket which had turned to a burnt crust. It came off in pieces so reusing it was not an option. Took to scraping it with a straight razor and then 800 grit sandpaper on a flat board. No more gasket but also took off some paint. Hoping I didn't do more harm than good this way.

Screen was full of mush, gasket material, other junk so worth cleaning out.

These particular paper gaskets are becoming slightly more of a rarity, was able to order 2 off ebay for the reinstall and future work, waiting on them. My question if anyone is familiar would be - is there any gotchas to installing a paper gasket? Any need to grease the surfaces? Apply motor oil? Permatex liquid gasket? This particular gasket isn't seeing much pressure I'm guessing but still want to avoid possible oil drips. And since its a gasket that will come off every few oil changes want to make this reversible.

Reinstall torque for the bolts is somewhere around 7 ft/lbs I believe, but something else to check.
foo_dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2023, 08:47 AM   #14
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Usually don't need any gasket-sealer on paper gaskets.

You can use thin layer of sealant on one side only if you wish. Then gasket will come off on that side next time you remove.

If both surfaces are clean and flat, you can use gasket-maker without gasket:

- Toyota FIPG
- Yamabond 4 (not 5 as it's silicone)
- Hondabond 4
- Permatex Grey Stuff

Tighten with torque-wrench in criss-cross pattern to 1/2-torque. Let sit couple hours for sealant to dry. Then tighten to final torque. NOTE: torque wrench will NOT click on these low torque settings. It'll do more of >clunk< and handle will break & give a little.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2023, 10:12 AM   #15
foo_dog
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Kawasaki VN750, 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Ah excellent advice. I recall hearing this before, about letting it sit half torqued to setup first. Fingers crossed end of week I'll have oil back in this machine and maybe take a test ride.
foo_dog is offline   Reply With Quote