ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 14th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #1
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Name: Ansonn

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja EX250F

04 Tank repair/replacement

Hey guys, I know a number of you have had the issue with rust forming inside your gas tanks before. After doing research, I came to the conclusion that Kreem is the best solution for tank repair/sealant. I currently temporarily patched the leak(on side of tank, due from internal erosion of tank) with quick steel. Recently the paint has bubbled and I know it will be only a matter of time before it leaks. Again. =\.

I was wondering if anyone knows someone who might be selling a tank(non-leaking, of course) who resides on Oahu.?

I have been searching all over for a spare tank for the pregen, but my findings are scarce. I had an awesome idea and was wondering if anyone has customized the tank mounting points to be able to use a tank from a different bike!? I am still in the process of doing research to see if it is reasonablely possible to do so. But I just was wondering if anyone have/had done this before?

Any info or input would be greatly appreciated!

Old July 14th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Why not just weld it shut?

Also, if you aren't going to use the stock fairings it shouldn't be too hard to find a tank that fits without much modification to it.

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...b4f3e1e#843026
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #3
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post

Also, if you aren't going to use the stock fairings it shouldn't be too hard to find a tank that fits without much modification to it.

I would love to, my access to a welder is on a different island. But yea, mahalo for the link, gives me faith. Lol. I'm actually streetfightering mines too. It's semi-streetfighter.

But Like I said, though, I'm in the process of doing research and stuff. Thanks, again.!

Old July 14th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #4
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

That's awesome monkey! I built my first 250 from scrap and I could barely recognize the final pic as a ninja, ima show this to my lil brother, he will love it. Thanks for the ideas.

Also u where looking for things to do right, after the spedo and mirrors why not use some engine paint when u paint the bike and hit the mufflers, header pipes and frame. Match the color to the new color your thinking of painting it. Even if u just do what little farings u have left and the headers/mufflers it would look great. Also I just re upholstered my seat with vinyl from joAnnes and they had a lot of colors, u could redo a new seat to match what little color your going to put on.
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to pre-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #6
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

If internal corrosion is the problem, then welding it isn't really a good option. They make tank sealers that basically you pour it in and swish it around and let it dry. Some are better than others.

The best option is to replace the tank. Being in Florida myself, I know that salt spray is a likely culprit.

Here is one on ebay that doesn't look too bad...

Personally, I would seal the tank to temporarily stop the problem, then watch ebay and craigslist for an acceptable replacement.

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

The leaks are usually caused by using longer fairing bolts in the tank.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #8
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
If internal corrosion is the problem, then welding it isn't really a good option. They make tank sealers that basically you pour it in and swish it around and let it dry. Some are better than others.

The best option is to replace the tank. Being in Florida myself, I know that salt spray is a likely culprit.

Here is one on ebay that doesn't look too bad...

Personally, I would seal the tank to temporarily stop the problem, then watch ebay and craigslist for an acceptable replacement.

thanks everyone, for the support!

Yes, it is internal. Thanks for that link, I was also looking at that tank as a replacement.

After seeing that some Honda cb tanks would work too, I was considering. The main unfortunate circumstance is that I live in a apartment and I don't really have too much room to do crazy mods. All I have is the space of a parking stall, and I use it to drive to work everyday except Saturdays. =\

I also read the the 04 models fall under the recall that was made. I still need to check if my vin # is within range from the ones provided, to see if I can get a new tank from the kawasaki manufacturer. That would be awesome.

I currently have it patched up (FOR NOW) with quicksteel. I also make sure I stay below the leak area when filling gas.

If I can find a used/new OEM tank (that doesn't leak, of course) for deals, then I'll do that. If I can pinpoint which Honda Cb tanks fit easiest(without intense modding), I Might do that as well......hmm decisions, decisions...

Old July 17th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #9
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:

That link opened my mind to the possibilities of tank options!, thanks!!!!!

Old July 17th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #10
n4mwd

The recall notice thing sounds like the best option to me. They were recalling tanks that were punctured by the upper fairing bolts going in too far. If yours doesn't have that puncture, they probably wont replace it.

Try registering your bike at the kawasaki site to see if anything comes up.

Old July 17th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
The recall notice thing sounds like the best option to me. They were recalling tanks that were punctured by the upper fairing bolts going in too far. If yours doesn't have that puncture, they probably wont replace it.

Officially, it's because some were re-tapped at the factory after painting if they had any trouble threading and the machine/process had nothing to prevent it from going too far and doing the exact same thing. They would not be responsible for us mixing up bolts.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #12
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:

Along with my tank problems, the left side was punctured and I patched it up. Its not the prettiest, but it no longer leaks. And that job was done over a year ago! whenever I put the fairings on, I just didn't use that mounting point..

But I'll just try register my vin and see if I'm eligible. What do I got to lose, right?

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #13
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansabolic View Post
Along with my tank problems, the left side was punctured and I patched it up. Its not the prettiest, but it no longer leaks. And that job was done over a year ago! whenever I put the fairings on, I just didn't use that mounting point..

But I'll just try register my vin and see if I'm eligible. What do I got to lose, right?

As soon as I registered mine, kawasaki started sending me postcards telling me to take it to a service center for the recall. But mine doesn't leak AFAIK, so I haven't done that yet. I figure I'll wait until it actually does leak.

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #14
davenay67
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Goldwing GL1800, 2002 Ninja 250, 2001 VFR800, 1999 Ducati 996

When did Kawasaki start using the same size bolts for the tank..?? My 2002 has 4 bolts all the same size so that you can't puncture the tank by getting the wrong bolt in the wrong hole.
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
When did Kawasaki start using the same size bolts for the tank..?? My 2002 has 4 bolts all the same size so that you can't puncture the tank by getting the wrong bolt in the wrong hole.
My 1996 has 4 bolts of the same size. No idea if the PO changed it, but they're the same.

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #16
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
As soon as I registered mine, kawasaki started sending me postcards telling me to take it to a service center for the recall. But mine doesn't leak AFAIK, so I haven't done that yet. I figure I'll wait until it actually does leak.
Lucky, lucky..! Man, I've been so busy with work and all. So if you brought in your. Ike to a service center, would they swap tanks or just give you a new tank? I'm assuming they swap tanks, so they can at least use the old/leaking one to justify the recall?

I dislike how the availability of some parts for the pregen are hard to get in HI

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #17
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
My 1996 has 4 bolts of the same size. No idea if the PO changed it, but they're the same.

I'm not too sure, but the PO of your bike probably was aware of the longer bolt issue. Good call on his part!

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #18
n4mwd

My bolts and plastic collars are all the same. The problem is that if you aren't careful, you can drive the top bolts right into the tank. I always use a hand wrench to tighten those and with low torque.

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #19
ansabolic
..as why hard.

I FINALLY FOUND A REPLACEMENT TANK...!!!! stoked..!

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #20
n4mwd

Is it the right color or do you have to paint it?

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #21
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
Is it the right color or do you have to paint it?
It's the original color of my bike (yellow), but I painted all the plastics dark metallic gray. Before I painted it, I had (and is still on) yellow reflector rim stripes, and yellow reflective tape on the tail lights(in between the brake/tail light and the signal indicators) the and on the passenger peg-bracket.
So it's kinda gonna match. Haha..
I since Im not using the front fairing, I might paint the rear fairings black and yellow not sure. I'm just stoked I have a new tank coming in..!

Old August 10th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #22
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
It's the original color of my bike (yellow), but I painted all the plastics dark metallic gray. Before I painted it, I had (and is still on) yellow reflector rim stripes, and yellow reflective tape on the tail lights(in between the brake/tail light and the signal indicators) the and on the passenger peg-bracket.
So it's kinda gonna match. Haha..
I since Im not using the front fairing, I might paint the rear fairings black and yellow not sure. I'm just stoked I have a new tank coming in..!

Okay, I FINALLY GOT IT! It feels like it took forever to get here! =\
The only issue I'm currently facing right now is the the gas tank cover is closed and locked. I did not come with the key. I tried unscrewing all the screws along the outside parameter of the cover, buti think there might be couple screws inside, under the locked part of the cap.
Like I said, I just got it, I still need to check/ look inside of my current leaking tank and varify that there are screws under the cap.

What are some options / strategies I could use to remove the gas tank cap and replace it with mines ( so i Can use my key to lock/unlock the cover) ?
If worst comes to worst, I was thinking of drilling out the key-hole. BUT I'm concerned that metal shavings might fall into the tank.

Meanwhile, I will be brainstorming and trying to figure out what my best option of action will be.

