ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Touch up paint?

Hi all, I noticed a deep scratch on my fairing and want to touch it up. My bike is the lime green one... any recommendations as to where to get a perfectly matching paint? The dealerships around my area seem to use colorrite (http://www.colorrite.com/), but at $15+ for a "pen" it's really pricey. I tried doing a color match at home depot but the green came out lighter. Any suggestions? Do you guys just leave the deep scratches alone? I'm worried it would chip and get bigger over time.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2003 YZF600R, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I use colorrite. Dont bother with the pen though, just get the small bottle. Much easier application. Their products are great. The match to my Yamaha silver was right on.

Old December 26th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #3
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

I had a costly and useless experience with Colorrite. The paint color will probably match, but as you saw it will be very expensive. After pulling the stock dual exhaust, the left swing arm had been worn down to the metal so I decided to sand and re-paint it. Colorrite sent me the wrong color (partially my fault, but partially their fault for the representation on the website) and their lack of return policy had me out 40 dollars for a can of paint I can't do much with. I ended up just going to home depot and found a spot on silver match for the swing arm for a fraction of the cost.

Oh, it probably doesn't matter because it's on your fairing, but i've found the paint to be pretty soft and will wear over time.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #4
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

It may be pricey but I've always had good luck with it. Red is a b**** to match as well as your green. Shades differ every year. Colorite has the match and I never shortcut it. I do the base (if called for) the color paint and then top it off with the clearcoat. I only do pens and its around awhile for any incidental paint issues thru the year. Works well for me. If it were a god awful size in paint damage, I'd probably take it to a professional for the repair on my bike. "Cut once, measure twice".. saves alot of grief down the road (never shortcut)...
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
It may be pricey but I've always had good luck with it. Red is a b**** to match as well as your green. Shades differ every year. Colorite has the match and I never shortcut it. I do the base (if called for) the color paint and then top it off with the clearcoat. I only do pens and its around awhile for any incidental paint issues thru the year. Works well for me. If it were a god awful size in paint damage, I'd probably take it to a professional for the repair on my bike. "Cut once, measure twice".. saves alot of grief down the road (never shortcut)...
Good to know they match well. Thanks!
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Depending on how deep the scratches are you may also want to try rubbing compound. Be sure to use sparingly and don't use lots of pressure.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #7
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I don't remember how it turned out, but I do also remember someone using model paint from a hobby store - you might want to search for that thread