ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 16th, 2020, 02:49 PM   #1
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Thinking of lowering front and rear.

So, as title states, I'm thinking about dropping the bike down lower. Not for any height issues. I just want a low bike. A "tiny 250".

Obviously they have dogbones for the rear. That part is simple.

My question is for the front. Running by yall, for additional input.

1. My aftermarket handlebars are not typical " clip ons". They mount in stock bolting holes as stock. Yet they allow fork tubes to be raised/lowered. The issue/main concern: optimal geometry can be matched with lowered rear. But i now would have less fork travel/ bottom out issues, if tubes were raised higher through the tubes. I am under the impression, i can offset this with stiffer spring, and/or oil viscosity.

Going to say short answer is " yes" its do-able, but I have some math to factor in, between distance lowered in front, my weight, and spring rates. And all of that will change, depending on the desired height change.

Not forgetting to take into account for the kickstand height, and possible hard parts that may touch down, when cornering.

Any additional thoughts/input to concider? ( with all geometry the same, just lower)

As for kickstand, some additional info. Prior owner dropped it. Kickstand is bent, and the bike leans WAY over. ( i feel like its going to drop, even though I know i put the stand down. I figure lowering, will offset that crazy kickstand lean angle. ( but i may have to keep an eye on it, if lowered, on cornering clearance.)

Last futzed with by GAU-8; December 16th, 2020 at 09:17 PM.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2020, 03:29 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Sounds good... RaceTech's front spring-rate calculator has an option for "lowered front-end" bikes. Run it through twice, once for unlowered and again for lowered front-end and see what differences in spring-rate it calculates.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2020, 04:50 PM   #3
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Im guessing, if I am going to do this, might as well look at adding in the fork valve emulators.(?) With THAT being said..should I also think about a rear shock upgrade/ replacement, soon after, or during, to compliment, and enhance the front.?

Not necessarily looking at high end aftermarket. Maybe just a new shock swap, from another bike.

Experiences/frustrations..overkill?

Overyly thinking edit. If i upgrade/swap rear shock, will it negate being able to lower the rear? Or is lets say latest model 250/ 300/400 shock plug and play, keeping lowered dogbone support?

Old December 16th, 2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
What's your goal in lowering the motorcycle?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2020, 08:58 PM   #5
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
What's your goal in lowering the motorcycle?
Just to have a tiny bike appearance.

Old December 17th, 2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
Just to have a tiny bike appearance.
My pregen 250 handles so well that I'd hate to compromise that or limit its ground clearance. My daughter already has the peg feelers ground down with stock height suspension. I expect the compromises would apply to the later models as well.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2020, 08:52 AM   #7
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
IMHO compromising performance capability for appearance ill advised. But fully respect its up to owners discretion.

Also think of reselling at some certain point, may create "difficulty".

If lowering to the point of affecting appearance, we are not talking conservative lowering...gotta be extreme to achieve.

The custom crowd calls it "slam and stretch" no? In this case, the slam without the stretch, I guess.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 17th, 2020, 12:27 PM   #8
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Not for show "slam"... just lower. ( i also have a daughter, that is showing some interest, and partially some of the reason.) While I consider myself agressive in turns, maybe I guess not so much. (?) Ive never dragged a peg on the 250. I may have come close(?) But never had that goal to "skkkrrrrt" the pavement with feelers. 90 to 95% of ride time on the Ninjette is commuting..most turns are intersection/90° turns. And what curves I do get to, are so long, and wide, the speed to hit feelers, would be way above what the ninja can do. ( i'd love to do some real carving, unfortunately, i don't have the time to get out that far. :/ , if I do, it would be on the 1000.)

As for reselling, I'd never do that, unless it's wrecked. I'd sell my 08 gsxr WAY before I ever sell my last, and favorite model ninjette.

Last futzed with by GAU-8; December 17th, 2020 at 02:11 PM.

Old December 27th, 2020, 02:17 PM   #9
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Readers Digest: Decided that I'm not going to lower it.

Longer answer:

I have a couple of gopro clone cameras, and figured I'd do a visual test. Mounted both near the footpegs, and while I haven't scrapped a peg, my natural riding style gets really close, during commuting.. Meaning if I spent the money for lowering, and suspension, I would also have to invest in some higher mounted rearset pegs, so they don't hit tarmac/ auger me into the pavement.Too much money spent over-all to justify a look.

Going to get suspension upgrades alone. Much cheaper in long run, and improvement for ride quality. Thumbsup.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.