Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Post Where are my... keys!

On Thursday, just before leaving work, I began my end of work ritual by changing into my motorcycle gear. Doing so, I noticed my bike keys weren't in their usual place. I searched through my bag and all my pockets but failed to find them. I suddenly had this nightmarish vision that I had left them in my bike for the day. Those keys dangling from the ignition baiting someone to steal it. There would be no way the bike was still there if I had done that, but it didn't stop me bursting out of the shop doors, cursing and sprinting down the street in the direction of my bike. I got a few funny looks: I guess seeing a half dressed biker running down the street with a helmet in one hand, a bag in the other and a look of panic across her face will invoke 'funny looks'. I approached the final corner before the road that my bike was parked on and by which point my mental visualization an empty space where my beautiful Ninjette should be was vivid and felt real. Insurance wouldn't pay out for that kind of negligence. I shaved off some speed and came to a stop on the corner to find...

It was still there! My beautiful, green Ninja was still there! * wipes sweat from forehead *

I walked back to my workplace giving the people in the cafes another chance to gawk at the crazy girl and after some rummaging about (and some more cursing), I found my keys.

I'm normally pretty careful when locking up my bike and leaving it, but now I've had that experience I'll be triple checking. If I loose my bike then that's it. No more riding for a long time.

Have any of you ever left your keys in your bike or had an experience similar to mine?

-Lola Rennt
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #2
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

Boosted139 and I stopped for lunch after a ride. We were getting ready to leave until we realized there was a bike dealer right next door. I started walking toward it and Boosted139 mentioned that I might want to remove my key before someone rode off on my ninja.

WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #3
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I hate losing track of stuff!!

I'm glad no creepers took it

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I'm glad no creepers took it
lol. Damn those creepers! They're everywhere these days!

You seen this music video nick?

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I have walked away with the thing still on once or twice.... Didn't get much farther than 5-10ft though.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post

Creepy...

Yes. I've watched it. Although, I don't think I'm allowed to. My parents let me ride a motorcycle, but not watch "The Creep"

Old October 29th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I've left the key in it once or twice in my driveway, but I don't remember leaving it in when I park it away from home. Usually when I park somewhere, I put the helmet on the hook, so I have to unlock the seat, and it's pretty much impossible for me not to see the key right there in front of my hand when I push the seat back down. When I go to work I take my helmet with me, but I think I'm just lucky that I never forget to take it out then. One thing I do all the time is when I go into my house, I hang my jacket up on the hook in my enclosed porch, with the key still in the jacket pocket. Then when I want to go for a ride, I search high and low for my key, only to find it still in my jacket.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Where are my... keys!

Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #9
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
and a look of panic across her face
I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE A GIRL!!! I mean.... cool story.....
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #10
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post

lol, I think I like your [strange] sense of humour

Old October 30th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #11
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
lol, I think I like your [strange] sense of humour
I think its the squirrel pic that brings out the strange in me. lol. If it makes you feel better, Moldbuster has a picture of what seems like a caveman to me. If he had posted the same, I probably would've posted a cave. Lol.

As for the actual OP, I often find myself leaving my key on my seat. I dont get too far before I turn around. I take it out of the ignition and place it on the seat, then my gloves on top of it, then my helmet on top of them, so I can unzip my jacket and get comfortable. I like to grab everything but my key, so Im making it a habit to check twice or to place my key in my pocket before anything.

I used to be like "Wtf, why do these idiots leave their key? They wouldnt do that in a car, so why on a bike?" pre-ninjette. But after I picked up my bike, I find myself being the idiot I talked about. (No offense to anyone lol.).
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #12
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

The first time I rode my bike to campus, I left the keys in the ignition. Everything thought I was kinda crazy when I yelled "oh ****!" and burst out the door.

