ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #1
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

An interesting statistic.

You might want to teach your kids to ride bikes instead of horses.

Maybe it would be safer if Prince Charming rolled in on a Motocross instead. An estimated 30 million Americans ride horses annually, and more than 23 000 riders under the age of 25 have been hospitalized per year as a result.

Most injuries result from falls, and can have severe and often fatal consequences. This rate of injury is higher than that of motorcycling. On average, motorcyclists suffer once every 7000 hours of riding, whereas horseback riders have an accident about once every 350 hours.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Interesting, indeed.

Before reading this, I believed that less HP and top speed was safer.

The lack of a will on its own makes the motorcycle more controllable.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Interesting, indeed.

Before reading this, I believed that less HP and top speed was safer.

The lack of a will on its own makes the motorcycle more controllable.
yeah our ninjette's don't have "bad days" or try to buck us off unless we do something wrong lol!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #4
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I read somewhere that 23% of car crashes are caused by drunks. Therefore, 77% of car crashes are caused by people who are stone cold sober. My take is that you are about 3x safer with the drunk.

On a serious note, I was so jazzed after the MSF course that as my kids get to driving age, they will take the MSF class even if they have no desire to get motorcycle endorsement. The parts of the class about traffic awareness and the concept of accumulative issues building up to a crash is really something they need to be aware of on 2 wheels or 4.

Old July 13th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

A motorcyclist having an accident once every 7000 hours... is this including the squids that crash less than 5 min after leaving the dealer?
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Yes, that squid donates his 7000 hours to another safe rider.

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Chronicles View Post
Maybe it would be safer if Prince Charming rolled in on a Motocross instead. An estimated 30 million Americans ride horses annually, and more than 23 000 riders under the age of 25 have been hospitalized per year as a result.
That's not really a valid statistic. Only people under 25 in America who can ride motorcycles are 15 and 5 months or older. Whenever I go to the barn, there's always just as many 10ish year old kids who are riding as there are young adults and adults, maybe even more young kids than adults, idk. To make that a valid comparison, it should only be looking at numbers of horse riders who are between 15.5 and 25. I bet that comparison would be a little different
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm 90% right, 42% of the time.

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It works 90% of the time, all the time. Its got real bits of panther in it, so you know it's good.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #10
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Another interesting statistic: For every motorcyclist fatality, there are twenty five fatalities in hospitals due to medical mistakes. I tell that one to the hospital ER folks I run across who mention to me how dangerous motorcycles are and why I shouldn't ride.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #11
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Another interesting statistic: For every motorcyclist fatality, there are twenty five fatalities in hospitals due to medical mistakes. I tell that one to the hospital ER folks I run across who mention to me how dangerous motorcycles are and why I shouldn't ride.
I'll have to remember that, I'm tired of hearing the organ donor spiel at hospitals.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #12
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
That's not really a valid statistic. Only people under 25 in America who can ride motorcycles are 15 and 5 months or older. Whenever I go to the barn, there's always just as many 10ish year old kids who are riding as there are young adults and adults, maybe even more young kids than adults, idk. To make that a valid comparison, it should only be looking at numbers of horse riders who are between 15.5 and 25. I bet that comparison would be a little different
Posted via Mobile Device
you're forgetting something else. not all motorcycles require licenses. when i was 7 years old on my xr70 do you think i had a license? just because it doesn't ride on paved roads doesn't make it a motorcycle.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #13
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

I volunteer as First Aid for the local children horse riding program, Westernaires, it's been around for over 60 years and has had thousands and thousands of kids, 9-19 generally, come through it - with one fatality about 20 years ago. Those kids can ride very hard and fast as they advance...
I ride home from there every weekend and have a better chance of seeing the leftovers of a fellow motorcyclist in a serious accident then seeing any of those kids in an ambulance or any injury. But that's why I know they can frame numbers to come out for whatever purpose is desired. And I have no idea what was behind the original crunching of statistics from where those numbers come from but I definitely would rather have my 12 year old on a horse rather than on the road riding a motorcycle.

Quote:
You might want to teach your kids to ride bikes instead of horses.

Most injuries result from falls, and can have severe and often fatal consequences. This rate of injury is higher than that of motorcycling. On average, motorcyclists suffer once every 7000 hours of riding, whereas horseback riders have an accident about once every 350 hours.
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #14
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

You can always also throw in there that less than 30,000 people in the U.S. die each year due to firearms, and around 60% of those are suicides. Or that 35,000 people in the U.S. die yearly from the flu, and of course that Medical Malpractice takes an average of 100,000 people in the U.S. every year. I would think people with the flu are more likely to be organ donors...

Quote:
I'll have to remember that, I'm tired of hearing the organ donor spiel at hospitals.
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Every male on my dad's side of the family has ridden horses and gotten seriously injured.

Old July 14th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #16
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedhunter View Post
You can always also throw in there that less than 30,000 people in the U.S. die each year due to firearms, and around 60% of those are suicides. Or that 35,000 people in the U.S. die yearly from the flu, and of course that Medical Malpractice takes an average of 100,000 people in the U.S. every year. I would think people with the flu are more likely to be organ donors...
I've heard from trauma nurses that crotch rocket riders don't make good organ donors. They're usually going too fast and are splattered all over the road beyond any good use. Apparently those on more relaxed rides usually offer up the good organs if such an unfortunate event happens.

Old July 14th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Every male on my dad's side of the family has ridden horses and gotten seriously injured.
What are the typical injuries associated to horses and how do they happen?

Old July 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #18
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
I've heard from trauma nurses that crotch rocket riders don't make good organ donors. They're usually going too fast and are splattered all over the road beyond any good use. Apparently those on more relaxed rides usually offer up the good organs if such an unfortunate event happens.
The best donors are those who don't wear helmets. It takes surprisingly little trauma delivered to the head to leave a rider brain-dead, and that low level of trauma often leave the organs in really good condition for transplant.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #19
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Makes a lot of sense really. I've read stories of people dying from trying to kick start their bikes, falling over, and hitting their head on the curb.

Yay for helmets!

Old July 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
What are the typical injuries associated to horses and how do they happen?
I wanted to give you some statistics, so I googled "horse riding injuries" and clicked on the first link.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.horse.htm

From the second paragraph, which I guess nakedhunter already stated:

"Believe it or not!
Horseback riding carries a higher injury rate than motorcycle riding. On average, motorcyclists suffer an injury once every 7000 hours of riding. By contrast, an equestrian (horseback rider) may have a serious accident once every 350 hours."

My dad broke his thumb and leg, my uncle broke his arm, and I'm not sure what my grandfather broke, but he broke something.

Old July 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Thanks, Jaymie; very informative link.