ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

First time getting pulled over

So today I was riding on the highway (route 100 to be exact, it is very notorious for having so many cops around) just cruising around 80 mph in the fast lane. This highway has a posted speed limit of 55. So i get behind this SUV going 60 in the fast lane and he hits the brakes real quick. So instantly i know that there are cops perched in a normal perching spot ahead but I didnt really pay any mind to them. After that i was able to get around the SUV and increased to my cruising speed of 80. Well a minute or 2 after that i see a black chevy SUV and as he gets closer and closer, bam he turns his lights on. Well i immediately pull over and was sitting there for a few moments when the cop gets next to me and actually startles me since i was looking in my mirrors and never saw anyone get out. He first asked me if my gopro camera was on and i said yes would you like me to turn it off? he said he didnt care. (turns out my camera was off so good thing nothing crazy happened later) After getting my license and registration and handing me a warning for speeding, he asks how much footage my camera could hold and how good the quality would be. I told him on my 16 gig SD card i could get about an hour and a half on the best resolution setting. He asked me this because there was a fatal motorcycle crash on the exit ramp just ahead of us and the motorcyclist also had a camera like mine and that it was in their forensics lab trying to get any data off of it. After explaining that the quality would be pretty bad at night he lets me go. I proceed to ride around the highway around 70 - 75 but this time just cruising in the slow lane keeping up with the traffic around me.

So thats my story of my first time being pulled over ever. Would anyone else like to share their story?
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hey nice let you off. i honestly dont remember my first ticket... i get tickets quite a lot... my last ticket was for doing 85 in a 55 surface street on the 250... i didnt notice the 2 cops behind me right away so was startled when i got to work. they thought i was running so they tried to pull me off the bike and patted me down and stuff. was pretty funny considering it was right in front of my work and my coworkers saw the whole thing.

Old June 6th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Yea i know it could be used as evidence and that was the first thing that popped into my mind as well since that was the first thing he asked me. "is that thing on?" but since it turned out it was off all is well

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
That is what I saw when I read that.

As for my first time (on a bike) I was doing 80-85 in a 65. Cop followed me for 4 miles, had lights and sirens on for 1/4 mile but I did not hear or see him (and yes I was checking mirrors although 80mph for 1/4 mile takes a second). He pulls along side me and points for me to get over, which I do. I stop, he gets out comes over to the bike tells me not to remove my gear and tells me that he knows its hard to ride a motorcycle with one hand so I should just be careful and try ot watch my speedometer more and leaves. Not even a written warning and no paperwork exchange.
nice!!!

Old June 6th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #5
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Welcome to the club.
Glad he let you go. Not that I make a habit of it, but I have never gotten a warning. Fortunately in both cases they were at least cool/professional about it all.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Jinx250
Smoker

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Pulled over 5 times, zero tickets. The last time was because the officer said "it sounded like you were flying!" cause I had a Muzzy and had whacked the throttle off the line. Quick check of the old papers and I was good. He could not believe it was a 250 cause of how it sounded.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
headshrink

That's interesting. I always had the impression there was nothing I could say to talk myself out of a ticket.... I'm always polite, and ask a bunch of questions so that I am clear about what gets me pulled over, and what doesn't (I don't put it that way).

Incidentally, both times the officer asked what size bike I was on. The first was CHP (car), and I interpreted his question and tone to be mostly out of surprise because it looked small for a sport bike. The second was a local LEO on a motorcycle (Kawi), who seemed to be asking more out of personal interest, also likely noticed the small size. This guy was asking a lot of seemingly random questions, but since we were going over additional licenses and disclosures, I just figured he was partly making other assessments, but partly curious too. Now if we could only have these conversations under different circumstances, I would be ok with that.

Old June 8th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Pulled over 5 times, zero tickets. The last time was because the officer said "it sounded like you were flying!" cause I had a Muzzy and had whacked the throttle off the line. Quick check of the old papers and I was good. He could not believe it was a 250 cause of how it sounded.
you have been pulled over 5 times all on your bike? and what did you do to not get any tickets?

Old June 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #9
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
hey nice let you off. i honestly dont remember my first ticket... i get tickets quite a lot... my last ticket was for doing 85 in a 55 surface street on the 250... i didnt notice the 2 cops behind me right away so was startled when i got to work. they thought i was running so they tried to pull me off the bike and patted me down and stuff. was pretty funny considering it was right in front of my work and my coworkers saw the whole thing.
LMAO! Awesome way to arrive at work. You seem to have a natural[/accidental] knack for cool struts and grand entrances
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

My first time was BS. I was cruising along the beach...if you could even call it that. More like walking through traffic at the beach, and my visor was fogging up so I opened it to get some air. My friend I was with did the same. We happen to waddle by some state troopers who got red faced for some reason and yelled at us to pull over, so when the cars in front of us finally moved we waddled off to the parking place where they were.
They're all like hey you know you have to have your visors down right? You need eye protection, blah blah. I was like what about all these people walking past us on the sidewalk? If we need visors down to sit in traffic they should at least have some goggles or something..

Either way I got out of it and my friend got nailed for lights that looked blue. Dick

Guy even complemented me on my bike haha

Old June 8th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Old Lemon
Lays er down

dam i have my visor up almost all the time going 45 and under

Old June 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #12
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
Bad idea. I made a thread a while back to discuss this. Some good advice was given. Shortly after adhering to the advice given, a car ran over a glass bottle smashing it and sending shards of glass all over my body and face. My visor was closed so there was zero negative outcome. Coulda been a lot worse. I always keep my visor closed when I'm going faster than cycle speed.

Old June 8th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Old Lemon
Lays er down

well looking through that thread and all, i think if i want my visor up ill put down my internal visor, i can still get a little breeze and stuff probably wont be able to get directly into my eyes

Old June 8th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #14
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Wow, never heard that happen before. I go visor down because of bugs, I dont want a big ol june bug smacking me in the face at 60 mph.

June bugs! They're such magical things. I remember them from my child hood and being around friends while the June bugs were out. Strangely I don't recall seeing them again as an adult.

Old June 8th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
so where is the video?
unfortunately the camera was off

Old June 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #16
headshrink

Another member got a piece of metal in his eye.... and IIRC his shield was actually down when he thinks it happened. He has pictures and described the removal in detail. Freaked me out when I scratched my cornea a couple months later (not MC related).

Old June 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #17
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

I've gotten pulled over 3 times, never for any wrong doing, and have never gotten a ticket.

I got pulled over because the insurance was under my mom's name and the guy says "it was registered to a female"
well... you can't pull me over because you ASSUME I am a male.

God, ohwell.

Old June 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
June bugs! They're such magical things. I remember them from my child hood and being around friends while the June bugs were out. Strangely I don't recall seeing them again as an adult.
They are all over out here.

Nasty story:
Several years ago, I rode a roller-coaster that I heard on the radio was supposed to be running backwards. It wasn't. I didn't really care for the gimmick and wanted to ride it going forwards anyway. In hindsight, I wish it were running backwards.

The park was closing and they let most passengers stay on the ride a second time so that there weren't too few to run it for the last few people in line (weight is important), so I got to pick my seat and chose the very front. When it released, we crested the first hill at full speed and I opened my mouth to say something to my friend. What I was trying to say never came out because something else came in. Oh, and it didn't just come in: It hit my upper row of teeth, cracked open, and sprayed its bitter-tasting insides all over the back of my throat. I had little feelers and antennae and barbed feet prickling and so I started gagging, coughing, spitting, etc, which is not a good idea on a roller-coaster (just like motorcycles!). The people behind me couldn't have been happy about it either. Because it literally disintegrated, I can't be sure it was a June Bug beetle, but they were everywhere. The sound of it cracking open tells me it was a beetle and those were the only common nocturnal ones I saw in the area.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 11th, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #19
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

First time I got pulled over on the Ninja was about a month after I started riding. And I was arrested along with a friend of mine! The A.Hole cop could have issued a ticket or simply a warning, but arrested us for riding on an unauthorized dirt road. We were riding on a dirt road not far from my house. The charges were bogus and were later dropped, but not before all the hassle of lawyers and junk.

We figure the cop probably has a little crop out there he didn't want anyone riding up on.

As far as June bugs - we don't have those here, but we do have dragonfly's which probably make just as big of a welt on your face if you ride with your visor up.

Old June 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #20
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
They are all over out here.

Nasty story:
Several years ago, I rode a roller-coaster that I heard on the radio was supposed to be running backwards. It wasn't. I didn't really care for the gimmick and wanted to ride it going forwards anyway. In hindsight, I wish it were running backwards.

The park was closing and they let most passengers stay on the ride a second time so that there weren't too few to run it for the last few people in line (weight is important), so I got to pick my seat and chose the very front. When it released, we crested the first hill at full speed and I opened my mouth to say something to my friend. What I was trying to say never came out because something else came in. Oh, and it didn't just come it: It hit my upper row of teeth, cracked open, and sprayed its bitter-tasting insides all over the back of my throat. I had little feelers and antennae and barbed feet prickling and so I started gagging, coughing, spitting (not a good idea on a roller-coaster (just like motorcycles!). The people behind me couldn't have been happy about it either. Because it literally disintegrated, I can't be sure it was a June Bug beetle, but they were everywhere. The sound of it cracking open tells me it was a beetle and those were the only common nocturnal ones I saw in the area.
Had my hand over my mouth in horror reading that! Cool story though!

Old June 11th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #21
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
My husband got a rock in his eye and his visor wasn't up, it was slightly cracked and he said he was probably doing 15 mph in a parking lot. He learned his lesson, kinda. I still catch him taking off with it up. Lol

Quote:
The internets have declared it never happened
Lmao!
Minikin_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote