ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #41
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Nice. Lots of good ideas. Been thinking of getting an adriuno thingy the play
with and brush up on my c skills. Either that or try plugging up one of my
mega8's. See if I can get my processor up to speed so I can make it talk to your bike pc. Hehe

Posted via Mobile Device
Haha, we might need to do satellite or cellular communications for that to work.
Timm3h is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #42
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Cool. How to get speed signal for the calculation?
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #43
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I am using a GPS wired into it. I am able to pull Time, Date, speed, location, altitude and other data.

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #44
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
You put a resistor from the spark plug wire to the microcontroller, then use it to count RPM. I guess you can use this against gear ratio to get speed (while the clutch is engaged). However, the gear ratio changes too so it pays to know what gear you are in. I forget how it all works.

Sort of difficult without GPS. Which is why our bikes have mechanical speedo. (pretty sure)

Or you could go the hall effect sensor way and measure rpm of the wheel.

even a program like this for a GPS unit will be fairly complex to handle.

As for my chips talking to yours.. they can do so online around the world.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #45
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You put a resistor from the spark plug wire to the microcontroller, then use it to count RPM. I guess you can use this against gear ratio to get speed (while the clutch is engaged). However, the gear ratio changes too so it pays to know what gear you are in. I forget how it all works.

Sort of difficult without GPS. Which is why our bikes have mechanical speedo. (pretty sure)
I have the GPS wired and I plan on taking a wire off the tachometer (take a look at the wiring diagram )

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #46
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm3h View Post
I have the GPS wired and I plan on taking a wire off the tachometer (take a look at the wiring diagram )
I realize this.
I was trying to help explain to John how you can use the RPM to get speed for further calculations. (such as gear)

Have you guys seen the current gear indicator gauge additions on the market and the process you have to go through to set them up?

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #47
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I realize this.
I was trying to help explain to John how you can use the RPM to get speed for further calculations. (such as gear)

Have you guys seen the current gear indicator gauge additions on the market and the process you have to go through to set them up?
My Bad.

I havent? You got ideas?

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #48
ninja250
You are sleeping

I think I read about the shift gauges that work on our bikes go crazy (read false) when you push in the clutch. This is because they are based from RPM and or speed.
This is why I like the idea of a physical button on the shifter.

I took my lil deely out for a spin today but I still have a little work to prove it is viable. Those switches have to be aligned perfect, but once they are it will be golden. I may have to transfer to atmel soon but shouldn't slow me down too much.

The guy here says
Quote:
I down graded to 4 star because of the delay when down shifting. Sometimes it will not show the correct gear-but will reset when neutral is selected.
So reading gear from the RPM or speed is no better than reading from a switch or the neutral line.. IMO.
Not to mention I think the magnet RPM gear indicator that does work on our bike on the market currently is like a super pain to set up and you either have to do it while on the bike rolling or the bike on a dyno or roller wheels or something. I was reading the directions and said to myself "Whaaat?! I wouldn't buy that thing if all that was involved".

It's all speculation. This stuff is pretty difficult and I'm lost in my programming at the moment. lol Just adding some input.
Currently I can make my gear shifter count gears and reset to neutral without touching anything when needed but sometimes it skips only the first upshift into second from first. I'm pretty sure I just have to bend the switch tab and I'm set?

I think the most accuracy could be obtained with a combination of reading RPM (or speed) against actual shifter switch presses.
Either way the shifter will need dedicated sensors of it's own to always be right.

Quote:
as long as it has a digital speedo it will work just fine, but they do not work for cable operated speedometers
This is why everybody doesn't have one on their bike already.

Also, I'm not positive, but I think GPS is accurate to within 15 feet or so. This might put a few little debug gremlins in the scheme of things.

Old February 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #49
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

...and until then, let's all continue search for the 7th gear
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #50
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
...and until then, let's all continue search for the 7th gear
Posted via Mobile Device
Hang in there. We're workin' on it

7th gear does not exist on my project.
It would first have to be created in the program.

Old February 11th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #51
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Haha, I found a couple of those micro switches tonight... I really need to order some... Where did you get yours from KC?

I cleaned up a bit of my code today and my GPS is working again

Old February 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #52
ninja250
You are sleeping

I haven't played with any of the GPS modules yet. Good to hear you have it crackin' again.

I got the switches from the electronics store in a package. Check my thread for the name on the package and google 'em. I forgot what they were called already. Two I bought had rollers and two I bought were normal lever action.

the name on the switch is "Highly ss05" but the name on the package (supplier?) was different.

If you can't find any, let me know. The local shop has more I can pick up.
Gotta be something else out there that will work similar or better too.

Old February 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #53
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I haven't played with any of the GPS modules yet. Good to hear you have it crackin' again.

I got the switches from the electronics store in a package. Check my thread for the name on the package and google 'em. I forgot what they were called already. Two I bought had rollers and two I bought were normal lever action.

the name on the switch is "Highly ss05" but the name on the package (supplier?) was different.

If you can't find any, let me know. The local shop has more I can pick up.
Gotta be something else out there that will work similar or better too.

Okay Thanks,

The GPS I am using is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MICROSOFT-STREETS...item2a04ba5b60

You can probably find it cheaper... it is the microsoft sirf 3 gps, comes with most streets and trips... Iv seen it for under $15 shipped on ebay before

I cracked open the plastic and attached 3 wires (5V, GND, tx) I found a GPS library that was already written and used that.

Old February 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #54
ninja250
You are sleeping

Just thought o an idea. You could also have your bike pc display battery voltage through the v-ref line of your atmel chip. Always thought it was cool how those things know what their voltage is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old February 16th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #55
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just thought o an idea. You could also have your bike pc display battery voltage through the v-ref line of your atmel chip. Always thought it was cool how those things know what their voltage is.
Posted via Mobile Device

I will def have to look into it.

I am not sure how many sensor spots I have left!

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #56
ninja250
You are sleeping

Yeah I remember they have a low voltage adjustable reset. You could adjust at which voltage they would reset, which means they have to know what voltage they are running. This was dealt with from the "Vref" pin on the atmel chips I used. You might want to see if it's doable in your project.

If I remember right you could actually write to the routine of what happened when the vref was triggered and adjust when it triggered.

Old February 25th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #57
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Just a small Update...

I was testing the GPS speed in my car. As you can see I have put everything into a cardboard box for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX3L3sadiDM

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #58
ninja250
You are sleeping

Very nice!
You got me thinking I should go to an LCD. At least then I could see it in the day time with basically no effort and minimal power draw.
I have never played with the LCD instruction set on the AVR's yet either.
Where are you getting the libraries? I wonder if that would work with my compiler. I can include referential libraries like "delay" etc in the program but haven't researched other libraries much.

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #59
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

I just find libraries on google. I went with a serial LCD for its simplicity, power, ground, signal

Old March 16th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #60
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Cool project, I actually have an Arduino sitting at my house that I never got around to messing with. A gear indicator would be a nice feature. Would a magnetic switch (Reed switch) work for that? It wouldn't require physical contact, just magnets on the shifter... Ill have to get an LCD for mine and start messing with it...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM   #61
MysterioX
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250 Ninja

I see it's been a little over a year since anyone posted here. I wonder where this bike-pc project landed to?
MysterioX is offline   Reply With Quote