ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 16th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #1
sopranos
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 (black)

Clutch slipping - False Neutral....?

First, I am a fairly new adult rider... I'll get that out of the way and I'm sure its the easy and obvious explanation.

With that said, I recently purchased an '09 250 with 6K miles... clean, never dropped and well maintained (maintenance is from what I could tell).

I am noticing that shifting at higher RPM's (so far only at higher gears such as 5th to 6th) above 8K - every once in a while it doesn't click into gear and naturally I have the annoying high revving neutral result where I need to once again shift into gear. Its pretty annoying as it is unexpected and while I am trying to get up to speed... kind of just throws off the vibe.

I can't tell if its me since it has happened while I am consciously thinking about it and making sure I am clicking up hard enough to definitely shift the gear. So I am wondering if the clutch is slipping out or perhaps something is going on that I haven't thought of... and what I should be asking or looking for when I take it in for service.

If it is me, what could it be? I will toot my own horn here a bit and say that I have been rather pleased with how smooth my shifting is and at how fast I am executing the shift. Again, I only notice this at higher gears (higher RPM's). Could I be so fast that I am not pulling the clutch in all the way or something? Would this cause it not to be in a gear as the end result?

The bottom line is it is not in a gear after this happens. I tried to re-enact the problem in lower gears where I would only lightly click up to shift into the next gear to see if it would only get to neutral but I couldn't do it.... it would always shift up to the next gear as it should. Therefore, I don't even know if you can go to neutral when at speed or after 2nd gear? I can't figure out why it would fall out of gear at higher speeds (or RPM's).

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Did I buy a lemon?

Oh and I should mention that it is not just once in a blue moon... it seems to happen everyday. But only 5th to 6th gear.
sopranos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Kick even harder. Its a common problem amongst us noobs, and I've done it a lot of times. Its been about a week or so since I've last done it. If what I understand about bikes is true, it probably would be more likely to happen in higher gears, rather then lower. Im fairly certain the higher gear you go, the further apart the gears are, hence it being easier to kick into whats called a false neutral.

Is it possible that its the bike, and not you? Yes... buuuuttttt you are brand new, and as soon as you kick it again, from what I can tell any ways, the bike goes back into gear. You're just not kicking hard enough, which most people on the 250 who complain about false neutrals do.

It's no biggie. Just kick x-) Lol.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #3
kal-el
ninjette.org newbie

Name: NR

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

about this shifting issue my problem is on the 2nd gear, after shifting to 2nd and pushing the throttle it will run a few meters and then goes back to neutral, it happens frequently and sometimes scary specially when i'm shifting near the red line but unfortunately all the kawasaki mechanics here can do is to only adjust the gear shift adjuster rod but nothing is really fix.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #4
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

What I've always heard about stubborn transmissions is that a shift fork could be bent, or the shift drum is damaged. Not necessarily the case with you, but it's what I've read in other cases where shifting has become a problem. I'm just not sure, short of severe abuse, or dropping, how these items could be damaged.

The only thing you can really do externally to improve the situation is to adjust the shift lever downward a little to a position where you have more lifting power. If a shift lever is adjusted too far upward, I have trouble shifting and often miss a shift completely.

The other thing you can do change to a different oil. I've tried a lot of different oils in the bikes I've had, and found that Valvoline made my '94 250 impossible to shift, and Mobil1 caused my brand new clutch to behave more like an On/Off switch. My current 250 seems to like Rotella T6.

If this is a constant problem, I'd suggest you have the mechanism looked at. I missed a 4-5 shift for no apparent reason the other night, but so far that has proven to be an isolated incident. If it happened more often than not, that would be an indicator of a mechanical issue.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #6
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

When I'm in hard accelerations, I zone in too much and don't kick in the gears hard enough. Usually for me it's when I go from 1st to 2nd. So it's not just you man, and it isn't the bike...well maybe a little. I just have to remember to kick a little harder next time.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #7
kal-el
ninjette.org newbie

Name: NR

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
When I'm in hard accelerations, I zone in too much and don't kick in the gears hard enough. Usually for me it's when I go from 1st to 2nd. So it's not just you man, and it isn't the bike...well maybe a little. I just have to remember to kick a little harder next time.
Got your point sir, i'll also try Charlies advice to adjust the lever downward to have more force when shifting, as for now i don't accelerate hard from 1st to 2nd cause it seems like the bike is going to throw me when it slips to neutral. thanks guys..
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote