ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

View Poll Results: On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with your 300?
1-2: I can't wait to get rid of it. Wish I hadn't purchased it. 2 2.41%
3-4: It's alright. I'll probably sell it soon. 0 0%
5-6: It does it's job. But I'll probably sell it eventually. 13 15.66%
7-8: I have a lot of fun riding it. Don't plan on selling anytime soon. 45 54.22%
9-10: In love with this bike! Will always be part of my stable. 23 27.71%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 14th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #41
xxgibeastxx
ninjette.org member

Name: hunter

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

I love my 2014 Ninja 300(bought it brand new Jan 2015 though). I recently moved from California to Texas and I actually rode my 300 the whole way there. 1500 miles in 3 days and the bike worked perfect. Drove smoothly the whole way. Was cheap on gas too. Way smoother and comfortable then I expected.
xxgibeastxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #42
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Mine is track only, so I cannot give any street riding feedback. It's a blast on the track, but it did take quite a bit of work to get it to where I wanted it. Still needs a bit more power, maybe Kawasaki will up the game with a 350 or 400 soon.

Highly recommended for track fun!
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #43
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxgibeastxx View Post
I love my 2014 Ninja 300(bought it brand new Jan 2015 though). I recently moved from California to Texas and I actually rode my 300 the whole way there. 1500 miles in 3 days and the bike worked perfect. Drove smoothly the whole way. Was cheap on gas too. Way smoother and comfortable then I expected.
Dedication right there man. Welcome to Texas! Best state there is sir.
Jasonm163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #44
xxgibeastxx
ninjette.org member

Name: hunter

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm163 View Post
Dedication right there man. Welcome to Texas! Best state there is sir.
Well Riding to Teaxas spending two nights in hotels the way there, food, and gas was about half the price they quoted me to ship my bike alone. Part of it was me being cheap but yes a lot of dedication to do it. Thanks man.
xxgibeastxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #45
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Very happy. I feel like it is a much better scoot around town than my 600s ever were. I also don't feel as anxious about it getting stolen (lost an R6 that way).

I'm hoping this thing helps me work on my cornering speed at the track this coming year.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #46
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Hmm, i guess i should change my vote... I miss my 300...

Saw they came out with red this year. My have to get one used in a coupe years.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2016, 09:39 AM   #47
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
Hmm, i guess i should change my vote... I miss my 300...

Saw they came out with red this year. My have to get one used in a coupe years.
I was thinking about quoting your previous post about how you loved your 300, then making some snide remark about your sportster

I can't comment on the 300's I'm still stuck on my stone age 250's, which I really enjoy and can't justify any other bike that would work better for me at the moment. For my uses right now of commuting and weekend fun bike the little Ninja's work just fine. Until I really start planning some long distance rides I just can't justify the cost of a bigger bike.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2016, 09:47 AM   #48
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I was thinking about quoting your previous post about how you loved your 300, then making some snide remark about your sportster

I can't comment on the 300's I'm still stuck on my stone age 250's, which I really enjoy and can't justify any other bike that would work better for me at the moment. For my uses right now of commuting and weekend fun bike the little Ninja's work just fine. Until I really start planning some long distance rides I just can't justify the cost of a bigger bike.
If i could have afforded to keep 2 bike i would have, damn finances. lol

The sporty is better for my commuting and longer rides for now.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2016, 01:16 PM   #49
old_rider
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2001 Suzuki LS 650 Savage

New to this forum, might as well start here....

Purchased my 2013 in jan of 2013...... it will be with me for MANY years.... have ridden since I was 10, 50+ now.
I have owned numerous bikes and this one takes me back to my younger years without letting me ruin my driving record or killing myself

It is also a long distance bike if needed and a great short ride around town gas saver, that cost little for full coverage insurance.

Like most of us old farts.... I'd rather ride a low power bike and use all of its cc's, rather than ride a powerful bike and only use a quarter of it's capabilities.

Got some shopping to do... time to ride.... north florida at 65 degrees today...cloudy with a chance of meatballs.
old_rider is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 26th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #50
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rider View Post

Purchased my 2013 in jan of 2013...... it will be with me for MANY years.... have ridden since I was 10, 50+ now.
I have owned numerous bikes and this one takes me back to my younger years without letting me ruin my driving record or killing myself

It is also a long distance bike if needed and a great short ride around town gas saver, that cost little for full coverage insurance.

Like most of us old farts.... I'd rather ride a low power bike and use all of its cc's, rather than ride a powerful bike and only use a quarter of it's capabilities.

Got some shopping to do... time to ride.... north florida at 65 degrees today...cloudy with a chance of meatballs.
Welcome. Why are all of us Bills all old

(It's a riding skills & attitude trick question, kiddies! )
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #51
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:

Welcome. Your screen name looks so familiar *wink*

Old January 28th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #52
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Name: Dante

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Ninja 300 ABS, R.I.P 1986 Ninja EX250

After about. Week of having it, I love it. I didn't think that riding a 300 would be that big of a difference over the 250, but its been a phenomenal change! Riding my old 250 ( '86 Ex250) felt like the bike was cooperating with me. Riding my '16 300 feels like the bike is more in sync with me.

The only complaints so far:

Left rearset is positioned badly for my body, planning on replacing.
The OEM oil filter took me forever to get off. Ratchet straps, hands, pipe wrench, oil filter tool, nothing worked. Had to pop through with a screwdriver, and even then it bent the screwdriver before it finally came off! (K&N filter installed)

Once I modify a few more things on it, I'm sure it'll be above and beyond all I hoped for. ^_^
DanteCoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #53
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteCoal View Post
Left rearset is positioned badly for my body, planning on replacing.
Wait...only the left one? That's intriguing.

Old January 29th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #54
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteCoal View Post
The OEM oil filter took me forever to get off. Ratchet straps, hands, pipe wrench, oil filter tool, nothing worked. Had to pop through with a screwdriver, and even then it bent the screwdriver before it finally came off! (K&N filter installed)
Unless you have personal preference for K&N over other filters, there's no need to use a K&N filter just for the sole purpose of it being easiest to take off. In all my vehicles, I just hand tight all my filters on. When it's time to remove, All it takes is a wrench (or oil filter strap). It's still on there tight....but not OEM tight.

I have no idea why they used a gorilla to install the filter in the factory! Just doesn't make sense.

While on this topic, can anyone explain how (or why) oil filters normally get tighter as time goes by? Once I hand tighten my new oil filter on, I can still (with a bit of a struggle) loosen it by hand. However, once I ride it around for a few hundred miles, there's absolutely no way to remove it by hand.

Old January 29th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #55
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Name: Dante

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Ninja 300 ABS, R.I.P 1986 Ninja EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Wait...only the left one? That's intriguing.
Yeah, the way I ride, my right rests fine over the break, but my left is just a hair too close to the shifter to comfortable rest my foot and still shift quickly. As I've been riding more on this bike it's become a little easier to deal with, but it's still something I'm looking forward to modifying. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Unless you have personal preference for K&N over other filters, there's no need to use a K&N filter just for the sole purpose of it being easiest to take off. In all my vehicles, I just hand tight all my filters on. When it's time to remove, All it takes is a wrench (or oil filter strap). It's still on there tight....but not OEM tight.

I have no idea why they used a gorilla to install the filter in the factory! Just doesn't make sense.

While on this topic, can anyone explain how (or why) oil filters normally get tighter as time goes by? Once I hand tighten my new oil filter on, I can still (with a bit of a struggle) loosen it by hand. However, once I ride it around for a few hundred miles, there's absolutely no way to remove it by hand.
I've used K&N previously, and since it's a quality filter that I can get for $10 a pop, I'm more than happy to use them, and that nice little nut on top; a feature that I prefer just for ease of removal. I've got enough pain in the butt things on a bike, so it's one less thing to worry about. =P

