ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #1
redninjadude
ninjette.org member

Name: Dietrich

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

All gamers looking forward to Star Wars: The Old Republic

I found these sites and bookmarked them awhile back, figured I'd share them. They have just about every bit of information that has been released on Star Wars: The Old Republic and is updated every time a new piece of new info comes out.

Here's one...
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...88836&page=101

And the other...
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...arious-sources

Enjoy!
redninjadude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #2
banhbaoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Bao

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r Red

been waiting for this one
banhbaoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

The cinematic trailers for this game were better than all 3 of the prequel movies combined.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
The cinematic trailers for this game were better than all 3 of the prequel movies combined.
+ a bajillion.

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I am a big fan of KOTOR and I enjoyed KOTOR 2. In fact, Darth Revan is probably my all time favorite Star Wars character. The Old Republic setting has always been more appealing to me than the movies' setting.

That being said, I feel let down by how this game looks. I've played a ton of MMO's and something about how the combat looks turns me off. I want to play so I can pass judgement, but I doubt that this game will have much more success than SWG in the long run.

Though the timing is good, it looks like another game trying to be a WoW killer that will fail.

I've been waiting just as long for Planetside 2 and it looks quite a bit more appealing to me, but I'm biased because I've played Planetside(off and on) since release.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Im so over MMO's until they stop charging online fee's.

Guild Wars did awesome.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #7
banhbaoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Bao

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r Red

^^ yess can't wait for GW2
banhbaoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfh4xx View Post
Im so over MMO's until they stop charging online fee's.

Guild Wars did awesome.
Are you referring to subscription fee MMO's? There are some free-to-play out there like LOTR and Maple Story. I liked Vindictus, but like any MMO, just fell out of it.

Old July 14th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Age of Conan went free a couple of weeks back. The penalties for having a free account aren't that bad either, from my perspective.

I think micropayment systems are becomming more and more popular and it's only a matter of time before there are major releases with this as their initial method of payment.

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #10
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Micro pay generates much more revenue than fee based. Items and loot in MMO's are like crack
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
I am a big fan of KOTOR and I enjoyed KOTOR 2. In fact, Darth Revan is probably my all time favorite Star Wars character. The Old Republic setting has always been more appealing to me than the movies' setting.

That being said, I feel let down by how this game looks. I've played a ton of MMO's and something about how the combat looks turns me off. I want to play so I can pass judgement, but I doubt that this game will have much more success than SWG in the long run.

Though the timing is good, it looks like another game trying to be a WoW killer that will fail.

I've been waiting just as long for Planetside 2 and it looks quite a bit more appealing to me, but I'm biased because I've played Planetside(off and on) since release.
I loved KOTOR. The sequel had better game mechanics, but I think the first one had a far better story. I am inclined to agree with you. What little I have seen of combat has been very uninspiring and I feel they are just trying to release a game using the Star Wars name to try to put a dent into WOW, now that it isn't quite the behemoth it was.

I don't care if it's Star Wars or the rumored 40K MMO I heard about, but I am so damn tired of elves and dwarves and I really want a sci-fi setting in a game; with a well thought out combat system, and exploration that awards you. Is Planetside sci-fi based?

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Liber
ninjette.org sage

There's video of the 40k MMO. The devs already stated they are targeting a niche market and not trying to steal any of WoW's base. It looks to be more of an MMO Action-RPG, more in the vein of planetside. It looks like it will at least be 3rd person shooter with RPG stat building and loot collection. Looking at it video though, I think there will be heavy use of NPC's to form your squads in the game. I assume you can join "platoons" to form groups of players.

It sounds like a sci-fi guild wars that allows you to take NPC's with you into the multiplayer zones. I smell insane RPG PvP. As long as they make sure their network code is good and stable, I think they will succeed.

Imperial Guard ftw.

As for Planetside, yes it is sci-fi. There isn't much exploration involved though. It's 99.9% PvP. No loot collection either. A very small skill bar that really only comes in handy for skilled players. Just RPG experience/leveling which allows you to equip more/better equipment. It is MMOFPS, which requires you to rely on your own skill, which means a smart lvl 1 player can kill a dumb lvl 20 fairly easily.

Old July 19th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Flashmonkey

I'm not gonna lie....odds are good that I won't be playing this video game...but with cinematics like this:

Link to original page on YouTube.

You have to ask the question: how dead does Lucas have to be before we can re-do the prequels?

Like...sorta dead, or all the way dead?

Old July 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

OMFG! That trailer is HOT!

If the game was half as good as the trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to lose some time in it.

Oh, and Sith was OK. All except for Vader crying like a bitch. A big part of the prequels from the get go was that they had to live up to Star Wars as a lot of people knew it as young adults and children. There was only so much that could be done to please the masses. Of course, Master Lucas never bothered to try to make a movie that could even begin to come close to the Original Trilogy until Sith. By that time, it was too little too late. I sometimes wonder if he knew that the Star Wars name would carry the first two movies, so rather than even try, he just made them utter crap so Sith would be remembered as being the "good one"?

Last futzed with by Xoulrath; July 19th, 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Fixed Error...
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Flashmonkey

My theory is that if Lucas had as much money and influence back in the 70's as he did today, that original trilogy would have been an insufferable nightmare. He had to hold back on a lot of his "ideas" due to pressures from the studio and ultimately we got the classics that we know of today.

Flash forward a few decades and give him unrestricted control over this stuff and what happens? Those god awful prequels.

While his influence cannot be ignored, he's not nearly as talented as he thinks he is. He should've relinquished control of those movies to someone who knows who to make movies. There's so much potential for that universe. So many possible movies. Unfortunately, I doubt he'd ever let anyone else control a movie with the Star Wars name on it.

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #16
Flashmonkey

For posterity's sake, here are the other two trailers from a year or so ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ToztqqDcaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOLAN...eature=related

Old July 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #17
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

<rant>

There is a South Park episode about his butchering of the PT, and the boys try to get a refund on their tickets. It is hilarious.

And, while it was Lucas' ideas that made Star Wars, it couldn't have been done without the many people that go along with any movie production. I agree with you, and I agree with that South Park episode. Basically, that once something like Star Wars that is so powerful as to bring people together under a common banner is made public, it really isn't 100% the original creator's anymore.

That isn't to say that it isn't his property, just that his property is as powerful as it is because of the people who love it. To turn his back on them to do a bunch of garbage CGI for 5 year-olds was a slap in the face to casual and hardcore fans alike.

</end rant>

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #18
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
<rant>

There is a South Park episode about his butchering of the PT, and the boys try to get a refund on their tickets. It is hilarious.

And, while it was Lucas' ideas that made Star Wars, it couldn't have been done without the many people that go along with any movie production. I agree with you, and I agree with that South Park episode. Basically, that once something like Star Wars that is so powerful as to bring people together under a common banner is made public, it really isn't 100% the original creator's anymore.

That isn't to say that it isn't his property, just that his property is as powerful as it is because of the people who love it. To turn his back on them to do a bunch of garbage CGI for 5 year-olds was a slap in the face to casual and hardcore fans alike.

</end rant>
jar jar binks...that is all

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #19
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

OK, I watched it on NetFlix last night. It was his re-re-re-release of Empire that pissed the kids off. They started a club to keep creators from going back and screwing up their own work. Then they had a meeting with Lucas and Spielberg, and the boys try to make their point and end up convincing them to remake Raiders. Pretty funny stuff.

Jar Jar Binks is FAR from the only thing wrong with the Phantom Menace. If the movie was good, but Lucas just put him in for comic relief, well, I would still be irritated, but at least he would have made a good movie. Jar Jar was just one colossal screw-up of many in that movie. Midichlorians? WTF? Whiny ass Anakin? I will shut up now.

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #20
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Oh no, please continue. I'm interested. I never knew there were so many things wrong with the prequels. I mean I grew up with 4,5,6, and the prequels came out when I was in Junior High and High School. Empire is easily my favorite. I've always sat on the Star Trek side of the ST vs. SW debate though, so please fill us in.

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #21
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
Oh no, please continue. I'm interested. I never knew there were so many things wrong with the prequels. I mean I grew up with 4,5,6, and the prequels came out when I was in Junior High and High School. Empire is easily my favorite. I've always sat on the Star Trek side of the ST vs. SW debate though, so please fill us in.
Red Letter Media does a pretty thorough job of picking apart the prequels. You can look those up on youtube. Just type in "red letter media star wars review" or something.

Word of warning, though...those reviews are pretty goddamn long. And hilarious.

Personally, I didn't like the prequels because I didn't care about any of the characters. There was nothing to connect to, the dialogue was god-awful, and the lightsaber battles were overly manufactured and seemed more like fancy dancing. Also, I wanted Anakin to die the moment I saw him haha. If he's supposed to be the hero that falls, I figure it would be a good idea for you to get the audience to care about him first.

Old July 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #22
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Red Letter Media does a pretty thorough job of picking apart the prequels. You can look those up on youtube. Just type in "red letter media star wars review" or something.

Word of warning, though...those reviews are pretty goddamn long. And hilarious.

Personally, I didn't like the prequels because I didn't care about any of the characters. There was nothing to connect to...
I disagree, I think it would be pretty easy to connect to Natalie Portman.

I'll check out the reviews

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM   #23
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Watched the reviews...All I can say is, wow. I've always enjoyed Star Wars, but it never really captured my imagination like Star Trek. His reviews are very deep in terms of analysis and are amazing at exposing logical flaws that I never caught. Most importantly though, I find his exposition of disconnects between 456 and 123 quite saddening. He's dead on and keeps it funny as well. sigh. I'm going to watch him massacre Star Trek now.