ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 24th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Replacing Rear Tire Only?

I found a nail in my rear tire so I need to replace it (the tire needed to be replaced anyway). My budget is around $150 (including installation). Is it okay to replace just the rear tire? My front tire has plenty of tread left, but it's the stock tire.

For the rear, I was thinking of a Sport Demon, GT501, or BT45.
My other option would be to buy cheaper tires like the MT75s and replace both. What do you guys think? Would I be okay to only replace the rear and leave the stock front tire on there for now? Should I save a lot of money by just replacing the rear with an MT75?

If it helps, I'm a brand new rider so I won't be riding too aggressively. Right now I ride mostly streets, and some occasional mild canyon runs. I still haven't driven on the freeway, but I might be doing this in the near future. I want a tire that's going to perform, especially when it comes to braking.
AgentCircus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
It's perfectly fine to replace just the rear tire first, especialy since your riding is not very aggresive. I would suggest the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires which come in the stock size. The Sport Demons do not come in the stock size and will raise the rear by abought an inch. The Diablo Scooter tires have very good grip and handle very well. I rescently changed over to the Diablo on my rear tire and will switch the front as soon as it wears out which will not be for onother 10,000 miles.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if the front tire doesn't need to be replaced... don't replace it.
if you aren't having grip issues with the tire, why upgrade it before it needs to be? get your money's worth out of the tire then get a better one.

most shops will charge you between $20-40 to install a rear tire for you. if you're a good haggler and buy the tire from them you might be able to get it installed for free.

but in all seriousness... a little ol' nail don't mean you need a new tire! just put glue in it!

Old July 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #4
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
It's perfectly fine to replace just the rear tire first, especialy since your riding is not very aggresive. I would suggest the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires which come in the stock size. The Sport Demons do not come in the stock size and will raise the rear by abought an inch. The Diablo Scooter tires have very good grip and handle very well. I rescently changed over to the Diablo on my rear tire and will switch the front as soon as it wears out which will not be for onother 10,000 miles.
I've heard great things about the Sport Demons, that's why I had it on my list. If it raises the rear, will that upset the geometry too much if I end up going with it?

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Snake

The geometry will be changed very slightly. It will make the bike a bit more flickable. The only drawback to the Sport Demons is if you are short then your feet may not be able to touch the ground as well.

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #6
SpYd3r05
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

i have the viper strykes ... i love them... took the rear to them paid like 10 dollars to get it installed... like 70 total...

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #7
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
The geometry will be changed very slightly. It will make the bike a bit more flickable. The only drawback to the Sport Demons is if you are short then your feet may not be able to touch the ground as well.
I'm 5'3". I can 3/4 foot it right now (not quite flat foot, but I can back it up with my feet). How bad do you think it'll be with a Sport Demon? Does this apply to the GT501 and BT45 as well?

Maybe I should just get an MT75 for the rear?

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Snake

I only have first hand experience with the Sport Demons. I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam. Stock I could flatfoot. Changed to Sport Demons and had to 3/4 foot. Switched to the Pirelli Diablo's and was flat footing again.

Old July 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #9
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

After doing some reading for the past hour, I think I'm going to go with an MT75 for the rear. I might be able to flat foot it after it's installed too.

Old July 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #10
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

Getting the tire installed tomorrow! $50 + $30 mount/balance!

Old July 26th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #11
Snake

After you get them on let us know how you like them.

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #12
AgentCircus
ninjette.org member

First Impressions

I've only had a chance to drive the bike back from the shop, but turn in seems quicker. During the turn I feel a little more stable. I couldn't really notice a difference in height or in revs on the street. This could be because I've only had the bike for a few weeks, and have rode a little over 100 miles. This is also my first bike, so I really don't know what I should be looking for.

Anyways, the guy at the shop said take it easy for the first 100 miles until the tire breaks in. Once it breaks in, I'll post more feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1-4.jpg (98.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2-4.jpg (75.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3-4.jpg (85.5 KB, 5 views)