ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which type of engine do you prefer?
Carbureted 4 16.67%
Fuel Injected 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #41
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I can pull up at least 10x threads here where someone needs their carbs rebuilt having owned the bike less than 2-yrs. Just the fact that the product exists indicates a need. In the past 30-yrs, I've bought carb-rebuild kits for the following bikes I've owned:

- VF500F
- VF750F
- VFR750
- RZ350
- CB125T
- EX250F
- EX500
- GPZ250
- CB600F
- CBR600
- CR250
- RM125
- VF500F again!@#%$

Never had to do the same for anything with EFI. In fact, have we ever seen an "EFI ECU rebuild-kit"?
I've been riding for 50 plus years, gone through 9 motorcycles and never purchased a rebuild kit for any bike. Just lucky I guess. I wonder if that fact that I always purchase premium fuel has anything to do with it? Dunno.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #42
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
If you are that,worried about ethanol, then add some Sta-Bil Marine 360 to your tank.

We all know that ethanol is the spunk of Satan, and it's an evil plot by the Illuminati, just like fluoride in the public water, putting nitrogen in your tires

WITCHCRAFT I SAY WITCHCRAFT!!!!!!!

I couldn't keep it together sorry carry on

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #43
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

Why do you think I'm following this thread so closely?! (username checks out)

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 05:40 AM   #44
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonik View Post
Just because "that's the way old guys did it" is not the way to keep thinking with any sort of technology, especially carbs. It's antiquated and needs to go away.

I couldn't wait to get away from carbs on my bikes and with 10% ethanol appearing everywhere in fuel, I can't stay away from them enough anymore because of what it does to the jets when they sit, for even two weeks without being run.

Not only are carbs a pain in the ass to keep in tune after engine temp and climate changes, there are such better performing answers out there, it's silly. Just look at how much more reliable the Ninja 300 is at starting than the 250.
Wow, giving no love or respect for the older "classic", antique and veteran bikes? "Need to go away"?

A bit harsh....would you legislate a Vincent Black Shadow, a Honda 750 K0, a Z1 , a GS1000S, a Ducati Desmo 750SS into the crusher?

Effects of ethanol need to be anticipated and countered, being proactive and intelligent in treatment, use and storage techniques is desirable for us cavemen.

I'd submit your particular 250 with starting difficulties was quite capable of starting at the touch of the button...with proper attention.

Carbs have been around a hundred years...here's to another 100.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 05:57 AM   #45
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

Well, where I was going was that fleet turnaround is far too slow the way it is now. We let vehicles taper off and plate fees drop to nothing, then they just linger forever. If we raise those registration fees after a certain point, say 14 years, to standard fees, then we get people who can properly afford to maintain them at that age, or they will be sitting in wrecking yards out of service, not polluting. This just isn't bikes, it's cars too. It's sad but a reality. When citizens can't police themselves, the government has to. See speed limits or stop signs because some folks can't be cool on the roads... nutrition labels because some folks can't figure out how to not stuff the frontal face hole with junk... so we should also tightly police the fleet turnover, much more than we do now, because people can't on their own. Agreed, my own project bike was a mess of carbs, and every time I touch carbs I squint and wish I didn't.

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.

Old July 13th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #46
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
Wow, giving no love or respect for the older "classic", antique and veteran bikes? "Need to go away"?

A bit harsh....would you legislate a Vincent Black Shadow, a Honda 750 K0, a Z1 , a GS1000S, a Ducati Desmo 750SS into the crusher?

Effects of ethanol need to be anticipated and countered, being proactive and intelligent in treatment, use and storage techniques is desirable for us cavemen.

I'd submit your particular 250 with starting difficulties was quite capable of starting at the touch of the button...with proper attention.

Carbs have been around a hundred years...here's to another 100.
Gordon, you are a breath of fresh air. Thank you. If that Desmo's in a dumpster somewhere - tell me where.

Bill

Old July 13th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #47
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonik View Post
Well, where I was going was that fleet turnaround is far too slow the way it is now. We let vehicles taper off and plate fees drop to nothing, then they just linger forever. If we raise those registration fees after a certain point, say 14 years, to standard fees, then we get people who can properly afford to maintain them at that age, or they will be sitting in wrecking yards out of service, not polluting. This just isn't bikes, it's cars too. It's sad but a reality. When citizens can't police themselves, the government has to. See speed limits or stop signs because some folks can't be cool on the roads... nutrition labels because some folks can't figure out how to not stuff the frontal face hole with junk... so we should also tightly police the fleet turnover, much more than we do now, because people can't on their own. Agreed, my own project bike was a mess of carbs, and every time I touch carbs I squint and wish I didn't.
Hey Demonik, Ben Franklin said something like "Those that would give up personal freedom for a-little temporary safety deserve neither freedon nor safety." Government my ass. Move your tail feathers to Great Briton.

Bill

Last futzed with by Ram Jet; July 14th, 2017 at 06:30 AM.

Old July 13th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #48
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

RamJet, I find your psuedo-Americana comment/quote from Ben Franklin to be irrelevant and unattached to my post. Please clarify, sir.

Are you suggesting that people who have lost self control and can't order properly at McDonalds, thus weighing 600lbs require special American freedoms I do not have as a Marine and patriot because I can control my urge to feed and stay healthy?

Sir, are speeders who text and drive and threaten me on my motorcycle and also believe they are "operating safely" not in need of the special legislation that was just passed here in Seattle? Please let me know. Thank you.

Back on topic a little bit: Also consider this from a PhD in engineering. Again, I don't think that we should eliminate carbs, perhaps they need special licensing for operators who understand how to use them. They are equipment from a bygone era now that is harmful to our future and without training, they shouldn't just be on the road. Taxed, just like fast food should be or taxed just like the fines and fees for people who text and drive near my motorcycle or cars.

Here's what the PhD has to say as far as rollout on new laws and equipment and why we should think progressive now, not just be old men/women.

With the climate change conference in Paris, there is a lot of excitement around carbon reduction.

The urgency, I usually answer, is due to lead time. While it is not a secret, it is not widely understood how long it takes for new regulations to get rolled out. So here is the question I have for you:

If we passed a law today that mandated all new vehicles meet some requirement, how long would it take for 50% of the vehicles on the road to comply with the new standard?

What would your answer be? Ok, remember that number. Now let’s walk through the answer using a specific example.

Let’s say that today there is a law passed that mandates that all new vehicles need to use a 48V auxiliary battery system instead of our existing 12V auxiliary battery system (I’m not lobbying for this, just using it as an example). Today we made the following decree:

By official decree, all new light-duty road vehicles must utilize a 48V system for their auxiliaries.

Boom. Done. Now let’s wait for the roll-out.

At this point it is important to note that we have assumed a) the industry has already developed all the necessary standards (SAE) to understand 48V system requirements and test procedures, b) that the supply chain has technology that is far enough along in its development, and that c) all the natural regulatory process is done. This is a really big assumption but like any good cooking show, let’s magically fast-forward to pulling the fully cooked meal out of the oven. The law passed today.

For timing, we should consider three milestones:

First model in the showroom
All models in the showroom
50% of all vehicles on the road
1. How long until the first vehicles in the showroom comply with the new regulation? (Design Time)

In our consulting division at FleetCarma, the work we are doing is for MY2019 vehicles. And that work is almost done. Design work completes 2+ years in advance of vehicles hitting showrooms. The balance of the time is focused on manufacturing/supply chain preparations.

So with a law passed at the end of 2015, the first vehicles complying will arrive by MY2020, landing in 2019. And that is one model in the showroom.

2. How long until all the vehicles in the showroom comply with the new regulation? (Model Turnover)

Manufacturers launch a few all-new models every year. For example, perhaps in one year the Camry, RAV4, and Tacoma are all-new designs. The next year is the all-new Corolla and Prius. And so on.

Generally a manufacturer will turn-over all their models in a 5-6 year window. So our first 48V model showed up in MY2020, and will take until MY2025/MY2026 for all the vehicles in the showroom to meet the new regulation.

3. How long until 50% of all vehicles in the market comply with the new regulation? (Fleet Turnover)

Ok, so if one or two models have 48V in the MY2020 design and all models have 48V systems by MY2026, how long will it take until 50% of all the vehicles on the road have 48V comply with our new law? The average age of passenger vehicles in the US is 11.4 years, so the average car on the road right now is a MY2004/MY2005.

Assuming fleet turnover rates continue to stay the same, it means that we would certainly hit the 50% point by MY2037 (11 years after all vehicles in the showroom have 48V systems). But it would be a bit before that since some vehicles with 48V systems would have been sold in the MY2020-MY2026 time window. Let’s split the difference and call it MY2034 then.

(transportation nerds: yes, you are right, average VMT is higher for newer vehicles. Good point. But the question was 50% of vehicles complying instead of 50% of miles traveled. You can assume 50%-VMT point would be a year or two earlier.)

Anyway, what this means is that the law we passed today, in December 2015, resulted in half of the vehicles on the road complying with that law in December 2033.

18 years.
For half of the vehicles on the road to comply with the new law.

Vehicle regulation timeline

What This Means

We can draw three conclusions from this:

Where possible, a retrofit option is appealing. It wouldn’t work for 48V systems, but it could work for other improvements being considered. Relying exclusively on OEM-integrated solutions results in a really long lead time.
Accelerating fleet turn-over matters. Programs like cash-for-clunkers can play a key role in moving people into new/better vehicles. Outside of putting cash on the hood, simply offering a much better vehicle can accelerate turn-over. If new vehicles were autonomous would you be more likely to buy a new car faster?
We need to act now. Because once we act it will take 18 years to see the impact on half of the vehicles.
So, if you’re in Paris right now, and you’re thinking about vehicle emissions – think about the year you want half the vehicles to have a certain technology. Subtract 18. That is the year you need to have the law passed by.

In the context of my daughter, if you want half the cars to meet some new standard by the time she graduates university, you have just over 18 months to pass that law. She turned 1 last week.

Old July 13th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #49
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg teal_deer.jpeg (2.5 KB, 23 views)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #50
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
hmmm, thought i logged in to a motorcycle forum today...not some sort of an environmentalist movement forum.

Old July 13th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #51
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

I laughed inappropriately loud at this.

Old July 13th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #52
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

I found this for all you guys who are having problems with carbs...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ure-poop-carbs

Old July 13th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #53
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
i'd suggest www.customcarbservices.com as being more apt to offer a solution

Old July 13th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #54
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Agreed... I think the link I found was for those hippy carbs. #offtopic