ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old April 17th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #81
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Just don't drink! You will be healthier, happier, and never have to worry about a DUI arrest. Besides, you'll always be able to ride if you never drink.

Old June 28th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #82
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Suggestions on a good apple or cherry brandy.

Currently I am sipping on some Paul Masson VS brandy. Retry smooth. I would like something a bit different and just great flavor. Any suggestions?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #83
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Its not brandy but crown royal apple and coke is good
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2017, 06:17 AM   #84
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Its not brandy but crown royal apple and coke is good
I don't drink any soft drinks anymore. Makes it difficult for me. lol

Old July 13th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #85
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

IT'S BACK! I just had some scotch in the first time in YEARS! Just straight scotch (maybe 1/2 a shot).

I still prefer brandy to scotch, but nice to know I have options!

Last futzed with by Apex; July 15th, 2017 at 07:42 AM.

Old August 13th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #86
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

So, testing here and there has yielded some results. Found some that I like and some I'll give away to others to try.

- Paul Masson VSOP brandy (xo isn't bad either) - smooth and cheap. A great little brandy. Considering a 1.75L bottle is sub-$20, you can't beat it
- New Amsterdam vodka - smooth enough to sip solo, or mix
- Johnnie Walker Black - to me, just absolutely amazing flavor. Smooth and easy. A solid sipper.
- Makers Mark bourbon - this stuff is amazing. The flavor is good, as is the finish. A solid all around bourbon
- Blue Sapphire Gin - haven't tasted solo, but gin is a picky thing. Only really high quality ones are worth going solo on, but mixed, it is quite excellent
- Jim Bean Devils Cut - that wood flavor is way too much. Kills it. The taste kind of reminds me of what playdoh smells like
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon - if you like spice, this one works for you. A bit too spicy of a finish for my palate
- Monkey Shoulder scotch - a rather mellow scotch, but black label blows it away. I'd rather spend the bit extra and get something solid
- Jameson Irish whiskey - not bad, but it doesn't quite suit my palate. The finish ruins it for me. If memory serves, it is a bit chocolate in flavor. Not my cup of tea. I may have to sample something a bit higher in quality before I judge the brand. But, $90 for a 750mL bottle of Jameson Gold seems rather steep to me.
- Sheelin Irish cream - blows Baileys out of the water. Excellent for a sipping drink or in coffee.
- Glenlivet 12 - This brand is pretty much a standard for scotch. Fruity and pretty good. I honestly think I prefer the JW Black to this one, but don't let it throw you, this is a top scotch

I enjoy trying new things, so I sample friend/family collections and recommendations. If I can find a sample, I go that route. I don't drink that often, so I'm trying to really figure out what I like, and stock solid choices for when I do fancy a sip. If I have bottles of stuff around that is kind of meh, I save that for parties (sometimes take to one and "accidentally" leave it there )

I have a German cherry brandy on hand that I took a single sip of and poured down the drain. It was THAT bad. My step-dad recommended Leroux Blackberry Brandy. No samples available. Got a 750mL bottle and I'm going to gift it to him. I tried a few sips and it wasn't for me.

Old August 17th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #87
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

So I hit up a local store because a friend requested some rum for an upcoming game night we host once or twice a year. A bunch of friends come over and we just have fun playing games.

So I saw a sale on this bourbon, and grabbed it not knowing anything about it. Here is what I've noticed after a little sample:

Bulleit Bourbon - totally impressed with this one. The nose is somewhat smokey (though reviews state several other flavors in there, my nose picked up on the smoke). A slow fade on the finish, and that finish hangs around. Maybe because it is a bit oily...it stays with you and that is not a bad thing. It fades after about 30 seconds. I was shocked how good it was for a $19 bourbon. This is staying in the bar for future use.

Old August 17th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #88
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Guinness Stout
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Guinness is a good choice. I like a lot of beers- Newcastle, Guinness, any of the stouts or porters. See if you can get a tasting of a few beers. Many microbreweries do these and it's a great way to taste several without getting too hammered.
Good call! I can now officially say that I really like beer.

On my 21st my dad insisted on buying me a beer. I told him I was fine and that he didn't have to, so he went to the gas station and bought me a Natty Ice after asking the guy there "Is this still the nastiest stuff there is?" Gee. Thanks, Dad. I didn't plan on drinking it but I worked up enough of a sweat that a cold beer, even a terrible one, sounded good. I drank half of it and poured it out. Ick.

On getting a tasting, I'm in the wine part of California, so I'll probably do that first and foremost. I'm freaky for a glass of smooshed grapes.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #89
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Oh, yeah, Bulleit bourbon is good. I like the rye one.

Beer is a very subjective thing. Some you'll like, some not so much.

You'll have to report back about what wines you like.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #90
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
What?@! Paul Mason's making wine again? I grew up just a couple miles downhill from the winery and all they did there was have concerts and wedding. The Orson Welles commercials were classic!

At the moment, I really enjoy Clase Azul Reposado tequila. Gonna switch to vodka when winter arrives!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #91
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Had a bottle of Barbican (non alcoholic) malt flavour drink the other day and a friend of mine told me that is how beer taste like. I guess i am one of those that does not like it so much. Even if it is an imitation of a beer.

Old August 18th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #92
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
So, testing here and there has yielded some results. Found some that I like and some I'll give away to others to try.

- Paul Masson VSOP brandy (xo isn't bad either) - smooth and cheap. A great little brandy. Considering a 1.75L bottle is sub-$20, you can't beat it
- New Amsterdam vodka - smooth enough to sip solo, or mix
- Johnnie Walker Black - to me, just absolutely amazing flavor. Smooth and easy. A solid sipper.
- Makers Mark bourbon - this stuff is amazing. The flavor is good, as is the finish. A solid all around bourbon
- Blue Sapphire Gin - haven't tasted solo, but gin is a picky thing. Only really high quality ones are worth going solo on, but mixed, it is quite excellent
- Jim Bean Devils Cut - that wood flavor is way too much. Kills it. The taste kind of reminds me of what playdoh smells like
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon - if you like spice, this one works for you. A bit too spicy of a finish for my palate
- Monkey Shoulder scotch - a rather mellow scotch, but black label blows it away. I'd rather spend the bit extra and get something solid
- Jameson Irish whiskey - not bad, but it doesn't quite suit my palate. The finish ruins it for me. If memory serves, it is a bit chocolate in flavor. Not my cup of tea. I may have to sample something a bit higher in quality before I judge the brand. But, $90 for a 750mL bottle of Jameson Gold seems rather steep to me.
- Sheelin Irish cream - blows Baileys out of the water. Excellent for a sipping drink or in coffee.
- Glenlivet 12 - This brand is pretty much a standard for scotch. Fruity and pretty good. I honestly think I prefer the JW Black to this one, but don't let it throw you, this is a top scotch

I enjoy trying new things, so I sample friend/family collections and recommendations. If I can find a sample, I go that route. I don't drink that often, so I'm trying to really figure out what I like, and stock solid choices for when I do fancy a sip. If I have bottles of stuff around that is kind of meh, I save that for parties (sometimes take to one and "accidentally" leave it there )

I have a German cherry brandy on hand that I took a single sip of and poured down the drain. It was THAT bad. My step-dad recommended Leroux Blackberry Brandy. No samples available. Got a 750mL bottle and I'm going to gift it to him. I tried a few sips and it wasn't for me.
Try some Four Roses Small Batch
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 18th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #93
CaliGrrl

No worries, I've got several friends who don't much like booze.

Old August 18th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #94
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
Had a bottle of Barbican (non alcoholic) malt flavour drink the other day and a friend of mine told me that is how beer taste like. I guess i am one of those that does not like it so much. Even if it is an imitation of a beer.
No worries there. Back when my wife and I were dating, I caught her pinching her nose while drinking a rum and coke. So I asked her what she was doing. She told me she didn't like the taste. I replied, "So why do you drink then?"

After that she hasn't had a drink. LOL

Old August 18th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #95
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Oh, yeah, Bulleit bourbon is good. I like the rye one.

You'll have to report back about what wines you like.
Was the wine question statement directed to me? Hard to tell, the thread got busy all of a sudden.

Oh, and Guinness is my beer. Even visited the brewery in Dublin.

Old August 19th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #96
CaliGrrl

Someone commented they live in wine country.

Guinness, yep, good stuff there. I'd love to tour the brewery! Just one more reason I need to visit Ireland.

Old August 19th, 2017, 06:53 AM   #97
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
Some non-alcoholic beers taste better than others, and a few may taste somewhat like a bad beer, but I've never had one that tasted much like a good beer.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #98
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I've been hearing good things about Target's brand of $5.00 wine, California Roots. I tried it and it tasted like someone had vodka, watered it down to what is technically wine, and dyed it to look like white wine. I would not recommend it. Maybe the red wines are better but I'm not going to try them. If all you wanted was to get sloshy for five bucks, drinking a whole bottle of that would be an okay option. I poured it out instead of giving it to someone because if someone willingly drinks that, they're probably a desperate alcoholic and I'd prefer to not enable them.

I've also been recommended Fat Tire. It's a damn good beer.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #99
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I've always like Fat Tyre! The Firestone non-alcoholic beer is pretty good! Our Cycling Team @
UCSB was sponsored by them!

Yeah don't buy booze from Target. I've had great results with Costco, Grocery Outlet and Trader Joe's. Total Wine is pretty good too!

Old September 25th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #100
CaliGrrl

All CostCo's products are made by others and rebranded. Most are brand name something (my friend thinks the Kirkland whiskey is Jack Daniel's) and are usually pretty good.

BevMo usually has pretty good prices and darn near anything you could want.

I don't know that I'd trust Target brand booze. Box wines aren't necessarily bad, and are actually pretty good if you don't plan to drink it all in one sitting. You can reclose it and since it's a bag inside the box, it doesn't oxidize the way a bottle would.

Fat Tire is good beer for sure. I've also started drinking one from Lagunitas brewery: Sour Wench. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's often have good beers.

Old September 25th, 2017, 09:19 AM   #101
DannoXYZ

Yeah, and Costco vodka is ... Grey Goose for 1/2 price! Some independent reviewers feel it's better than Grey Goose. I switched to that from my previous Stoli pick after Russian mob took control and messed up formulae.

Old September 25th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #102
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I've never tried fat Tyre because my dad and grandfather said it was disgusting and they have good taste in beer.
Beer tastes way better out of a bottle than a can, you can taste the difference. I do like dos Equis or tecate original. I went to a brewery/sandwich place down the street and the beer the guy gave me was amazing. I can't remember what it was but im definitely going back to find out.
NaturalFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #103
DannoXYZ

Chocolate vs. vanilla, which one's better?

Ahh... my favourite Mexican beer has got to be... Negra Modelo !!!

Old February 16th, 2018, 08:38 PM   #104
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Enjoyed a couple rumrunners, now onto vodka Cokes