ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #1
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Border Patrol Checks

After my seeing the red/blue flashing lights on the Fish and Wildlife vehicle the other night it got me to remembering the Border Patrol stop (though totally unrelated). Driving south from Lincoln, N Hampshire on Rte 93 in the summer all cars were stopped by the Border Patrol. I guess these checkpoints operate within 150 miles of the border?? The crazy thing I thought was they look in the car ask if we are all citizens (it was my wife, my 2 children, and me). I answered yes, which we are and he said thank you have a good day. Supposedly that is a common spot in NH for that stop, though we go there a couple times a year and never came accross it before. Has anyone else got experience with those border stops?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #2
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I use to live in Burlington, VT and would go snowboarding at Jay Peak a lot which is real close to the Canadian border and would go through those every now and then. All they ever did was ask if me and my buddies were citizens, never searched the car at all thank god
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #3
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

^^ never searched car - lol
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Couple places out in San Diego, going north I-5 and one out on I-8. They never bugged us thou.. Almost ran into a couple of them with the bike on old Hwy 94 out by the Tecate exit. One was making a U-turn in the midddle of the road as I came up over a hill, other was standing in a corner..... he jumped outta the way as we almost hit him

Be a nice job I think
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #5
fernieh07
ninjette.org member

Name: Fernando

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Here in Arizona they actually ask for ur passport... I have been searched several times. One time me and two other friends got stopped for a couple of hours while they searched the car cuz they said the dog found something even though the dog was like 30ft away, they also took our drivers license and did a background check... at the end they found nothing... maybe its cuz we are mexican lol
fernieh07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernieh07 View Post
... maybe its cuz we are mexican lol
uhhhh...ya! duh! lol

Its pretty sad though, I've always felt that these border patrol thing is a bunch of CRAP. Seriously, who is the government to tell me where I can live, if I wanted to go live in the netherlands, why can't I? Why do i have to go through some system to be able to live in a different country, and even if I do go through all the hassle they put me through, they still have the right to deny me. such BS!!!! Its all those freaking drug dealers that ruin it for the good people that just want to live their life a different way at some point in time in their lives.

Old September 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Passed a few on my way out to San Diego from GA while riding my 250. The dogs are trained to bark and scratch at every third car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
uhhhh...ya! duh! lol

Its pretty sad though, I've always felt that these border patrol thing is a bunch of CRAP. Seriously, who is the government to tell me where I can live, if I wanted to go live in the netherlands, why can't I? Why do i have to go through some system to be able to live in a different country, and even if I do go through all the hassle they put me through, they still have the right to deny me. such BS!!!! Its all those freaking drug dealers that ruin it for the good people that just want to live their life a different way at some point in time in their lives.
Are you serious? Being a citizen of any country grants certain rights that can't just be given to anyone and they can't police a country if they don't even know who's there.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Are you serious? Being a citizen of any country grants certain rights that can't just be given to anyone and they can't police a country if they don't even know who's there.
yes i am being serious, but at the same time i'm day dreaming of the perfect world of allowing any HUMAN BEING to live on any land of their choice...but i understand that something like that would NEVER happen.

Old September 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #9
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I went through one close to Bangor, Maine a few weeks ago. Made me very nervous as i've never been through one before and the last driver for our company got a fine a couple of days before. There were many and one with a dog which they had every vehicle sniffed. When it was my turn the young officer turned his head to see little old me in the big rig and presented himself with a big smile. Asked if i was a Canadian citizen and asked to see my passport then sent me off my way without having the dog sniff my vehicle. Officers with guns makes me nervous, i was thankful this was a pleasant check point.

Old September 20th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

I went through them several times here in San Diego, on Hwy 5 and 15. They normally just wave me through.. never been pulled over or questioned once.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2010, 05:35 AM   #11
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

I once took an amtrak train into Montreal. Supposedly it's known for all the wrong things: drug-running, bail-skipping, illegal immigration, the works. Long story short, the train was more than a little more empty after US (AND CANADIAN) border patrol questioned/frisked us (if suspect).

I actually got questioned one-way but had a pleasant conversation with the guard about visiting NYC instead.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:14 AM   #12
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
dogs are more reliable than people. dogs do not lie.
But the dog is only one part of the equation. The handlers are people, human beings, and humans have a proven track record of lying. Even police have a well-established history of lying when it suits them, and in fact, under many circumstances they are allowed and even encouraged to lie in order to extract confessions (whether real or not) from citizens.

This is the absolute indisputable truth.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Are you lying?

Old September 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM   #14
FrugalNinja250

Nope:

http://www.criminalattorney.com/blog...an-lie-to-you/

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-interrogation

There's more, just google police and lying.

It's safe to assume that the only place you can be sure an officer isn't lying is in the courtroom, under oath, though even that's not always a guarantee.

Old September 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM   #15
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250
But the dog is only one part of the equation. The handlers are people, human beings, and humans have a proven track record of lying. Even police have a well-established history of lying when it suits them, and in fact, under many circumstances they are allowed and even encouraged to lie in order to extract confessions (whether real or not) from citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250
Nope:

http://www.criminalattorney.com/blog...an-lie-to-you/

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-interrogation

There's more, just google police and lying.

It's safe to assume that the only place you can be sure an officer isn't lying is in the courtroom, under oath, though even that's not always a guarantee.
Wow, painting an entire profession as liars, with one wide stroke?

Of course, your two links above aren't in any way biased, are they?

Old September 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #16
FrugalNinja250

Both links cite various appellate and SCOTUS cases to back up their statements and conclusions. Feel free to follow up on the cites, or not. It's your choice. I can show you the information, but I can't understand it for you.

Just to add, if enough members of any identifiable group act in a particular manner on a consistent basis, it's only a matter of time before all members of that group are identified with that manner of behavior, right or wrong. That's just the way it is. The more intense the behavior is the smaller percentage is required to define the group, hence over a billion people in the world have the reputation of being terrorists just because of the actions of a tiny percentage of them (certainly less than one tenth of one percent).

For decades the LEO profession has been earning a broad-based reputation for being a haven for bullies and other maloprops seeking power and a venue to abuse others, of which lying and prevarication are but the mildest. The entire industry, and I use that term in it's most literal sense, seems to be designed more for revenue extraction and procedural prosecution/incarceration than for finding truth and justice. Look at the number of innocent people exonerated from death row, for instance. Many were put there because of lying by both LEOs and prosecutors. The justice project responsible for most of those exonerations only looks at capital cases, not more run of the mill stuff. It's easy to realize that putting innocent people in prison is far more widespread than most people would like to believe.

Look at Tulia, Texas, who's lying undercover officer arrested, prosecuted, and in many cases incarcerated for crimes they didn't commit almost 50 people, 40 of whom were black. 1 out of 3 black males in the entire town. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulia,_Texas. Innocent is innocent, period. Look at the Dallas undercover operation that used fake drugs to arreste, jail, fine, and/or deport almost 40 Hispanics: http://www.november.org/razorwire/rzold/27/page03.html.

How about the recent beating of a motorcyclist by several Dallas cops, discussed within the last few days here?

It goes on and on, and people look the other way because they don't want to take these thugs in blue off their pedestal. Sure there are good and honorable LEOs out there, but why do even they let their fellow officers get away with, sometimes literally, murder? Is a good cop who looks the other way from bad cops still a good cop? Many say yes, I say no.

The reputation you have is the reputation you earn. If the LEO industry wants a good reputation, they're going to have to get off their asses and earn it the way everyone else does.