Old August 10th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #23
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Okay, I FINALLY GOT IT! It feels like it took forever to get here! =\
The only issue I'm currently facing right now is the the gas tank cover is closed and locked. I did not come with the key. I tried unscrewing all the screws along the outside parameter of the cover, buti think there might be couple screws inside, under the locked part of the cap.
Like I said, I just got it, I still need to check/ look inside of my current leaking tank and varify that there are screws under the cap.

What are some options / strategies I could use to remove the gas tank cap and replace it with mines ( so i Can use my key to lock/unlock the cover) ?
If worst comes to worst, I was thinking of drilling out the key-hole. BUT I'm concerned that metal shavings might fall into the tank.

Meanwhile, I will be brainstorming and trying to figure out what my best option of action will be.
There is 1 screw that is under the the cap. I think your best bet is to take it to a lock smith to either rekey/ or pick it for you.

Old August 11th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #24
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
There is 1 screw that is under the the cap. I think your best bet is to take it to a lock smith to either rekey/ or pick it for you.
THanks, I discovered that as well. Hmm.. I'm gonna try and get quotes to see how much they would charge for something like this.

Old August 11th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #25
n4mwd

Drill it. You can blow out the shavings later. And you should be using a filter anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #26
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
Drill it. You can blow out the shavings later. And you should be using a filter anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

I checked out some quotes and I was like F-that...! $80. No thank you. So I ended up shifting the middle cap as far as I could, away from the hidden screw, used a flat-head and pried it open. Enough to get the top of the screw exposed (Phillips) I used the skinniest/smallest flat head and used a small hammer to break the tightness. I did that couple times. Sure enough the screw was able to come completely out!

Cheers

Old August 11th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #27
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
But if my plan didn't work, then I surely would have drilled it out. And I do have a filter, it's the one that goes inside the fuel line, it's super small.

I was thinking of changing it. Do you think it's just as efficient as the bigger ones ( that has two male connectors) ?

Old August 11th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #28
n4mwd

This is what I use:

Its a STENS 120-562 fuel filter for a lawnmower that I get at the local True Value hardware store. They are about $6 and have the exact fittings needed. Its fairly small (about 1" diameter and 1" long not counting the fittings) and has a good fuel flow.

Old August 11th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #29
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

If your still thinking of coating your tank I'd highly recommend Redkote over Kreem. I've heard of kreem deteriorating over the years and causing problems.

Old August 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #30
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
This is what I use:

Its a STENS 120-562 fuel filter for a lawnmower that I get at the local True Value hardware store. They are about $6 and have the exact fittings needed. Its fairly small (about 1" diameter and 1" long not counting the fittings) and has a good fuel flow.
There's also this type:

If you find the straight line type hard to install like I did.

Old August 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #31
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
There's also this type:

If you find the straight line type hard to install like I did.
Oh, nice. That looks like it would fit so much better (without letting the fuel line get too close to the engine). Thanks! Where can I find that one...!?

Old August 11th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #32
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Oh, nice. That looks like it would fit so much better (without letting the fuel line get too close to the engine). Thanks! Where can I find that one...!?
I bought it in a motorcycle store/ dealership here. Was about 4 dollars after tax. They had a display with about 20 of them on there. If you google/search for "90 degrees fuel filter" on most sites that sell parts you'll find one for about that price. They make some with paper/cork filters as well.

1/4" is the size you want

Old August 12th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #33
n4mwd

If you use the original fuel line on the pregen, it is pre-formed so that the 90 degree bend is already in it. But if you are using aftermarket fuel line, the 90 degree filter makes a lot of sense.

I personally would go with the paper filters as I think they filter to a smaller particle size. The only problem is that you have to be careful about flow rates. If the filter is too restrictive, it will cause trouble because many were designed for fuel pumps which the Ninja doesn't have.

Also, bikes made after 2000 or so come with a little wire screen filter in the end of the tube that fits to the carburetor.

Old August 14th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #34
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Quote:
If you use the original fuel line on the pregen, it is pre-formed so that the 90 degree bend is already in it. But if you are using aftermarket fuel line, the 90 degree filter makes a lot of sense.

I personally would go with the paper filters as I think they filter to a smaller particle size. The only problem is that you have to be careful about flow rates. If the filter is too restrictive, it will cause trouble because many were designed for fuel pumps which the Ninja doesn't have.

Also, bikes made after 2000 or so come with a little wire screen filter in the end of the tube that fits to the carburetor.

Gotcha. Thanks.! but YEAH..! That's the one I have, lol. Hmmmm, paper filter with the 90deg bend sounds like a good combo.