ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 6th, 2016, 07:08 AM   #1
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Name: Trey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250Rah

Potential 250 purchase!

Hey guys and gals! I've been creeping around here for a bit not posting to much since well I don't have a scoot. Although that may very well change this weekend! With a Rick Flair WOOOOO! I've come across a 2011 250r with around 9500 miles. The hitch is it was dropped, I'm fine with that as long as it's mechanically sound. The right handlebar, foot brake bracket, right turn signal is all that he listed to be damaged and of course the plastics.

If I get this for a good price and replace the damaged components, I feel it would be a sound investment and a great learning experience.

Any suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated, I'm bringing my father along since he has a truck to haul it and he's a master mechanic of 20+ years. Thank you all!

rainpowder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2016, 07:58 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Bike has been stored outside and neglected, as evidenced by overall sun bleaching and the rust even on parts that would not have gotten scraped up in the crash. Given that it's not too old, though, that should not have caused any issues (e.g. water getting into the tank).

An owner who allows things to rust out is less likely to have done proper maintenance, like oil changes. The rusty bolts are not an issue per se... they are an indicator of overall neglect.

Stand the bike up and check that the oil in the sight glass (right side of the engine) is not milky or funky. Black is okay... just means it needs a change. If it looks like chocolate milk, walk away.

Remove the oil filler cap and take a sniff at the filler hole. Does it smell burnt? Caution if so.

Stick your finger into the tailpipe. If it comes out clean, good. If it comes out sooty, no big deal. If it comes out oily, bad.

The crash appears to have been a simple low side and the bike obviously did not flip, so chances of it being tweaked are not high. Check for that anyway... have someone hold the bike vertical and stand well back from it (like 20-30 feet) to see if everything looks like it's lined up (bent clip on aside). Also look from close up. If there's anything that looks out of line about the forks, walk away. Dents in the fork tubes, walk away.

The right rearset is a total loss, so ignore it. The good news is that the mounting point on the frame looks to be untouched. Inspect it carefully anyway and compare it to the left side. If the mounting points are bent at all, walk away. All the other bits (rear brake pedal, master cylinder, etc.) are easy to replace.

Start the bike. Does it spit blue smoke? Bad. Does it spit heavy white smoke? Bad. (A little white vapor at first startup is okay.) Does the exhaust smell funny? Bad. Once warmed up, does it idle smoothly?

Arriving to find the bike already running or hot is a mild warning sign. It could mean the owner knows it won't start readily and is trying to hide the fact. Not that big a deal.

Understand that this bike has a manual choke. Talk to your father about this... it affects how the bike starts and warms up. It is not unusual for a bike with a manual choke to not start instantly, and the choke affects what you see and hear during warm-up.

If ANYTHING looks funky or feels wrong, walk away. Stories about the owner's third cousin's best friend's ex-girlfriend, lost titles, weird loans, etc. etc. etc.... Treat anything that doesn't look proper as an attempt to rip you off. Because it probably is.

Last and by FAR the most important word of advice: Do NOT get attached to this bike just because it's a good deal. Think with your head, not your heart, and be patient. Do your homework and know exactly what you're getting into. There are many, many bikes out there....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #3
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Very through ADouglas! Thank you for taking the time to look out for me. I'm fairly familiar with the 250s just never had a street bike. Growing up with a master mechanic you inherit the motorhead knowledge . Since my father will be there with me I'll also see if we can walk the bike to check the transmission and how the gears shift. Thanks again

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #4
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainpowder View Post
Very through ADouglas! Thank you for taking the time to look out for me. I'm fairly familiar with the 250s just never had a street bike. Growing up with a master mechanic you inherit the motorhead knowledge . Since my father will be there with me I'll also see if we can walk the bike to check the transmission and how the gears shift. Thanks again
If the engine won't start, you won't be able to test the transmission, FYI.

There is a fuel valve on the left side of the bike near the tank. The PRI position will allow the carbs to fill with gas without having to crank on it forever if it's been sitting, since these have a vacuum petcock. Turn it to PRI for minute, then try and start it. You'll need a flatblade screwdriver to turn the fuel valve.

You MIGHT have to remove the flat black plastic piece between the seat and tank to get to it....I bought mine with full race fairings so it's easy to get to....not sure about factory fairings.

It's going to need a full fluid flush, carb clean most likely and chain and sprockets. That chain looks more rust than metal....factor this plus the other needed parts into your offer. Good luck!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #5
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Seller just said oh it won't start since I drained the gas. I'll see if he'll adjust the price if so I'd still be down, planning on the k&n pod filters which would require rejetting anyway, just as long as the block and trans are still good. We'll see how he acts.

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Seller just said oh it won't start since I drained the gas. I'll see if he'll adjust the price if so I'd still be down, planning on the k&n pod filters which would require rejetting anyway, just as long as the block and trans are still good. We'll see how he acts.
Bring a gas can with you. Gas is cheap now, $2 for a gallon of gas won't break the bank, right?

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #7
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Oh yea, definitely have that on hand. He says he's going to check it out Monday. I've got his word he won't pull it from under me but we'll see. Hopefully it's just what he's saying, that the carbs pulled crap in and fouled it. Stay tuned

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #8
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

The old man's truck a couple tons worth of tools, air compressor, welder, oh and the crane. We could tear down the 250 easy

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #9
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
The old man's truck a couple tons worth of tools, air compressor, welder, oh and the crane. We could tear down the 250 easy

I wouldn't put too much work into it lol.

FWIW, I wouldn't pay more than 12-1500 for it in that condition. Going rate for a nice one in my neck of the woods is 3000-3200.

