ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 12th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Johnsonr520
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none

Getting a ninjette soon. What are the dangers?

I was really wondering is how dangerous are bikes? Ive been on two wheels all my life and i really hate cars. Everytime i see a motorcycle i want one so i figured id buy one. But what is the dangers behind it. Can riding smart and practicing skills with the right gear keep you alive? Also taking the msf course.
Johnsonr520 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
No, some bitch will pull out in front of you and you will break your leg and there is nothing you can do about it, it's inevitable.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #3
raybolic
ninjette.org member

Name: Rei

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250R

Nothing is 100% safe.. you can be safe yourself but a there's really not much you can do when you find some crazy woman on the road..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTXLuu7_0Y
raybolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Pudge Ate Me
2012 Ninja 250R Green

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R Green

If you want a bike and don't know what the dangers are, you might wanna stick to the 4 wheel vehicles you say you hate.
Pudge Ate Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Ignore the women haters . Stats don't lie.

Many people ride all their life without any mishaps, they write books about it.
The real danger is other things like critters and drivers that don't see you. You will learn all about it in the MSF. Take them to heart and wear your gear all the time no matter what and you should be fine. Expect people to get in your way, cut you off, back into you etc and you will ride defensively. MSF teached you about all the "conditions" that could hurt you and there are a ton - not enough skill to stop in time, bad weather, wet leaves, too tired, break in concentration and the list goes on.
If you want to be the safest yet still ride a bike, take the MSF and then take a newbie course at a local track - no idiot drivers, traffic going the same way, no trees, curbs, telephone poles, lots of run off if you screw up.

Do lots of reading - proficient motorcycling by D,hough, smooth riding by reg pridmore, total control by lee parks. Many other out there but those are my favs.
Good luck
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #6
raybolic
ninjette.org member

Name: Rei

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge Ate Me View Post
If you want a bike and don't know what the dangers are, you might wanna stick to the 4 wheel vehicles you say you hate.
+1
raybolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

I've only been riding on the street a few times so far (damn april rain, 5 days straight! raining on my parade, literally!) and I've already started playing that "what if?" game. keeps my concentration up. but there probably will be a day where something unavoidable happens, so you just have to ride defensively I guess and hope for the best. Can't live life fearing what could happen, just gotta get out there and have a blast.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:21 AM   #8
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

The only danger I wasn't aware of when I started riding was the danger of addiction; didn't see it coming but I'm now helplessly trapped and any moment not spent on two wheels is a moment wasted.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:26 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the danger is... you die.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:27 AM   #10
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
On a motorcyle, the only danger is yourself. It's your responsibility to stay alive and safe. If you ride like your life depends on it (and it does) you will be fine.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
So far I have lost more friends on bicycles than motorcycles. And I have been injures on bicycles more than motorcycles . But I have riddenAnd raced bicycles more than motorcycle. I rode 10 to 15 thousand miles a year on bicycles and only been riding motorcycles since 2003. And less than 5000 miles a year. You can minimize the danger but it is still there. Gear reduces injury but will not prevent death
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

^ this

The best you can do is minimize the risk by being educated, being alert and anticipating the worst case scenario. But I always like to remind people you will die someday, somehow. You could go out on a motorcycle or by slipping in the shower. Heck, The King crapped out on the toilet. (pun intended) I'd hate to die without having lived...
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:52 PM   #13
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

I work as a 2nd shift manager @ goodwill in the evenings usually after class and some dumb ass woman drove into our garage door in the drive through donation bay lol... said she didn't see the door coming down >.>.. there are crazy women out there
akshay11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #14
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay11 View Post
there are crazy women out there
yes, yes there are. was driving home literally NEXT to a woman a few days ago, and she decided that instead of braking to stop for people in her lane making left turns, that she has every right to just cruise on over into my lane to go around, no head check, nothing. Thought my car was a goner for sure.

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #15
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

^ well, at least you were in your car. If you'd been on the bike, you'd be singing a different tune (or not singing at all).
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #16
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonr520 View Post
I was really wondering is how dangerous are bikes? Ive been on two wheels all my life and i really hate cars. Everytime i see a motorcycle i want one so i figured id buy one. But what is the dangers behind it. Can riding smart and practicing skills with the right gear keep you alive? Also taking the msf course.
A helmet is the only gear that will keep you alive and, even then, it only improves your odds by 30%. Avoiding an accident is the best option, but if you can't, then try to modify the circumstances to minimize your injuries.

Riding skills are probably the single most important factor in being safe on the bike. You need to not only be able to be a master at controlling the bike, but you also need to be a master at predicting what other people are going to do. Learn to read the clues that cagers give. Some people call it "spidey sense". Others call it "paranoia". Just because someone ought to wait till you pass before they pull out doesn't mean that they will.

I have found that following 3 seconds behind a cage both increases your visibility to people that want to pull out and also makes you invisible to police radar. Works for me. But cagers are really clever at finding new ways to kill you.

The MSF course is well worth it especially for beginners.

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #17
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

I will admit I have not been a member long here but I will say this is the first time a thread has been so negative and non-supportive.

Yes, riding a motorcycle is dangerous! The dumber you act, the more dangerous they are! The faster you go, the more dangerous they are!! The less you concentrate, the more dangerous they are!!! Like some of the more positive comments stated, you can educate and train yourself to be a safer rider. Yes, the unexpected is always out there! Its out there in all we do - driving a car, fishing, jet skiing, bungee jumping, golfing, riding a bike BUT reading books, magazines, internet, and other media which show proper riding will help tremendously. Safety courses as well as controlled practice on your bike in places like empty parking lots, empty subdivisions, and light traffic roads will also build your confidence up to be able to ride safely and have fun doing so. Practice heavy braking and quick serving. Start slow and work your way up building your confidence as well as getting a feel for your bike. Don't listen to negativity - it will not help anything but listen to sound advice of seasoned riders (which I am not nor do I claim to be). I have only been riding motorcycles for just over a year (about 5k miles) and to top it all off I started riding on a 2002 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa. YES, thats 1300CCs not 250CCs. YES, the BUSA weights 3 times what the NINJA weights. YES, the BUSA goes at least a million times faster then the NINJA at the flick of the wrist BUT I rode that bike safely for 1 year doing all I suggested above and had a SAFE and FUN time doing so!!!!!

Buying a Ninja 250 (and not a Z14 or even a 600) shows you are smart enough to know your limits. Sooooooo be smart by educating yourself; be prepared by practicing difficult situations; be aware of your surroundings at all times always looking for trouble; and most importantly HAVE FUN!!!

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #18
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Explosive diarrhea.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #19
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
^ well, at least you were in your car. If you'd been on the bike, you'd be singing a different tune (or not singing at all).
very true...very very true. thank goodness, now i can sing more and disturb all my neighbors with my horrendous voice

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
A helmet is the only gear that will keep you alive Other gear like jackets boots gloves and pants will only prevent broken bones and road rash which is the type of **** that's going to make your life miserable and possibly cause lifelong alterations to your health. You can also get major infections from bad roadrash which can really **** you up so its best to wear all of your gear.and, even then, it only improves your odds by 30%. Avoiding an accident is the best option, but if you can't, then try to modify the circumstances to minimize your injuries.
I'll just ammend this so that you don't give bad advice to newbies
AFM #676

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #21
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
Buying a Ninja 250 shows you are smart enough to know your limits. Sooooooo be smart by educating yourself; be prepared by practicing difficult situations; be aware of your surroundings at all times always looking for trouble; and most importantly HAVE FUN!!!
Quoted for truth.

The dangers of motorcycling are the same for all motorcycles because of the inherent lack of a protective cage. Getting hit in a car is not the same as getting hit while on a bike; the same can be said for getting flustered and potentially losing control. The best thing you can do is start on a small, forgiving bike (enter the ninja 250) to reduce the unnecessary risks while you become accustomed to the vehicle and gain valuable experience. Safety courses and learning from more experienced riders are very valuable tools.

Remember that the time period with the highest risk of accidents and drops is the first year of riding because you have little experience riding. Use that time to practice being cautious and absorbing every once of knowledge and skill that you can.

Also, it's a motorcycle! Don't forget to have fun! Just because you're learning doesn't mean you can't have the time of your life. For me, the MSF course was the first time I rode a street legal motorcycle, and it was the most fun thing ever because it was new and exciting. Riding still gets me excited and I hope that feeling never ends.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #22
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I'll just ammend this so that you don't give bad advice to newbies
That wasn't an amendment, it was an unauthorized edit of my quote. Next time just state the part you want to add someplace besides in my quote.

The OP was concerned about gear that will keep him from getting killed. The ONLY gear that has been proven to do that is the helmet. There is other gear that will protect you in other ways, most notably from road rash, but absolutely no amount of gear will make you indestructible. Also, other gear is very limited in its ability to protect you from broken bones. You of all people should know that.

In theory, motorcycle boots will protect against broken feet and ankles, but since I've seen more people with foot injuries that were wearing them than not, I'm not convinced.

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
In theory, motorcycle boots will protect against broken feet and ankles, but since I've seen more people with foot injuries that were wearing them than not, I'm not convinced.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #24
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
About ankle protection, in my video you can see my ankle ram into the girls car at 25mph, yet I didn't even have a bruise. I would be willing to bet that if I was wearing sneakers, I'd have 2 screwed up legs instead of just one.

It's literally amazing, when I show people the video they see my right leg ram into the car and they say oh that's how you broke your leg, and I tell them no, thats my right leg, my left leg broke on the gas tank. My boots saved me from a broken ankle, and they save many other riders every day. No it won't make you invincible, but it gives you a far greater chance
AFM #676

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #25
n4mwd

I'm always serious. Trixter broke his foot wearing motorcycle boots. Alex (broke/injured?) his foot wearing them also. Both essentially said "Well its my fault for not wearing better and more expensive boots." Where are all the people wearing sneakers with broken ankles?

Like I said, logically, it makes sense that a boot would protect your feet, but at least in terms of anecdotal evidence, I'm not convinced.

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Trixter was not wearing motorcycle boots he was just wearing regular boots. He said himself if he had been wearing motorcycle boots he wouldn't have broken his ankle. Oh and the broken ankle sneaker guy is right here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...bQv5P3k#t=457s
AFM #676

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Where are all the people wearing sneakers with broken ankles?
Forgetting their AOL passwords, thus unable to post.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #28
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Trixter was not wearing motorcycle boots he was just wearing regular boots. He said himself if he had been wearing motorcycle boots he wouldn't have broken his ankle. Oh and the broken ankle sneaker guy is right here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...bQv5P3k#t=457s

But he WAS wearing boots of some kind. Anyhow, the deer guy didn't even try to slow down as far as I could see. Timing is everything. Even if he still hit the deer, a slower impact is usually better.

So find me some motorcycle boots that have all the armor in the right place, will still let me bend my ankle so I can shift, don't have super sticky rubber soles so I can twist my ankle sideways, don't have sharp heels and most importantly, come in blue - and I might consider them. Any boot short of that and I'd be too distracted to ride safe.

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

We've given up trying to find you boots. But we still haven't stopped jumping in when you spread your own silly views on why sneakers are a safer option as they don't distract you as much.

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #30
n4mwd

Well I have given up. Such boots don't exist. Because of the distraction, sneakers are a better option for me. Other people may feel differently. I can respect that.

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
But he WAS wearing boots of some kind. Anyhow, the deer guy didn't even try to slow down as far as I could see. Timing is everything. Even if he still hit the deer, a slower impact is usually better.

So find me some motorcycle boots that have all the armor in the right place, will still let me bend my ankle so I can shift, don't have super sticky rubber soles so I can twist my ankle sideways, don't have sharp heels and most importantly, come in blue - and I might consider them. Any boot short of that and I'd be too distracted to ride safe.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=10461

Just paint em blue and you're all good. I prefer walking around in these all day than I do my sneakers. They are far more comfortable than any shoe I've ever bought and they allow enough movement to easily shift. Even with the easy shifting they still restrict ankle movement after a certain point to keep you safe. My only qualm about these boots is that if I'm sitting in a hot classroom they start to get sweaty around my calves, but, undoing the velco clears that up quickly

I don't know what you mean by super sticky rubber soles???? These boots don't feel different traction wise against the ground than my sneakers do, though I don't think its something I've ever really paid attention to.
AFM #676

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #32
AmplexorJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Kody

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

I wear sneakers. I have a fractured ankle. I ride.

However, I broke my ankle when I stepped off into oblivion(a ditch) while holding a drink (drunk) ... walking(i think ).

This is all relevant I'm sure. ^^^

But yeah to the OP...
Best Advice I've Gotten.

Ride as if You Are Invisible to Cagers.
Ride Within Your Limits.
ATGATT. or at least MTGATT

Ive only been riding for 1500 miles or so and I am really glad I got the Ninja 250.
AmplexorJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
^ Motorcycle boots would have prevented that For real, all the gear all the time, liek ALL THE TIME
AFM #676

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #34
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

the danger is all around you.. avoid it.. its not just lady drivers..its all cagers..ish in the road and your self that are the hazard..
take a riding course and build your skills

i did ride around in steel tip work boots and a dope alpinestar jacket but now i think my SB Sea Crystals, an icon stryker vest and helmet are enough... i know its hot in FL.. just dont wear shorts

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #35
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Mine are a great compromise. Maybe not the BEST protection money can buy, but loads better than sneakers. My ankles are supported and protected, and I can still bend them to shift and (sorta) walk. They are just fine for being able to move my feet around on the pegs, and are very comfortable due to their ski-boot effect *term coined by Floyd to describe the forward slant of the boot.

I have AXO Primato boots in black. I love them. Here's a review that applies well to someone in your position. Note how they maybe aren't THE BEST for ankle protection/hyper-extension prevention, they're still loads better than sneakers. I can honestly say that I can't flex my ankles side to side, so hyper-extension is really the only thing that I would worry about, not twisting.

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #36
n4mwd

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

I sort of like these until I saw the price:

At least they are the right color. One thing I don't like about them is the sharp heel (which can catch on the peg). If I spend that much, I don't want something I will have to modify to feel right in them.

But as far as motorcycle boots go, those are considered cheapies.

I saw a lot of nice looking Chinese copies of motorcycle boots for < $100, but I'm not going that route.

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #37
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
What do you mean sharp heel???? Like the forward lean angle of the whole boot?
AFM #676

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The heel on that boot is likely fine. When I slide my foot forward, the heel block catches at just the right place that I can comfortably up/downshift or brake (depending on which foot we're talking about) because the levers are at just the right spot on my foot for comfort. When I'm done, I just slide my foot back so the ball of my foot is on the peg and ride normally.

Try on some boots and sit on bikes in the dealership with them before you discard them from your consideration. They might pleasantly surprise you. At the very least, it'll give you an idea of what you like or dislike in a motorcycle boot

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #39
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Oh I see what you mean, on the tcx boots its much smaller, nearly flat
AFM #676

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
yeah it's not bad at all on mine. Maybe 1/4" raise on the heel. Just enough to give a good feel of where your foot is on the peg when moving your foot to shift.