ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 20th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #1
seth hall
Random Ninja Rider

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250exe

Chain Lube

So I just got my bike.... What are some things I can DIY for my bike, and what things should I take into a mechanic to get check-ups or fixes for (that are pretty frequent).

Also, I see a bunch of people asking questions about Chain Lube. When should I put that on? How do I do it? What does it help? Im pretty confused right now
seth hall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #2
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

I've learned that you can DIY pretty much everything, especially on this bike. I do all my own work, and I live in an apartment without a garage. Barely even knew how an engine worked when I started. Only thing I've ever taken it to the shop for was a tire change - wheel balancers are a pain to store in an apartment. Have you checked out the wiki yet? It has writeups on how to do almost everything you could ever want for this bike.

As for chain lube, I put some on every 300-400 miles, more if it's been raining. Motul C2 chain lube is good stuff to use. Here is the chain lube article that will answer all your questions.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

If you ride every day, or most days...

lube every week.

clean and lube every month.

if you are looking at miles...

like 250- 300 lube

500-1000 miles clean and lube.

good idea to clean and lube if you wash the bike...

good idea to clean and lube if you ride through a huge rain storm, where there is mud or grit splashed onto the bike.

I use a can of spray grease, nothing special, nothing expensive... if you make it easy and simple, you will do it more often (as you should)

if you touch your chain and don't get wet black on your fingers... you need to lube.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I use Original Bike Spirits Chain Lube.

No fling off, no complaints. Web Bike World loved it.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Having a pregen means you are lucky with the center stand. Just lift it up and spin the wheel.

Newgen bikes lack that stand so lubing the chain is slightly more annoying.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #6
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

I do it abour every 500 miles.
salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #7
seth hall
Random Ninja Rider

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250exe

Thank you everyone for your input and your knowledge you have shared with me! You're all amazing!
seth hall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #8
amad1972
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250

I prefer spray chain wax to oil. It doesn't sling off and smells nice, too. I do mine about every 500 miles. Easy to remember on the 1,000 or 500 mark. Make sure to lube after you have ridden it a bit, so the chain is warm. That helps it draw in the lube/wax better.

Old August 20th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If your bike didn't come with an owners manual, check out this sticky thread at the top of the pre-gen tech area:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84112

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I just hit it with chain cleaner when dirty and lube it with maxima chain wax.
I spray the chain from 3 places, i spray the chain on the inside below the swing arm lightly as the chain is moving, and on the outside at the rear sprocket as the chain is turning, and finally with the bike on a stand in 6th gear turning at idle i spray through the sprocket cover on the sprocket next to the chain to force the lube into the rollers as there is no easy other way to get it there.
Getting the lube into the rollers is more important than just about anything else you can do for the chain.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2014, 09:54 AM   #11
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

If you have an O-ring chain, the rollers are pre filled with lubricant, and you can't get chain lube inside them if the O-rings are intact. That's why O-ring chains last so much longer than standard chains. If any of the O-rings are cracked or missing, it's time for a new chain.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2014, 11:25 AM   #12
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
If you have an O-ring chain, the rollers are pre filled with lubricant, and you can't get chain lube inside them if the O-rings are intact. That's why O-ring chains last so much longer than standard chains. If any of the O-rings are cracked or missing, it's time for a new chain.
well, for the most part, true... but lets look just a little deeper.

my above list did not include, but should have.

"clean a chain cold, grease a chain when it's warm"

the chain "breaths"... that is, when it warms up, the sealed grease inside (behind the "O" rings) will expand and a tiny bit will squeeze out, this is normal and correct...

as the chain cools it will "suck" that tiny bit of grease back in...

So. if you clean a chain when it's cold, all the "sucking" will be done and you won't pull any of the cleaning solution in past the "O" rings....

if you grease it when it's warm... new grease will be coating the "O" rings and as it cools the new grease will be pulled in.

in the extreme cases, where chains have been neglected to the point where "O" rings are over heated, crack, split or other wise fail... the heating and cooling cycles will cause grease to be pumped out and water/grit/damp night air to be pulled in.

chain failure is right around the corner... The bigger the bike, the more torque on the chain, the more hit and miss the maint on the chain...

the more likely you will get the "red dust of death"... if your chain has the red tint... it's toast.

