ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Critique My Track Session

Can you all critique my last session at NCBike?

In Novice, but trying to work my way out. Just looking for good criticism on throttle timing, lines, turn-ins, etc. Just good, overall coaching.

Thanks!

I get towed for the first couple laps when I was able to get a CR to myself, then he cuts me loose.

Using GoPro Studio, I found that my laps are sitting around 1:50.

https://youtu.be/EyKDnNK8LV4
Speedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:25 AM   #2
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Try not to stand the bike up so quick coming out of corners, gradually stand up while accelerating out of the corner, if you stand up too quick, you lose drive as the RPMs fall because of the diameter of the tire. Next, use the whole track, this will get you comfortable with where it edge of the track is, then you can start adding speed through the corners when you know where the edge is.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:45 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Cool!

My first response to these kind of request are now the same. When you leave the track and want a 2nd opinion on things, first ask yourself if the day falls in the success column? Did you have fun? Did you laugh with other riders, did you leave some rubber and distilled dinosaur at the track? Is your bike shiny and you are healthy? If so, the day was a success and if you only made a bit of progress, it is worthy of celebration! After that question has been answered, then change your outlook to how can I bet safer and better next time. And yes... I do understand that early career track riders may not know what questions to ask.

As far as your critique goes, imho... you still have some throttle control and line selection issues to work on. Was this your first time at this track? Looks like you need some markers. Remember, the #1 cause of throttle control issues is a "bad line." Your throttle control wasn't too bad, just lethargic and too slow of a roll on to move the weight to the rear and fully stabilize the bike. Your #1 job as the rider is to keep the bike stable! If you say the throttle control rule 1000 times, then say "my job is to keep the bike stable" 999 times. I can tell this because when your throttle roll is solid you don't make as many mid-corner steering corrections. Remember how it felt when the bike was stable on its line? If the cr isn't there to catch a tow from, do you know how to judge if your line is good or nah?

imho, once you have some markers (turn point, apex, exit) then you will feel much better about your day.

ps - That really, really long left hander... you will need about 3-5 mid-corner markers to apex at the meatball sign.

Otherwise, looks like your progressing just fine.

Last futzed with by csmith12; July 4th, 2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

That is a great way of putting it, and I am thankful for both of y'all's advice. I will work on keeping my bike where it it wants to be rather than "forcing it up".

As for the throttle control, I can hear and see what you mean. I am trying to get my lines, and I scrutinize the map prior to each session, but the turns become so much longer in real life. So I find my turn ins to be somewhat inconsistent. I also don't believe I am using enough of the track, and I imagine this to be in part due to my slow speed. I will simply need to be more intentional about it.

I will be back at NCBike at the end of the month. I simply CANNOT STAND that there is so little I can do between the track days!

Old July 7th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #5
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Why don't you start by describing what good throttle control is? Sure it can depend on your line but what is the goal of good throttle? What does good throttle control do for your bike and how do you achieve it?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Is this directed toward me?

I'd like to think PERFECT throttle control (and timing) would mean once you. Crack the throttle in a turn, you're able to simply go until it's fully open again. Realistically, I know there are micro adjustments, but I find myself backing off throttle or increasing it during my turn.

There are no excuses, but I do attribute some of it to Trying to trail brake. Initially, I just shifted and braked until I have the speed I like, but theory says I'm losing time that way. So I did have trouble getting a hang of that, and clearly I've far from mastered it.

Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:45 PM   #7
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post
Is this directed toward me?

I'd like to think PERFECT throttle control (and timing) would mean once you. Crack the throttle in a turn, you're able to simply go until it's fully open again. Realistically, I know there are micro adjustments, but I find myself backing off throttle or increasing it during my turn.

There are no excuses, but I do attribute some of it to Trying to trail brake. Initially, I just shifted and braked until I have the speed I like, but theory says I'm losing time that way. So I did have trouble getting a hang of that, and clearly I've far from mastered it.
Well, once you crack on the throttle you want to roll it on smoothly, evenly and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn. Whether you get to full throttle or not will depend on the turn and circumstance.

As CSMITH12 said, your goal as the rider is to stabilized the bike with good throttle control. That means rolling on the throttle enough so that you transfer weight to the rear tire to set the suspension in the correct range. If you are holding the throttle steady or not rolling on enough then you won't get that weight transfer and the bike won't be as stable as possible. If you are finding yourself rolling on and off the gas mid corner then perhaps your entry speed was too quick or something is off with your line.

You certainly want to enter the corner with a comfortable entry speed, a speed that allows you to get back on the gas ASAP. Good throttle control is one of the most important fundamental skills to master.

Now, I say get back on the gas as soon as possible but one of the most common throttle control errors we see is riders adding lean angle and throttle at the same time. So what do you have to ensure is complete BEFORE you begin rolling on the gas?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote