ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 8th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #41
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Yeah, when the road is wet I keep the RPMs lower than usually and short shift. I just assume the road is as slippery as oil (though with good tires it isn't) and both ride and brake accordingly. Keep your steering, throttle, and brake inputs slow, deliberate and steady.

Last futzed with by capt_bugaloo; May 8th, 2014 at 09:38 AM.
capt_bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #42
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

I generally ride with the flow of traffic and I give myself a lot of room to brake. If I am in the twisties I will tend to take every turn.. especially the blind ones with caution. I basically ride in the rain where I feel comfortable which is generally on the slow cautious side.
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #43
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
what i like to think i do:

light rain: be smoother and slow down
heavy rain: try to stay in the open, use your aeros to keep the wet off your eyes
heavy rain with traffic: find a new route... maybe sit it out with some coffee.

what i actually do: **** it. i want to get home. +25.
Pretty much this, altho I don't sit it out unless it's very heavy rain.

Main roads I go flat on the tank & in the bubble to keep a good bit of the rain from getting down into my crotch... My leathers have a neoprene stretch panel that acts like a wetsuit.

I do something similar at traffic lights in heavy rain.

Popping your head out of the bubble & looking sideways generally clears half the visor, repeat on the other side... if it doesn't then you're not going fast enough

Where I'm from it rains about 10 days a month throughout the year, fair weather bikers don't get much saddle time.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #44
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Name: ricardo

Motorcycle(s): 250

most of the time in the rain i ride as fast as i do in the dry. But the big thing i do different is give alot more space between me and cars, and if cars and on my rear i let them go and move aside.

I also slow down while cornering much more, and im careful alot more on the white marks on the roads.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #45
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Just finished putting in another 150ish miles on my new bike in the rain. I kept it under 110 Mph or so on the highway. In wet mode I have the electronic engine braking set to high so the bike will start slowing if I let off the throttle, no need to do too much braking which can unsettle the bike in the wet. Also using TC, ABS, and low power mode (125hp) helps to keep things predictable.

With the ninjette I would probably keep it under 55 but she had the crappy stock tires, that I could feel slipping if I got too aggressive or asked for too much.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #46
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
Just finished putting in another 150ish miles on my new bike in the rain. I kept it under 110 Mph or so on the highway. In wet mode I have the electronic engine braking set to high so the bike will start slowing if I let off the throttle, no need to do too much braking which can unsettle the bike in the wet. Also using TC, ABS, and low power mode (125hp) helps to keep things predictable.

With the ninjette I would probably keep it under 55 but she had the crappy stock tires, that I could feel slipping if I got too aggressive or asked for too much.
#1 I'm extremely jealous of you're bike and all it's crazy features.

#2 Yeah I kept it at 55mph in the wet yesterday on the Ninja. Need to upgrade from the IRC's.

Old May 15th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #47
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

yeah i just avoid rain altogether..it's not too hard to do that in socal
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #48
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
#1 I'm extremely jealous of you're bike and all it's crazy features.

#2 Yeah I kept it at 55mph in the wet yesterday on the Ninja. Need to upgrade from the IRC's.
The electronics on the Ducati are certainly top of the line however the opportunity to develop and strengthen wet riding skills on the 250R should not be overlooked. The time you take to develop skills is a good investment regardless of what bike you're on...

That said, I agree that the IRCs suck bad and inspire no confidence.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #49
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
............Whenever I get another bike ABS is high on my list of wants. Until then I'll just try to practice self control when applying my brakes and keep a huge cushion on the highway.......
Please, read this:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/ri...pring-showers/
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #50
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Not quite... see below.

As a rule of thumb, short shifting does not equal low rpms. It just means you shift before reaching peak torque. For example; my bike (250) reaches peak torque somewhere around 12.5k rpms. ie, it will pull a small wheelie during the shift from 1st to 2nd on clean, dry tarmac. In the rain... I will shift somewhere around 9k-10k rpms. So you see the rpms are up, but not at peak. Its a preventative thing, not a reactionary thing. Think about this too, a bike has 3 possible gyroscopes to help keep it shiny side up. The front and rear wheels are easy ones, what could be the third???? The engine... Keep it spun up and you will have a 3rd.

And yes, you should be adjusting to conditions. Not all surfaces are the same, and next year you could be on a different set of tires. The last time I tracked in the rain, EVERYONE (not joking here) on dot tires crashed but me. There were 3 riders on rain tires that obviously had more grip but you get the idea. I will dig up some vid of me on a wet track. I think I have some where I rode in what was left of a hurricane a year or so ago (not joking here either).

Going back to my original comment, a (mostly) stock 250's peak torque is somewhere around 12k, give or take depending on the tune. Don't shift there, shift before, pretty simple. But don't lug it either. Because for whatever reason, if you need the power... what little bit there is to be had will not be there.

Hope that helps, if not... I will try again.
Hell yes. Very well-explained. Chris, I hope you start that coaching job you applied for soon. You'd be a great one!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #51
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

It seems like the key advice for riding in the wet is to do all the things you are supposed to do in the dry (be smooth, watch your speed, give yourself room to brake) but to an even greater degree to make up for the loss of traction.

I've been trying to develop the habit of not braking on paint and avoiding manhole covers even when it is dry out. Hopefully the habit will be ingrained when it's raining and come natural.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #52
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
......I've been trying to develop the habit of not braking on paint and avoiding manhole covers even when it is dry out. Hopefully the habit will be ingrained when it's raining and come natural.
That is a very good idea.
Flatted soda cans, cardboard, Coroplast, grass, tree leaves, fine sand: all have similar effects and avoiding those while leaning and braking is a good precaution, wet or dry.

With enough miles, one develops an extra sense for what the contact patches are feeling.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #53
psykown
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

Japanese Motorcycle cops in the rain!

Link to original page on YouTube.

I cant even come close to that in the dry on a perfect course

psykown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #54
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14

quote me to see how

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #55
psykown
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

Ahhh gotcha, thanks!

Old April 8th, 2015, 11:54 AM   #56
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Here's the same rider in the dry

Old April 8th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #57
psykown
ninjette.org member

That was the very next video I played lol at one point near the end hes was scraping his frame sliders on the ground!

(this is my favorite part of procrastinating on school work, I find so many good videos lol)

Old April 8th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #58
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote