ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 26th, 2022, 03:27 PM   #1
oswa
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Exclamation Bike Won't Rev Past 3k RPM

Last week I bought a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 crazy cheap because the owner started having problems with it; causing it to be unrideable. He had the bike for about 1 year and everything was fine until a month ago when the bike started bogging out on him. He mentioned that it starts up perfectly but as soon as he revs it or accelerates past 2.5-3k RPM's it (tries to) dies on him unless he eases off the throttle or shifts gear.

He started tinkering with it to see what was going on and he realized the air filter had disintegrated and more than likely went into the engine. He still rode around with it under 3k RPM but the issue didn't go away so he listed it for sale.

I'm going to get to work this weekend on it to see what was going on and see if I can figure out the issue. Where do y'all recommend I start? What do you think might be going on?

Thanks!
oswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2022, 04:06 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The problem is almost certainly dirty carbs. They're not easy to clean, so don't try until you read all about the various passages, O-rings, diaphragms, etc..

In case you want to have a Pro with plenty of Ninja 250 carb experience clean and restore them to new condition, Ducatiman here on the board is your guy.

Welcome to the board, Dave!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2022, 04:08 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Greetings & Salutations Dave!!!

Could be many things. Most likely some sort of vacuum-leak:

1. check rubber manifolds between throttle-body and head
2. check rubber hose between manifold and MAP sensor
3. measure MAP-sensor voltage-output with key ON/bike OFF
4. measure MAP-sensor voltage-output with key ON/bike idling
5. compare #3 and #4 with values given in manual

Most likely issue with MAP sensor, disconnected or cracked hose is common culprit for these symptoms. Might also be fuel issue:

6. how long was bike sitting before owner ran it recently? If more than 6-months, dump tank and put fresh petrol in with some PEA-based fuel-system cleaner
7. fuel pump? Follow test in manual to measure fuel-pump flow volume and pressure.
8. fuel filter? Might be implicated in #7 if flow is below limits.
9. fuel injectors clogged? There's way to measure their flow. Might be easier to just send them to https://mrinjector.us for cleaning with before& after flow-testing

10. sparks are least likely, but may be issue. Pull plugs and take look at them. Inspect spark by grounding plug onto engine and cranking. What colour is spark?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2022, 04:11 PM   #4
oswa
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
The problem is almost certainly dirty carbs. They're not easy to clean, so don't try until you read all about the various passages, O-rings, diaphragms, etc..

In case you want to have a Pro with plenty of Ninja 250 carb experience clean and restore them to new condition, Ducatiman here on the board is your guy.

Welcome to the board, Dave!
Thank you for the quick reply!

Definitely not the carbs since it's a 2014 Ninja 300; No carbs in these bikes that I'm aware of.

Old January 26th, 2022, 04:15 PM   #5
oswa
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Greetings & Salutations Dave!!!

Could be many things. Most likely some sort of vacuum-leak:

1. check rubber manifolds between throttle-body and head
2. check rubber hose between manifold and MAP sensor
3. measure MAP-sensor voltage-output with key ON/bike OFF
4. measure MAP-sensor voltage-output with key ON/bike idling
5. compare #3 and #4 with values given in manual

Most likely issue with MAP sensor, disconnected or cracked hose is common culprit for these symptoms. Might also be fuel issue:

6. how long was bike sitting before owner ran it recently? If more than 6-months, dump tank and put fresh petrol in with some PEA-based fuel-system cleaner
7. fuel pump? Follow test in manual to measure fuel-pump flow volume and pressure.
8. fuel filter? Might be implicated in #7 if flow is below limits.
9. fuel injectors clogged? There's way to measure their flow. Might be easier to just send them to https://mrinjector.us for cleaning with before& after flow-testing
The fuel is all good. I checked all that and it all looks solid. I will put #1-5 on my to-check list though!
Thanks!

Old January 26th, 2022, 05:03 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oswa View Post
Thank you for the quick reply!

Definitely not the carbs since it's a 2014 Ninja 300; No carbs in these bikes that I'm aware of.
Sorry! I keep forgetting that the this site covers more than the 250s now.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2022, 07:28 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I posted this on the Ninja 300 forum as well -

I'd start by draining the fuel, and refilling with fresh. Also get a new stock air filter. See if any parts of the damaged air filter may be stuck in the throttle bodies.

Look at the inside of the tank for debris or rust that may be restricting the flow to the fuel pump. It's possible the pump could be bad.

Check the battery voltage. Many engines do not like to run well with low voltage. Before starting, it should be 12.7V or more. During cranking, it should stay over 10V.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 27th, 2022, 08:31 AM   #8
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
+1 to the above...furthermore...I'd suggest replacing injector filter baskets, ultrasonically cleaning injectors using PROPER machine. Very well could be clogged.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2022, 01:41 PM   #9
oswa
ninjette.org newbie

Got the bike started and it’s not dying anymore. Starts just fine without hesitation and stays on no problem. HOWEVER, she still doesn’t rev past 2-3k when given throttle. See link below for the video I took and let me know what you think.

Link to original page on YouTube.