As far as oil filters tightening themselves, my understanding of it is that the pressure of the filter creates a type of pressure seal/lock on the threads, almost like a vacuum, on top of the gasket expanding a bit with the heat (thus creating a better seal, and putting more pressure against the threads) which is why "hand tight" is almost always enough.
DanteCoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #56
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:

Welcome!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #57
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

After owning the 300 since October of 2012 I still love it. My only complaint is power at highway speeds. I don't have any problems with passing on the interstate but I do wish there was a bit more on tap. I fixed my complaint about the hard saddle by upgrading to a Corbin.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 11:53 AM   #58
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post

It's the gasket. It bonds to the filter and the sealing surface on the motor. You have to break that bond and it can be a good one!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2016, 06:48 PM   #59
TP Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja

The only things it's missing is something Kawasaki puts on its other bikes: an emergency flasher.
TP Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2016, 08:45 PM   #60
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP Ninja View Post
The only things it's missing is something Kawasaki puts on its other bikes: an emergency flasher.
Very true! Is it because of cost savings?!?! Most bikes have 4 way flashers. I just don't understand why the 300 don't have that. I mean, the hardware is already there. Just add a button with a wire!!!

Old May 1st, 2016, 09:38 PM   #61
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

As far as I know, I've never had that feature on any of the kawis I've owned (3 generations of ninjettes, a 10R, and a 12R. Not sure if they've started including it on their newer sportbikes.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:41 AM   #62
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Check other bikes for similar controls. Some of the more "race replica" bikes have a lap timer button there instead.

They removed the hazard flasher from the 500 a few years into Gen2. The early control was a direct swap, but was labelled with words rather than pictograms. I found that some of the bigger bikes used a version with the pics instead.

Admittedly, it pissed me off a little more finding out that Kawasaki didn't just remove the hazard flasher from the 500, they removed it while still using that part on other bikes. Talk about penny pinching...

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...301#post989301 is a post from Ghostt with some of my info on it. FYI, the link seems to be going to the wrong page for me - #6398 is the post where you want to start. http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,69130.0.html is my original thread, but you have to be logged in over there to see it.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #63
lizardywizard
green stig

Name: V

Motorcycle(s): '15 Ninja 300 ABS (Hurricane)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Same! She's my first bike so I don't have many points of comparison, other than the tiny 150s I rode on the MSF course and the H-D Road King I took a course on recently. But I think she's just perfect. (The Road King convinced me I'd never buy a Harley, if I wasn't convinced already. Loud and heavy as hell, and trying to keep the clutch in was like squeezing one of those hand exerciser things...)

The seat is a lot more comfortable than I'd been led to believe - I don't get sore on it at all, and I've ridden a lot of bicycles so I know "bike butt". From all I can tell she's a well-made, powerful, yet easy-going machine - I've given her some hard knocks but she's toughed them out with little hassle. For all I'd heard about how bikes can be fickle and fussy, she's a dream. Didn't even complain when I left her in the garage for two weeks at a time (sorry babe) when I was first learning to ride and struggling a lot... I always expected the battery to be run down, but she'd start up straight away, no fuss.

I love her and I'm keeping her forever. I don't need more power than she has - I mean, before riding motorcycles I drove a 2008 Hyundai Accent with 100k miles on the clock that barely makes it to 80 uphill. I'm not in it to go faster than everyone, I'm in it to see the world, to have the experience, to be free.

Besides, there's something cute about a tiny scoot!
lizardywizard is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 28th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #64
mg_bassa
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Prashant

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

I love my pearl white 2014. Perfect for the twisty roads here in the Bay Area. I am 6'1" and was told it might be too small to be comfortable but I find it fits me fine.
Added a zero gravity windshield and mirror extenders from RevZilla. The mirror extenders are a boon as before I could only see my elbows.
I have a Givi 52 liter top case which I need to commute as it easily takes my laptop bag and gym bag however it does detract from the looks. I do understand when people complain about wanting more power but am happy so far. Thoug an SV650 is a bike I lust after sometimes.
Would like to fit side cases to get rid of the ugly top case. Maybe a shorty exhaust slip on.
mg_bassa is offline   Reply With Quote