ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 4th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

ATGATT... but what about knee/hip pads?

So I'll be getting my own bike soon, and I have a jacket/helm/etc, but now pants..

I'll be doing the majority of riding in the summer and fall in like.. 65+ degree weather, and I don't want to be uncomfortable wearing protective pants. I don't have the cash to buy more than one pair right now, or at least where I'd have something that was solely pants vs. something like over pants, so I'm opting for the over pants only right now.

My predicament is that I don't know anything about my alternatives. I see knee pads and things like that for sale, but would that really be enough? I mean, my hips are still at risk, and I'd be worried that it generally wouldn't protect enough in a (knock on wood) wreck.

In the choice between over pants or pieces of armor during summer driving/commuting, what would you pick?

P.S. I'll need to be able to change quickly for things like work etc. out of my riding gear too.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #2
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Me personally...I'd pick overpants. Most come with CE approved armour plus you get the protection you would need in the event you went down and slid across the pavement. Regular pants with armour underneath won't protect you from road rash.
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

I understand. I'm just worried I'll be sweating bullets by the time I get to work with anything over my jeans. Then again, I've never worn over pants to know.

Old March 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #4
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

They make overpants that have mesh inserts in them. That helps alot. I ride year round (in scorching TX heat) with my overpants and my legs usually don't get too overheated as long as you aren't sitting in traffic.
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

cool, thank you! That helps a lot.

Old March 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekkakat View Post
I understand. I'm just worried I'll be sweating bullets by the time I get to work with anything over my jeans. Then again, I've never worn over pants to know.
I have overpants, reinforced jeans, reinforced khakis and knee/shin armor so I do various combinations. Of them all, I probably use the overpants the most because I live in a tropical climate and I find them to be the most comfortable and best for commuting. I did a review of them (Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0) in this thread.

I sometimes go with the knee/shin guards under my work slacks for my commute, but they sweat when it gets hot. And, as you mention, there isn't hip protection and I'm really risking abrasion in a fall. Reinforced Kevlar jeans (I have a pair of Shift Low jeans) work great for abrasion resistance and are pretty comfortable in hot weather (unlike my pair of Cortech khakis which too hot to ever wear), but work best in combination with knee/shin protection. I've been down in kevlar jeans once (with my knee armor on) and they did great, but my hip hurt like hell.

Overall, if I could only choose one protective pant from what I use, it would be my mesh overpants. Especially great in hot weather. Only issue is that you basically look like a dork wearing ski pants walking around in them. My solution is to wear shorts underneath and take them off when I get somewhere.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Basically everything Floyd just said applies to me as well.

I have some Alpinestars Textile/Leather track pants that I use for purely riding. I might stop to fill up for gas and grab a drink or something. These pants are ultimate protection short of a tracksuit and I only bother with them when I plan to ride all day long.

I have a pair of Shift Torque riding jeans and I am very happy with them so far (they are a new addition to my expanding m/c wardrobe). Like Floyd pointed out, they have to be used with knee/shin protection for maximum protection and they lack any sort of hip pads.

My over-pants are used more than the other two pairs of riding pants I own. They, as Floyd said, look ridiculous off the bike and I often wear shorts in warmer weather under them so I can pull them off of needed. The ones I have (Alpinestars) are water resistant as well, and they have a thermal liner for colder weather. This really is your best bet.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #8
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Another +1 for overpants, particularly the mesh ones in summer. I wear shorts under mine when touring and jeans the rest of the time. I'm only uncomfortable if I'm in totally stopped traffic in 90+ heat....which, heck, is uncomfortable in the car even with A/C on, too!

Old March 4th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #9
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

To summarize. If you had a poll going the consensus would be:

1) overpants w/ mesh + armor
2) reinforced pants w/ knee/shin armor

I use both but i'll probably be adding some knox multisport armored shorts for hip armor.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I was also in this situation. ATGATT except for knee protection. I got the Icon Leg Men's Field Armor. You can wear them under your jeans. If I'm riding to work, I skip them, but if I'm going for a weekend ride I put them on. So I'm not technically ATGATT but this is certainly better than nothing and works for me.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote