ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #1
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Bad stuttering at higher rpms

I took my bike on the highway for the first time and as I was getting into the higher rpms I started to get some really bad stuttering around 6000 to 7000rpm. I have been running seafoam through the carbs but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I have also noticed when I start the bike when I try to give it throttle right away it will die. I can give it a little throttle and it will give out this sound like air is leaking with a sputter on the right side. Does this sound like a carb issue or something else?

Last futzed with by agentbad; June 10th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #2
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
I took my bike on the highway for the first time and as I was getting into the higher rpms I started to get some really bad stuttering around 6000 to 7000rpm. I have been running seafoam through the carbs but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I have also noticed when I start the bike when I try to give it throttle right away it will die. I can give it a little throttle and it will give out this sound like air is leaking with a sputter on the right side. Does this sound like a carb issue or something else?
You probably need to clean the carbs. Replace the fuel filter while you're at it. How is your idle after the bike warms up? What rpm does it idle at?

After you've warmed up the bike try to lower the rpms to the lowest rpm you can and let us know what you get.
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Does the bike have a jet kit or shimmed Carb needles? Any mods to the air box? By stuttering do you mean it will not go past 6-7k rpm, or it only stutters during those rpm's but continues running above that rpm?

Old June 11th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #4
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

It will rev past that but it stutters/jerks when I try to keep a constant cruising speed and it's really distracting. As far as I know it's stock. The original owner said the carbs had been cleaned but they must have done a crap job. It only has 5600 miles or so it's not quite time for a valve check.

You know what I bet when the last owner installed the pod filter he didn't rejet the carbs. That would make sense why it's running bad. I didn't notice it until just now.

Last futzed with by agentbad; June 11th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.

Old June 11th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Mine has the exact same problem. Anything from 6k-8k rpm, especially in 5th gear, stutters really badly. I just finished adjusting my valves and syncing my carbs, so I know that isn't the culprit. It's driving me crazy!
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #6
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

I am pretty sure the previous owner screwed the carb up when he cleaned it last and he also didn't rejet after adding a K&N pod filter. Fortunately that will make getting the carbs off way easier without the air box getting in the way. Mine is running to lean now because of the K&N filter and possibly a bad gasket on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
Mine has the exact same problem. Anything from 6k-8k rpm, especially in 5th gear, stutters really badly. I just finished adjusting my valves and syncing my carbs, so I know that isn't the culprit. It's driving me crazy!
You sure all the jets were clean?

Old June 12th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #7
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
I am pretty sure the previous owner screwed the carb up when he cleaned it last and he also didn't rejet after adding a K&N pod filter. Fortunately that will make getting the carbs off way easier without the air box getting in the way. Mine is running to lean now because of the K&N filter and possibly a bad gasket on one side.

You sure all the jets were clean?
That may well be it. I used the two-bottle method to sync them, so I didn't dig too far into it but now I'm thinking I should have just gone ahead and taken the carbs off while I was at it and given them a good cleaning.

Would shimming the needles help at all?
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #8
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
That may well be it. I used the two-bottle method to sync them, so I didn't dig too far into it but now I'm thinking I should have just gone ahead and taken the carbs off while I was at it and given them a good cleaning.

Would shimming the needles help at all?
I know for the pod filters you are supposed to but not sure about stock.

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Before attempting surgery, check if you have enough fuel supply (2 cc per second) to the carbs.

If so, try using the choke when the problem appears and note any difference.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
inspect the air cleaner.

edit: oh i see pod filters. check jetting. get rid of the pods.

Old June 13th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #11
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
inspect the air cleaner.

edit: oh i see pod filters. check jetting. get rid of the pods.
I would put the old air box back in but the guy got rid of it. I agree with rejetting I am reading the ninja faq and it says something between 108, 110, 112 for the main jet. You need one for both carbs correct? Also should I shim the needles as well?

Old June 13th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
2 carbs means 2 sets of each jet. you will need to adjust the pilot jets also. jetsrus.com

Old June 13th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Question

Quote:
2 carbs means 2 sets of each jet. you will need to adjust the pilot jets also. jetsrus.com
Could he partially block the air intake by covering part of the pods?

Quote:
I took my bike on the highway for the first time and...........
At least temporarily, he could limit the excess of air in the mix and finally start riding that bike.

Old June 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
its definitely a hack. but it would temporarily get it closer. but correct jetting with a real air cleaner (that isn't wrapped in tape that can come off/shift/do something different) should be a priority

you should be able to buy a used airbox for cheap

Old June 14th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #15
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Before attempting surgery, check if you have enough fuel supply (2 cc per second) to the carbs.

If so, try using the choke when the problem appears and note any difference.
How would I check the amount of fuel supply to the carbs? That's a good idea about the choke maybe that will help it not run so lean. If I were to block part of the filter what material would I use? I have duck tape and a old rag ready for Macgyvering.
Quote:
its definitely a hack. but it would temporarily get it closer. but correct jetting with a real air cleaner (that isn't wrapped in tape that can come off/shift/do something different) should be a priority

you should be able to buy a used airbox for cheap
I'd like to keep the pod filter just because it makes maintenance a lot easier by freeing up space and the little boost in hp seems worth it.

Old June 14th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
How would I check the amount of fuel supply to the carbs? That's a good idea about the choke maybe that will help it not run so lean.
Just disconnect the vaccum hose from the petcock and connect another clean hose from which you can suck with your mouth.

Then disconnect the hose that feeds the carbs and place the end inside a glass container of known volume.

Open the petcock and apply vacuum to it and record the time that it takes to fill the container or to reach any pre-made mark.

Don't know how to block the filters; it was just an idea to test if the mix is too lean or if you have other problems.

You may find additional ideas in this concurrent thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137183

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #17
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Which jet kit should I get? I am going to have a local shop install it since I am not experienced with carbs yet.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:58 AM   #18
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

I run factory pro jets and I think they're pretty awesome. Best money I've spent on the ninja by far.

It's pretty important you get the jetting right because this stuttering is because your running too lean in the mid range. If you're on a tight budget I would just buy the washers and shim the needles. Ideally you want to buy the jet kit because it's pretty touchy and hard to tune optimally without the right set of main jets.

If you're mid range is suffering (which in your case it is) then your high range is gonna suffer just as well.

Just as an fyi I run 110 main jets and the needles in clip position number 2 w/ one washer underneath. You can check out the "How to pod" thread to see how I tuned mine.
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #19
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Thanks for the advice. The Ninja faq wiki suggests factory pro over dyno as well. I am going to take it in this week and get it worked on at one of the local shops. Whats a good online store that sells the factory pro kit for my bike '05 Ninja 250F. I see they have it on there website for around $100 after shipping but I have seen it for $80. Think the model is CRB-K13-3.0.

edit: Going the jetsrus route.

Last futzed with by agentbad; June 24th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.