ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 5th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Bugger! Sena wet

My sena headset got a sticky stuff on it, perhaps tree sap, so I popped it off the helmet to clean. I used a damp sponge, but ended up scrubbing so hard that I not only rubbed the rubber cover open, but also squeezed water out of the sponge. In the end, the little red light stays on all the time dimly but the unit seems to work fine. In the end, I've placed it in a ziplock bag full of rice to absorb the moisture. This unit is the brand new one that I just bought, if this sort of thing had to happen, I wish it would have happened to one of my older non-upgradable units. cest la vie.

Old July 5th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

probably too late now, but next time any water hits it or anything electronic...Take it apart and let it air dry 12-24 hrs.

If any moisture is left, when powered on, it can short out a light or component completely.
I've had to recover laptops from lakes (car crash, no clue how car ended up in lake 500ft away from road) anyway, it worked fine after proper drying.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #3
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

After a few days in the rice, the red LED was still glowing dimly (incorrect behavior). I found my tiny torx drivers and broke it open. There was crud near the USB jack where the water from my sponge entered. I removed the battery and doused the PCB with isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. When it dried this morning, the crud had simply moved to a new place on the circuit board. I've taken it to work with me today and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner and it's drying now. We'll see.

Folks if you wet your electronics, take it apart and remove battery ASAP and rinse the circuit board with distilled water before it dries. Must be distilled water because it has no conductive minerals in it and is an insulator. Once the salts and/or sugars dry on your stuff, it's hard to get all of it off.