Other than that, I believe I left my keys in my 74 CB550 in a park-and-ride. No one stole the bike, but I'm pretty sure someone tried to. It was sitting there because it didn't run and that's where I parked my Jeep, which I needed to get home quickly (the jeep), so I had the bike towed from the dealer to there. I had planned on coming back for it later in the day because I thought I had the solution to make it work. But it didn't happen.
I'm sure the would-be thief was like "who the hell parks a broken bike here with the keys still in it?
Needless to say, the keys were missing. But that's just my speculation.

Old October 30th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #13
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I've totally done this. Went a whole day at work once, and another time during a haircut left 'em in for about an hour (in a dodgy neighborhood I might add). Bike still there both times, but made me feel like a senile old man to forget.

I think it happens when my normal routine is broken, and I have a ton of stuff to arrange when I get off the bike. Gloves go here, tank bag here, pull off my oversuit, helmet off, gloves in helmet, oversuit over shoulder . . .

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; October 30th, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #14
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

At my old apartment I think this happened more than once. I would put my key in the side to unlock the seat for the tool bag, then work on the bike on the other side of it from the key. After getting done, put the tools back, put the seat back, walk away forgetting the keys were still in the side of the bike. I would remember later and go out to get them of course. Only once when I was at work did I forget my key in the ignition. But luckily where I work the parking lot is a bit private, the motorcycle area is secluded (small area next to building behind a dumpster lol) and they have security cameras around.

I can't help it, but you made me think of this:

Link to original page on YouTube.

sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #15
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
I'm not having very good luck. Last night while I was asleep someone stole my mountain bike from right outside my house. It was an expensive bike: hydraulic disks, marzocchi forks and lots of custom components

Old October 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #16
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
walk away forgetting the keys were still in the side of the bike.
I have torn my house and garage apart, searching for my keys because I did this. I have come out from a store/mall/eats and rummaged through each pocket multiple times while in the parking lot because of this. The key might be there right now

Old October 30th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Last night while I was asleep someone stole my mountain bike from right outside my house.
Thieves suck!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #18
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Thieves suck!
Yeah they do. My blood starts boiling whenever I think about the bastard who stole it. I was actually asking around town last week to see if any of the bike shops were interested in buying it from me: I need the money. Makes me angry that I worked to buy that bike and someone else has come along and taken it from me when I need it.

* sigh *

Old October 30th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #19
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Bike theft is often covered by your homeowner's insurance policy. Worth a call to the agent if the bike is worth more than the deductible, which it sounds like it would be.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #20
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
I don't have home insurance at the moment. I don't have that many possessions worth insuring - it would probably end up costing me more in the long run. My Ninjette is the one big exception, but I do have theft insurance for that. I think I probably should have had my mountain bike insured just by itself and maybe my computer; not the whole house. Live and learn.

Old October 30th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #21
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I'm sorry...sounded like a really nice bike.

Old October 31st, 2011, 02:21 PM   #22
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

when the bike is in my garage i leave the key in the ignition. you cant get new keys cut without the duplicate so im not willing to have to put in a new ignition so i figure if somebody is gonna be willing to break in to my garage and steal my bike its really not going to matter whether or not the keys are there their gonna take it regardless. when i go places i have only left my keys once because i was in a hurry and forgot.

Old October 31st, 2011, 02:32 PM   #23
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGjackafidy View Post
when the bike is in my garage i leave the key in the ignition. you cant get new keys cut without the duplicate so im not willing to have to put in a new ignition so i figure if somebody is gonna be willing to break in to my garage and steal my bike its really not going to matter whether or not the keys are there their gonna take it regardless. when i go places i have only left my keys once because i was in a hurry and forgot.
Make sure your insurance company will still pay out even if the bike is stolen with keys in the ignition. I'm pretty sure some companies wouldn't pay at in that scenario (in the UK at least).

Old October 31st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #24
423yjl
forever a newb

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250

I have left my keys in my ninjette for 2 or 3 days, and I live in a condo. So no garage and alot of people could have walked by. Wow, I felt lucky nothing happened.

Sorry to hear about your bike.
423yjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 03:04 PM   #25
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Buy a Xena disc lock as extra insurance for these type of forgetful moments. Of course, before you ride your bike, don't forget to take off that disc lock. A reminder cable is also good for this.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 03:06 PM   #26
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Buy a Xena disc lock as extra insurance for these type of forgetful moments. Of course, before you ride your bike, don't forget to take off that disc lock. A reminder cable is also good for this.
I have one and it's great! It's an alarmed one. I'm not sure how that would help me remember my keys though?

Old October 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM   #27
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

It doesn't. It just means it won't be a simple of case of someone finding your bike with the key in the ignition, starting it up and riding away. They have to deal with the audible alarm as well.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 03:25 PM   #28
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I've done the same thing before realizing that I had locked my key.....under the seat cowl. 45 minutes later the rear was disassembled enough to recover my key

And this was done without breaking anything much to my surprise!
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 04:09 PM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
I've done the same thing before realizing that I had locked my key.....under the seat cowl. 45 minutes later the rear was disassembled enough to recover my key
Funny. On an R6 I owned, I didn't have the key on a keychain, so it was a loose single key. I dropped it into the tail section as well, and it found its way all the way down the crevices of the bike to underneath the seat (not a normal storage area). I was riding with a guy who owned a Yamaha dealership though, so it only took him a few moments to get to the right area and retrieve the key. I was afraid we'd have to turn the bike upside down and shake it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
When I first got my bike I constantly left my keys in the ignition. I felt so dumb Now I have a habitual system of locking my steering wheel and pocketing my key before I do anything else. Problem solved
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 05:47 PM   #31
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Quote:
Funny. On an R6 I owned, I didn't have the key on a keychain, so it was a loose single key. I dropped it into the tail section as well, and it found its way all the way down the crevices of the bike to underneath the seat (not a normal storage area). I was riding with a guy who owned a Yamaha dealership though, so it only took him a few moments to get to the right area and retrieve the key. I was afraid we'd have to turn the bike upside down and shake it.

LOL, done that too, . I now make a conscious effort to keep small things away, far away, from an open tail section. The tail on the RC is cavernous and I have lost many a nuts, crimps, keys, insurance cards, small children, etc. It's always off with the tail so that they don't cook on the rear cylinder/exhaust.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 05:49 PM   #32
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Small children

Old October 31st, 2011, 06:02 PM   #33
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:

!!

That's hilarious Akima!

Yes I lost my one Kawasaki key the first week I had my bike. Scared the heck out of me! So I went to a locksmith to make me a copy. Now I carry the copy, and keep the original at home. That way, if I do lose it, I can still start the bike. Plus, my original doesn't wear down and will be good to make copies from if need be
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 12:55 AM   #34
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I was afraid we'd have to turn the bike upside down and shake it.
LOL, so these are the kind of things a skilled mechanic thinks of when faced with a problem

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:06 AM   #35
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Ive left my keys in my bike over night before. Always really scary and stupid

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:56 AM   #36
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post

I keep clicking and nothing is happening!

Old November 1st, 2011, 10:46 AM   #37
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

maybe a good reason to always turn your bike off with your key instead of your kill switch just so you remember to take it out every time (Just in case)
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM   #38
Meltoff
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Blue)

I once left my keys sitting on my seat in the public parking lot while I was at work. I always put them in my jacket pocket first thing after getting off the bike, an ever since I left them out I occasionally feel sudden dread I have done it again and immediately check my jacket pocket. It's such a strong impulse I cannot think of anything else until I have made sure they are secure.
Meltoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM   #39
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Glad to hear none of you key-negligent folk have had your bikes stolen.

Old November 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM   #40
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

I did it at home depot like 4 hours ago.... I didn't realize iI didn't have my keys until I came back outside and saw the key still in the ignition. haha oops....
jdoucet93 is offline   Reply With Quote