I keep a can of the spray grease right there where I park the bike... I get home from work, it's up on the stand, fire the engine and put it in first at idle... spray the joint between the plates from both sides, and just a spritz in the middle to keep the sprocket a little moist...

you do that once a week or so, you chain will last as long as it can.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

The pins that hold the links together are what the O-Rings or X-Rings protect from losing grease to keep lubricated full time.

You have to get the lube under the rollers for them to get lubed, you'll know when you have not put enough lube on when you start to see a brown color between the chain links. Spray a lot more and closer to the links to get enough in there, you can use the back sprocket or the front sprocket to redirect the flow of lube into it if you use a spray can method.

Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2014, 03:48 PM   #14
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
well, for the most part, true... but lets look just a little deeper.

my above list did not include, but should have.

"clean a chain cold, grease a chain when it's warm"

the chain "breaths"... that is, when it warms up, the sealed grease inside (behind the "O" rings) will expand and a tiny bit will squeeze out, this is normal and correct...

as the chain cools it will "suck" that tiny bit of grease back in...

So. if you clean a chain when it's cold, all the "sucking" will be done and you won't pull any of the cleaning solution in past the "O" rings....

if you grease it when it's warm... new grease will be coating the "O" rings and as it cools the new grease will be pulled in.

in the extreme cases, where chains have been neglected to the point where "O" rings are over heated, crack, split or other wise fail... the heating and cooling cycles will cause grease to be pumped out and water/grit/damp night air to be pulled in.

chain failure is right around the corner... The bigger the bike, the more torque on the chain, the more hit and miss the maint on the chain...

the more likely you will get the "red dust of death"... if your chain has the red tint... it's toast.

I keep a can of the spray grease right there where I park the bike... I get home from work, it's up on the stand, fire the engine and put it in first at idle... spray the joint between the plates from both sides, and just a spritz in the middle to keep the sprocket a little moist...

you do that once a week or so, you chain will last as long as it can.
What I posted is accurate. Yours, not quite. Let's look even deeper.

You assume that the elasticity of the O-rings cannot compensate for the minor expansion and contraction of the metal components of the chain, which they do. As the metal expands, the O-rings are slightly compressed, forming an even tighter seal than when the chain is cold. As the metal contracts, the O-rings expand to their original position. That's why the O-rings are made of elastomeric material rather than, say metal. If a chain lost some of the internal grease every time it went through a heat/cool cycle, eventually there would be little or no grease in the chain.

It appears you also assume that that everyone uses a grease type lube compatible with the internal lubricant in the chain. Lubes containing wax and PTFE do not mix well with grease, but it's a moot point since sound O-rings don't allow the chain lube to reach the internal lubricant anyway.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM   #15
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
A service manual will point out everything that has to be done, when, and how.

Some things that should be done.

Keep your bike clean, including the chain. Lube it frequently, along with all pivot joints, cables, etc.

Old August 23rd, 2014, 01:07 PM   #16
C-Bass
ninjette.org member

Name: C-Bass

Motorcycle(s): Currently own: 98 Honda VTR1000, 02 Suzuki's DR200 & DR650, 04 & 08 BUSA's, 05 Ducati SS1000, 12 Ninja 250R SE

I would avoid using the super tacky fling resistant type chain lubes for riding in dusty conditions . With this stuff applied, your chain will attract and retain lots of grit which will grind your chain and sprockets into junk in no time.

I know from experience - I have used a certain brand of this stuff under dusty conditions and the chain and sprockets on one of my bikes were trashed in only about 10,000 miles.

Good results with Castrol Chain Lube and Maxima Chain Wax (flings off and takes some of the grit with it?). Chain and sprockets life of around 25,000 miles using these brands.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote