ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:30 AM   #1
OddlyOrdinary
ninjette.org member

Name: Asdf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250

Map of every vehicle related fatality in the united states

I thought this was really interesting, and it also brakes down the fatalities by age and whether they were driving, a passenger, motorcyclist, or pedestrian. It kind of shocked me, but streets that I had deemed the safest had some of the highest deaths. My city, about 90k people, has what appears to be 2-3 motorcycle fatalities a year.

I live in a college town, so many don't wear any gear at all including helmets so I can kind of understand. But I will admit it's freaked me out a bit.

I'm not posting this to scare anyone, but just to so people can be informed of what streets/intersections in their area are worth avoiding.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...ent-casualties
OddlyOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Nice find.

I think i'll move to Nevada?
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM   #3
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I think that map missed 2 dead motorcyclists in my town, between 2004-2006.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

If you're in New York City, look both ways before crossing the street!
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

Thanks for the link, an important reference.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #6
TygaUSA.com
Tyga Performance

Name: TygaUSA

Motorcycle(s): Honda's!

Great little find. Will share with a few...

Bill
TygaUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #7
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Wow. Thank you for posting this. And you're right, when I look at roads I think would be considered 'high risk' I find some of them are, but some are not. And vice versa.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #8
ceke
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Where motorcycle accidents are concerned, I find these sort of statistics/maps, at least for San Diego, to be a little misleading. I commute daily and no day goes by without seeing interstate wheelies, 90mph split laning, and other risky riding. I think fatalities on many 'risky' roads here have more to do with the rider than the road. And though there may be some 'high risk' motorcycling areas, they are hard to distinguish without knowing the cause of the fatalities.
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #9
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

funny how Oahu is mostly pedestrian fatalities yet they still give pedestrians the ultimate advantage...they can walk where ever when ever they want almost...and they consider mopeds pedestrians, which is fukn ridiculous...

hawaii, such a shithole.

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #10
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
Nice find.

I think i'll move to Nevada?
Just stay away from Vegas, people are crazy here. Dodging idiots is an hourly chore

Old November 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #11
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

someone said how bad drivers in the US are and how easy it is to get your license here...

They are 100% right. Sure there are idiots in the UK and EU but all the countries Ive been to in the EU I was astounded by the driving. It is hands down BETTER then here in the states.

The test here is WAY to easy and the elderly who still have their license is in itself appalling... Im all for freedom and such but driving a car isnt a right its a privilege and one which you can and should lose if youre unfit to drive. We are talking about peoples lives...

I see kids driving and its scary, but i see ADULTS driving and think WTF?! running red lights here in town is a HUGE problem. I generally dont even splitlanes at lights because I am not about to shoot out as soon as the light turns green... WAAAY to many idiots running red lights. Ive almost got hit in my car cause some jackass decided they couldnt wait.

I HATE HATE HATE drivers here.... THEY SUCK EVERYWHERE.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #12
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Anyone know of a way to find out if charges were brought against any of these drivers? I remember one in my area being caused by a negligent driver of a car.

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Arinze
Ceska

Name: Arinze

Motorcycle(s): '11 Ninja 250r(Kami Kaze)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddlyOrdinary View Post
It kind of shocked me, but streets that I had deemed the safest had some of the highest deaths. My city, about 90k people, has what appears to be 2-3 motorcycle fatalities a year.

I live in a college town, so many don't wear any gear at all including helmets so I can kind of understand. But I will admit it's freaked me out a bit.

[/url]
You sure scared me though. Found like 8 incidents on my daily commute route to school...and its a freaking back road. ATGATT helps though

Old May 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
someone said how bad drivers in the US are and how easy it is to get your license here...

They are 100% right. Sure there are idiots in the UK and EU but all the countries Ive been to in the EU I was astounded by the driving. It is hands down BETTER then here in the states.

The test here is WAY to easy and the elderly who still have their license is in itself appalling... Im all for freedom and such but driving a car isnt a right its a privilege and one which you can and should lose if youre unfit to drive. We are talking about peoples lives...

I see kids driving and its scary, but i see ADULTS driving and think WTF?! running red lights here in town is a HUGE problem. I generally dont even splitlanes at lights because I am not about to shoot out as soon as the light turns green... WAAAY to many idiots running red lights. Ive almost got hit in my car cause some jackass decided they couldnt wait.

When I was a kid I had like 20 points on my lic in MD. The judge told me one day I was gonna kill someone.. I never have but glad I grw up. Haven't had a ticket in years and I ride my bike very cautiously!
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Obviously, a direct correlation to population density.

Far fewer than I'd expect on Mulholland. About what I'd expect on 154 (San Marcos Pass out of Santa Barbara, CA).

L.A. is a sea of blue (pedestrians); no wonder nobody walks in L.A.

Seattle looks dangerous to bikers; Daytona Beach is (no surprise) squid central 'cause it's solid orange.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #16
K-rod
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE

Great post, my area that I travel within is pretty safe. Really surprised considering I travel along one of the busiest streets in my town daily.
K-rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
All the fun roads have far more dead motorcyclists on them
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

Hmm... no motorcycle accidents within a 5 mi. radius of me. Guess it's okay to go speeding.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #19
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): <2008 250R> Past Bikes:06 GSXR600 89 CBR1000 78 Hawk 400 86 Ninja 600R 86 & 87 FZ600 81 GPZ550 71 CB360T

Hmmm...

Every week I commute 250 miles, with a mix of city streets and county highways. Every time I get on my bike I contemplate that it may be my last if I don't engage my brain.

Having said that, an accident can happen to anyone, but carelessness and or lack of street survival habits is an altogether different matter.

For example, in the past couple weeks I have seen two really stupid or ignorant motorcyclists. One guy, whom I followed for 25 miles, was on a tricked out, swung and lowered 'Busa exhibiting idiotic behavior. First of all, he apparently spent all his money on the bike, therefore his "gear" was street clothes! Also, because he had no gloves he had to keep his left hand in his lightweight windbreaker pocket, which did not stop him from cruising at 80+mph and tailgating with, at times, a half-second gap from the car in front of him and then making lane changes like this, jamming himself dangerously close in between cars.

Make your own assessment of this character...

The next was a guy on a newer Triumph Sprint ST, with all the gear! However, this guy comes speeding up to a stopped car at an intersection and wobbles to a stop about a foot from behind said car, promptly shifts into neutral, plops both feet on the ground, takes both hands off the controls and just, at least from my vantage point, stares straight ahead.

Do I need to explain to anyone what is wrong with that situation?

Just to recap, I know that at any moment I could become a statistic, but it will not be for lack of a concerted effort on my part to not become so. When I observe behaviors such as detailed above I am assured that it does not take too many qualifications to get a motorcycle license!

To say speed kills is akin to saying guns kill, neither of which is true.
Countersteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #20
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

Pretty interesting. I saw it was missing one in my area, though. Surprising, because it was a pretty big issue in the news a few years ago. A guy in an SUV was doing like 80 or 90 in a 45mph zone and t-boned two high school girls pulling out of Walmart. Both girls died.
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #21
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post

You sir may now move out of this country. May I suggest Russia or China.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote