ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
OddlyOrdinary
ninjette.org member

Name: Asdf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250

What's the difference between the Ninja 650 and the Versys

It looks like the Versys is a bit higher off the ground and holds more gas. But other than that the Kawasaki website provides very little information about the differences in how they're tuned or what their intended purposes is.
OddlyOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddlyOrdinary View Post
It looks like the Versys is a bit higher off the ground and holds more gas. But other than that the Kawasaki website provides very little information about the differences in how they're tuned or what their intended purposes is.
Riding position, and i think the motor is a little different? I'm assuming the versys was made more for the commuter rather than the speeder.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

When it first came out it was described more as a street focused "dual-sport". It has the same drive-train and frame. After that they changed the look of it, the seat, and the suspension.

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I really liked the versys, it was more comfortable than the 650, I just thought it was too big. It's really just a larger 650
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #5
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

I thought it was too big as well. I'm 5'9'' though. @Jiggles, aren't you over 6 foot though? It was too big for you?
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yea, not that it was too big, but I didn't want something that big
AFM #676

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

My friend who's shorter than I am tippie-toed that while I rode the 650.(I was considering upgrading at that time).
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8
OddlyOrdinary
ninjette.org member

Name: Asdf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250

Ah then the height might be an issue. I'm only 5'6, I was thinking about hitting up the Kawasaki demo rides coming up next week near my home. Anyone ever been to one? How does it work?

I'd like to try the 650 and the Versys, but a little intimidated at the extra power.
OddlyOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddlyOrdinary View Post
I'd like to try the 650 and the Versys, but a little intimidated at the extra power.
It's not too bad, when I picked up my 650, I had never ridden one before. That didn't stop me from riding it 30 miles home during rush hour
AFM #676

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

The motor is the same as the 650, but it uses different cams and timing. To what end I do not know. The rear shock is better.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

The engine is tuned for less top end hp and more midrange. There was an interesting article about the header designs about 5 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
cams can be replaced. I bet insurance is less for most people on the versys too since it is not a racing style body. I have not confirmed this statement though.
Actually, since they dropped the r from 650r I wouldn't be surprised if insurance costs were the same on the 2 bikes
AFM #676

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #13
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

The first bike over 250cc I ever rode was a first edition Versys. The suspension is good, but the tall stance makes it impossible to describe as sporty. The 650 engine, tuned for the Versys, is, predictably, uneventful. The exhaust note is floopy. Speaking of which, fun fact: all three of the bikes that share this engine are inaudible from the saddle, exhaust-wise, if you roll down the road, clutch in, no engine load.

As a whole, it is a bike you could commute on, while imagining you could hang with BMW GSes on a trans-Canada ADV tour. Then you rut into a blown out pavement seam and snap back to reality.

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

VerSys also has exposed USD forks while the EX650 does not. Strange, considering that it's a configuration more often seen on super-sport bikes and not well suited to the off-road rigors of dual-purpose riding for which it was marketed (bye-bye, fork seals).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #15
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
VerSys also has exposed USD forks while the EX650 does not. Strange, considering that it's a configuration more often seen on super-sport bikes and not well suited to the off-road rigors of dual-purpose riding for which it was marketed (bye-bye, fork seals).
Despite its stilt-legged stance, the Versys is not a dual-purpose motorcycle. The alloy wheels are wrapped in street tires that get sketchy at the mere sight of gravel. The Ninja 650 was given the "conventional" forks for the same reason the Ninja 250 has them: price point maintenance. The Versys is marketed to a theoretically more mature and upper middle demographic who are looking for a more refined product, and who have comparitively more disposable income (again theoretically) and the Ninja 650 is pointed at the beginner and upgrade market. That is paraphrased from Kawasaki's PR on the subjects.
Incidentally, USD forks are the norm for nearly all offroad bikes, including even some minis. Fork seal replacement is big business because of this.

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
Despite its stilt-legged stance, the Versys is not a dual-purpose motorcycle. The alloy wheels are wrapped in street tires that get sketchy at the mere sight of gravel. The Ninja 650 was given the "conventional" forks for the same reason the Ninja 250 has them: price point maintenance. The Versys is marketed to a theoretically more mature and upper middle demographic who are looking for a more refined product, and who have comparitively more disposable income (again theoretically) and the Ninja 650 is pointed at the beginner and upgrade market. That is paraphrased from Kawasaki's PR on the subjects.
Incidentally, USD forks are the norm for nearly all offroad bikes, including even some minis. Fork seal replacement is big business because of this.
I'm saying that Kawasaki categorized it as "Dual Purpose" on their website during the first few years. None of their other off-road or DP bikes had USD forks and the majority had fork protectors as well (accordion-like tubing over the piston travel area).

What is a "mini?"
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #17
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I'm saying that Kawasaki categorized it as "Dual Purpose" on their website during the first few years. None of their other off-road or DP bikes had USD forks and the majority had fork protectors as well (accordion-like tubing over the piston travel area).

What is a "mini?"
Agreed, the offroad bikes have and had protection like the rubber boots. But Moto X bikes and even the KLX250 DPs had USD forks then and now, with plastic fork shields. I believe you are correct that the Versys was in the Dual Sport section at one point. But then it seems like Kawasaki received critical feedback regarding the difference between the European definition of off-highway and the American definition. Those fork legs out in the open were surely part of that.

This is a minibike:

Old April 14th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #18
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

I work with the rider of a Versys (2011 model year) and have ridden it a few times. I can compare it to my ER-6n (which is very similar to a 650r.)

The Versys sits noticeably taller. I'm 5'7" and am able to put both feet on the ground, although not flat footed. It's taller than I prefer, as a stop, anyways. Once underway, no problems.

The engine has more torque than mine, at least at first. It makes usable (as in stay in that gear) power from around 2,500 RPM on. The useful powerband starts about 1,000 RPM lower than mine. However, where mine pulls nice and strong up to a little over 10,000 RPM, the Versys engine tapers off. Shift earlier. Honestly, having ridden with him, he doesn't have a problem keeping up, unless I'm going balls-out and letting it wind out. It's a sweet motor, and it's better around town than mine is.

The exhaust note is identical to any stock Kawi 650 twin. I've heard all three stock (friend had a 650r) and all three sound like wheezy air compressors. With an aftermarket can, they sound lopey and poppy, with individual pulses discernible at idle. They have a deeper growl at higher RPM, as opposed to the smooth snarl of the 4 cylinders. A 650 twin at full boil sounds pissed off, a 600 I-4 sounds like a race bike.

The suspension is nice. Nicer than the 650r or ER-6. The front is adjustable, the rear has a lighter swingarm, damping is a little better, and it handles rougher pavement better than mine. The bars are swept back further, you sit more upright on a Versys. The seat is better than the ER-6 stock one.

I prefer the Versys instrument panel. Analog tach and digital speedo, nice!

Insurance cost... higher than my ER-6n. But mine was the lowest of the lot, no fairing and lower MSRP. The Versys may be higher than the 650r, just because the bike costs more.

Wind protection is decent. Although you sit upright, the windshield and half fairing direct wind around you. I've not ridden a 650r at speed, so have no comparison.

Dual sport use... No. No engine guard, crap tires for dirt use, and a muffler that's exactly where you don't want it to be would keep me firmly on the pavement. Kawi sells a terrific dual sport 650, and this isn't it! You could put a set of skid plates, engine guards, and off-road tires on it if you just had to, but it's just not great for it.

They're nice. The seat height and higher price convinced me not to buy one. But if you're a bit taller than me (or longer legged) it's a great bike for the price.