ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Exclamation Why it's always good to check your tires before any ride...

I stopped at a coffee shop near my office on my commute this morning.
When I walked back out to the bike, I saw something on my back tire. I thought it might be a piece of leaf or paper and almost ignored it.

I took a closer look - and found an Exact-O blade buried about halfway into my tire! See photo:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/...2518f4e86c.jpg

It was buried dull-end first. I suspect some dummy threw an old blade on the roadway, and I was unfortunate enough to pick it up as I pulled into the parking lot.

I asked around and borrowed a pair of pliers from someone (note to self, keep your Leatherman tool/knife on you when riding) and pulled the blade out. It was buried about a half-inch deep, and went in not at the centre of the tread, but about an inch or two offset, so a thicker layer of rubber.

I am glad I spotted the blade or I could have rode off and pushed it deeper into the tire! After pulling the blade, I pushed the bike over to the office and will go out and check it at lunch time to see if it is leaking air...

Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM   #2
gamma500
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Amazing what the stickier tires (03's) can pick up. Finished a race at Daytona (not the 250R !) and found a hissing rear tire with a chain master link stuck in her. How a rounded off piece like this laying flat I presume mananged to penetrate a tire, albeit at 140 mph is remarkable.
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #3
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma500 View Post
Amazing what the stickier tires (03's) can pick up. Finished a race at Daytona (not the 250R !) and found a hissing rear tire with a chain master link stuck in her. How a rounded off piece like this laying flat I presume mananged to penetrate a tire, albeit at 140 mph is remarkable.
I think the front tire picks it up and slings it towards the back tire. Like a dart.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #4
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Just went out there, 3 hours after I pulled the blade out, and the tire seems good. I'll check it in another couple hours. (If it's gonna go flat I'd rather find out at 1 o'clock than 4:30 PM...)

Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

Come on tell it like a true Canadian, you stopped at a Timmies didn't you??

Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Might try going out w/ a cup of water with some soap mixed in it ( I usually use dish soap) and liberally cover where the blade was. Bubbles = you need a patch or new tire.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:39 PM   #7
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingtigger View Post
Come on tell it like a true Canadian, you stopped at a Timmies didn't you??
I chuckled .... good one Rob....however will go over most heads down here... Timmies is very Upper Northeast U.S. (limited) and no where mid or down south.... Cdn by birth, U.S. by choice...
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM   #8
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Might try going out w/ a cup of water with some soap mixed in it ( I usually use dish soap) and liberally cover where the blade was. Bubbles = you need a patch or new tire.
Poured some water on it. No bubbles.

And it wasn't a Tim Horton's - I wish. It's the only coffee shop near the office, and instead of an affordable Timmie's, it is an independent 'trendy' Starbucks wannabe that charges outrageous prices : $2.90 for a 16 oz cup of coffee, for example.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

I picked up a nail on my way to work the other day and thankfully a co-worker noticed it as we were standing by my bike talking before we went home for the day...luckily it didn't puncture the air chamber, just skirted around it and out the sidewall.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote