ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 1st, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Maaco or DIY?

Think about painting my car... thoughts? If it was Maaco, I'd still do all that sanding too just as a disclaimer.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

I've seen some really really good maaco jobs, and then ive seen pretty horrible ones -.-; its always either or. most of the people ive talked to that have gone with maaco that end up getting a good paint job; did all the prep work themselves. and some have told me they even tip the people. nothing like a little bit of cash to have them put some effort into the job.
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 07:15 PM   #3
kkim

I used to work in a paint shop... prep work is 90% of a great paint job.

if you know how to sand and prep the car properly, I'd do that then have them shoot the color for you. Depending on your expectations on how long you want the paint to last, it may be advantageous to pay a bit more for them to use a higher quality paint, if that's an option.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Will shops allow you to do your own prep work? As Kelly said, prep is like 90% of the job and some shops may not want to take responsibility for crappy prep work.

If you've never done any kind of paint and body work before, I don't recommend trying to do it yourself if you're looking for pro quality. If you just want to spray bomb your car...go nuts.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:33 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
some shops may not want to take responsibility for crappy prep work.
lol... if you only knew how crappy a prep job those cheap paint places do, you would be surprised that the paint even sticks for as long as it does.

...but, yeah, you would need to check if they allow you to do at least the initial prep work so would would have a good, sanded base to start from. if you don't know about how to prep correctly, search online and I'm sure you'll find some great advice from pros. Rough rule of thumb... the more work it involves, the better the advice will be.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:04 AM   #6
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Kelly is exactly right with the prep work comment. I have been looking around to get my car painted as well, so I have been investigating local places. From what I have heard, the Maaco (think the closest is Monroeville?) is completely terrible, even if you would do your own prep.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Hmm, I really feel like I'm talking myself out of having Maaco do it now lol. I guess we'll see once this awful weather lets up

Off topic, we need a Pittsburgh ride day as soon as it STOPS RAINING. ugh. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #8
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Honestly for the $200 Maaco will charge you, you couldn't do a better job yourself. Do the prep work, and most importantly, mask off anything you don't want painted. Windows, trim, antenna... everything.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

I had a MAACO paint job done on a car that I had. I got the cheapest one and it looked fine for a year or two. Then there was some cracking on the front and a couple other places where they probably didn't prep it quite good enough. But I was still pleased for the price. It made the car look much better than it did before. I didn't prep it at all, I let them do the whole thing. But it probably would have helped to have washed it down with a degreaser or something before taking it to them.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:15 PM   #10
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

I agree about the group ride!

Anyways, what is the car and how long do you plan on keeping it? A cheap respray will do nothing for the value if you plan on selling it in a few years.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lol... if you only knew how crappy a prep job those cheap paint places do, you would be surprised that the paint even sticks for as long as it does.
I once had a paint job that started cracking a month after I got the car back haha. Good times....never again.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #12
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I had an old car painted at Maaco once. Remember, they have differnt, "levels" of paint jobs. I paid for the best paing job they offered. I did do all my own body work, and was very pleased with the work.

Old May 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I didn't know they even did bikes. Would they let you bring in just the fairings? I'd expect it cheaper than that considering the effort and costs are much less than a car.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote