ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 29th, 2023, 07:15 AM   #1
jagdge1
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Question What is this thing? Broken part within alternator assembly? (Pics)

Hey there,

I just bought a new to me 2010 ninja 250. It had charging issues that I knew of, and I'm trying to fix it up. Replaced the stator and successfully got headlights working again. But I am concerned about the following, which I removed from being wrapped around the crankshaft behind the flywheel.

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/zVK6Ih6

Question: What is this sheared bolt, and what are these wires from?

edit:

Answer: the ignition pulser ( pickup coil ) got destroyed. ugh.

Last futzed with by jagdge1; July 29th, 2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: found the answer
jagdge1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2023, 09:46 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdge1 View Post

Answer: the ignition pulser ( pickup coil ) got destroyed. ugh.
Yup!!! Good job tracking that down!

Best to use some blue Loctite threadlocker and torque-wrench on anything that attaches to engine. Otherwise, vibration shakes bolts loose and whatever's attached falls off.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2023, 10:39 AM   #3
jagdge1
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Thanks for the info!

The JIS screws on the initial pulse igniter was gotcha #1.

when I replaced the stator (whose 3 yellow wires had been completely demolished, an easy drop in replacement), there was no spark.

gotcha #2:

I installed the pulse igniter with the magnetic side facing away from the rotor

gotcha #3:

I failed to install the JIS screws with blue lock tite when I had it facing the right way. The rotor caught the magnetic pickup head and all the wiring came along for the ride.

===
I must have installed and removed the alternator cover, and removed & added sealing gaskets, at least 5 times.

Through trial and error I found an easy way to take off the alternator / stator cover without damaging the mating surfaces:

There's one screw hole on the alternator / stator cover that does not mate with the body, that you can insert a lever ( i used a spoon ) to gently overcome the magnet and pop the cover off.

When the cover is on and facing the bike, front wheel to your left.. This screw mount is on the right most - I believe it's for the engine sprocket cover. When all the stator cover bolts are on, it's the only hole that won't have a screw in it. It's a great fulcrum point. I spent too much energy trying to remove the cover from the top tab, it looks too inviting.
jagdge1 is offline   Reply With Quote