ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 4th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #1
schneider_11
ninjette.org member

Name: Joćo

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 SE 2009

Slip-on: when to change

Hy guys.
I tried to search these topics but couldn't find anything, sorry if it's allready been posted before.

I want to install the MGP Growler slip-on on my bike, just have 2 quick questions:

1- I only have 1000 miles on my bike. Is it ok to install the slip-on now or sould I put on some more miles ?
2- My bike is the FI model. Does it need any modifications/tuning after the install ? (like the rejet/jet kit on the carb. models ?)

Thanks.
schneider_11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #2
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hi Joćo,

To answer your first question, you can put the slip-on on your bike anytime. Some bikes come from the dealer with a slip-on, so there is no problem putting it on before you are through the break-in period.

Alas I am not sure enough to answer your second question.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #3
schneider_11
ninjette.org member

Name: Joćo

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 SE 2009

Thanks Andrew
schneider_11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #4
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

You should be ok without any modifications if the 250's ecu works identical to a car ecu (not sure, mine's carb'd). If it does work like that, the ecu will take up the slack and even out the air/fuel mixture.
However, you won't get as much, if any, performance gains from it because the ecu is going to adjust itself to as close to the factory perameters as it can. It should be perfectly fine running the bike this way, but for best performance you should look into modding the ecu (if you even can) or read up on adjusting the air/fuel mixture for best performance.

Last ditch effort, take it to a dealership to dyno tune.
tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

All cars have closed-loop FI that work exactly as stated here, many bikes do not and can only run open-loop. I don't know if the FI ninjette has an O2 sensor or related sensors to compensate for changes to the can. It may, but it may not. I do know that folks have put on PowerCommanders to modify the mapping.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #6
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
All cars have closed-loop FI that work exactly as stated here, many bikes do not and can only run open-loop. I don't know if the FI ninjette has an O2 sensor or related sensors to compensate for changes to the can. It may, but it may not. I do know that folks have put on PowerCommanders to modify the mapping.
I "believe" there is a sensor of some kind in the exhaust just before the end of the header pipe, I've seen it on mine, but I can't get a pic of it for at least a couple of days. You can see it if you look in the front fairing and follow the exhaust back. I don't know if this is a temperature thing or an O2 sensor. Do the Carb bikes have this same wire going into the exhaust? If not I'd say its probably the FI sensor.

The FI bikes have an extra light on the dash that lights up when the FI detects an issue so it can definitely sense something. I know Leo Vince do a slip-on and full system for the FI model and they have a fast fuel module. According to this link for their slip-on no fueling adjustments are needed, so I'm guessing that must be an O2 sensor in the stock header pipe.
http://www.superbike.co.uk/products/...ws_266854.html

The power commander and fast fuel module are more about adjusting the powerband and getting rid of flat spots, mostly caused by manufacture tuning to pass emissions tests, a lot of bikes have a flat spot around the point where the emissions are measured. I think for these systems you would need to disconnect and bypass that sensor so that the onboard FI didn't override what the power commander was trying to do
(PC adds more fuel, FI sensor detects a rich condition, FI cuts fuel)

I think you'll be fine with any slip-on.

While my post is made up mostly of guess work, I still hope it helped