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #10
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

1200 is what we're at now

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #11
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
1200 is what we're at now
I'd be fairly comfortable with that.

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #12
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Right RacinNinja? Haha stoked, of course if there are any major foulings with the block I'm out.

Old February 6th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Seller just said oh it won't start since I drained the gas.
That's exactly the kind of nonsense I mean. C'mon... really? If the guy is really interested in selling, you'd think he'd at least get it running.

Yeah, bring gas. Also bring jumper cables in case the battery is flat.

Old February 6th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #14
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

WHOOOOO! The guy apparently had it sitting for a bit. He drained the gas that was sitting (?) And put new gas in and sent me a video of it running. Ladies and gentlemen in 4 hours I'll have her home! As long as it's not total crap. fingers crossed.

Old February 6th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #15
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

HA GOTTEM!

Guy was legit, just one of those unicorn deals! Oil was clean, muffler wasn't oily, clutch and gearing was good. Can't wait to get the parts in. More beauty shots forthcoming! WHHUUT!

Guy was so legit he was gonna give me his jacket and gloves, didn't Hanne the jacket anymore but gave me the gloves!

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #16
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Congrats!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #17
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Thanks CaliGrrl! I'm extremely excited, once the tax refund hits the parts will start rolling in

Welcome home Midnight!

Absolutely filthy, where's the cleaning and detailing thread? It's ok though she can't help how she was treated!

I noticed some other pieces like the caps on the end of the swing arm are missing, probably find more of that but I'm not worried. Bath after church if the weather is warm enough

Thanks for all the positive comments and checking out my thread!

Where's my 803 riders! ?

Old February 7th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #18
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Noticed a bolt missing from the clutch leaver system.

Is this the correct replacement bolt?

Old February 7th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #19
CaliGrrl

So it's a good thing you're checking it all out before riding!

Old February 7th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #20
peperino
ninjette.org member

Name: _

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Congratulations!

No bolt in there, just a rubber plug
peperino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #21
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperino View Post
Congratulations!

No bolt in there, just a rubber plug
Thanks Peperino! I guess I'll look for a nylon plug or something to pop in there. Just treated all the black plastic parts with Mother's Back to Black, and some tire treatment. First 24hrs a success!

I'll make sure I hit everything again several times with the Back to Black.

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:44 PM   #22
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "TIRE TREATMENT"!!!!

NEVER use tire treatment on motorcycles!!! It is EXTREMELY dangerous as they will be ridiculously slippery!!!!

If it were me: I'd throw them out and replace them!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #23
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "TIRE TREATMENT"!!!!

NEVER use tire treatment on motorcycles!!! It is EXTREMELY dangerous as they will be ridiculously slippery!!!!

If it were me: I'd throw them out and replace them!

Ha maybe I should clarify, tire cleaner. The rims and tires were filthy as well, so I cleaned them I wouldn't put any of the tire shine or crap like that on there
Don't worry the tires will probably have to be replaced soon anyway, everything looks like it has sat for a while.

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #24
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Ok. I'm not familiar with the brands you mentioned but anything other than say a mild soap should be avoided on tires and absolutely no silicone etc treatments like Armour All. You will crash!
Many new riders have shined up their new ride and wiped out at the first turn!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #25
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Ok. I'm not familiar with the brands you mentioned but anything other than say a mild soap should be avoided on tires and absolutely no silicone etc treatments like Armour All. You will crash!
Many new riders have shined up their new ride and wiped out at the first turn!
Thank you for the words of caution SLOWn60, I used the mother's BTB just on the non painted components ie gauge cluster, side panels, etc. It more or less is supposed to restore the darker color of black plastic accent pieces. Like the ones you often see on vehicles that have faded to grey. The "tire treatment" was just cleaning the tires with a degreaser. Trying to make it look purty

Old February 8th, 2016, 06:06 AM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

Looks like you got yourself a real deal! Congrats.

You're lucky the owner had replaced the front turn signals. While I'm no fan of flush-mounts because they're less visible, the most common fairing damage when one of these bikes goes down is a break at the turn signal hole, caused when the signal stalk punches through the plastic. Ask me how I know this...

The rear tire is pretty much shot, but it'll carry you for awhile. But don't let it get completely bald.

The gloves are useless, being mesh. If it were me, I'd throw them in the trash immediately.

Ask yourself this: If you were to take a belt sander to them, how long would they survive? What do you think sliding down the pavement is like? Same goes for any piece of gear. This is why a lot of experienced riders wear leather.

When you look at your bike, you see first hand the damage that happens when a bike goes down. The same thing happens to the rider. So the smart move is to dress for that. You need stuff that will hold up when sliding on asphalt and if you value your skin (and your wallet), nothing less will do.

If good gear seems too expensive to you, check out the first post in this thread:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show....php?p=1079164

Old February 12th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #27
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Gear came in! Woooo!

Scorpion EXO Ventec ll

Bell Qualifier

Testers!

Old February 15th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #28
CaliGrrl

Whooo! Good to have good gear.

Old February 29th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #29
rainpowder
ninjette.org member

Rearset painted and on

Had help from the pit chief!

Bar end glass on.

Fresh oil change, just gotta finish the body work and we're ready to roll!

Old March 1st, 2016, 02:03 PM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 02:25 PM   #31
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Rearset painted and on

Fresh oil change, just gotta finish the body work and we're ready to roll!
Please please please tell me you also got a new chain and sprocket set as well as the proper plug for the swingarm that doubles as a chain adjuster. (I see uber rusty old kinked chain in this pic) And a brake fluid flush.

Please?