Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 31st, 2018, 09:24 AM   #1
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Revzilla tires special

Just so everyone knows-which you probably already do-Revzilla is having a special of $50 off a set of tires right now.

I recommend Revzilla due to my purchase with them, I live in Arkansas, did not upgrade shipping, and they got my gear to me in 2 days. That is pretty awesome, if you ask me. I will say, though, that their prices are a little more than the others for tires. But maybe that was just the tires I was getting.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old May 31st, 2018, 09:37 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
When ever I see tires on sale the first thing I want to know is - how old are they?

Did you check?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2018, 01:30 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Specifically this is a Pirelli rebate, unless there's another offer going on as well.

Thanks for the heads-up. After a really frustrating experience at the track this past weekend (conditions too wet for slicks, but not wet enough for rains) I realized that it's wise to have a set of street tires on hand just in case. They're going to get used on my street bike sooner or later anyway.

Slipped in just under the deadline!

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2018, 02:03 PM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgss77 View Post
Just so everyone knows-which you probably already do-Revzilla is having a special of $50 off a set of tires right now.

I recommend Revzilla due to my purchase with them, I live in Arkansas, did not upgrade shipping, and they got my gear to me in 2 days. That is pretty awesome, if you ask me. I will say, though, that their prices are a little more than the others for tires. But maybe that was just the tires I was getting.
Does this mean you get 4?

Old May 31st, 2018, 11:28 PM   #5
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

They probably don't ship tires to hawaii.........

still.....

So us hawaii folk are left out in the cold, again.

In other news, Dave at moto_race ebay seller has the sava MC50 in stock in both 130/70 rear and the taller and much preferred 140/70 rear sizing. Ordered a rear from him today, but didn't opt for the sticky racing 'soft' compound which is great on the front (110/70) but wears out too quickly on the rear.

Mitas tire, made in slovenia... great tire. No complaints. Have been running them on numerous bikes throughout the years and they definitely grip. Go for the sticky soft on the front. If you don't want to shell out the extra 30 for a sticky compound on the rear, the regular MC50 is still a good tire.

And yeah adoug, you do get a discount if you buy a pair of front/rear.

Ride safe!

Old June 1st, 2018, 05:58 AM   #6
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I was looking at those tyres. How do the soft compound compare to DOT-R tyres? Stickier? Need warmers?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2018, 06:57 AM   #7
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
When ever I see tires on sale the first thing I want to know is - how old are they?

Did you check?
This is a great question in any case. Most of the time the guy on the phone isn't going to go out and look at the date code for you, but you can ask when the last time they were ordered and received was. They can usually look that up in their inventory system.

For sticky performance oriented tires, this is a serious concern. For sport touring and commuting tires not so much.

Old June 1st, 2018, 11:07 PM   #8
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I was looking at those tyres. How do the soft compound compare to DOT-R tyres? Stickier? Need warmers?
No idea, never tried anything DOT-R. Never tried tyre warmers either.

The sava mc50 heat up quick and grip pretty well. Those slovenians seem to know what they are doing.

Old June 1st, 2018, 11:08 PM   #9
corksil

^^^^^ I'll check the date code on the 140/70 when it shows up, but my experience with dave/moto_race is that his stuff is typically pretty fresh.

Old June 6th, 2018, 06:01 PM   #10
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Specifically this is a Pirelli rebate, unless there's another offer going on as well.

Thanks for the heads-up. After a really frustrating experience at the track this past weekend (conditions too wet for slicks, but not wet enough for rains) I realized that it's wise to have a set of street tires on hand just in case. They're going to get used on my street bike sooner or later anyway.

Slipped in just under the deadline!
I really hate this condition. every single time.

Old June 7th, 2018, 05:08 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
A few words on warmers for anyone who doesn't actually race (including track day people):

No tire, including full-on race rubber, REQUIRES warmers. What race tires require is heat, which can be built up by not pushing to the limit for a lap or two. Naturally if you're racing, you need to go to the limit right away, hence warmers. But that's the only scenario where they're truly necessary.

At my trackday organization, none of the instructors or control riders use warmers, and they all use race rubber. They're too busy during the day with classroom and such to mess with warmers. So sure, warmers are nice to have, but they are not REQUIRED at all.

The rubber compound used in street tires is different from that used in race tires. It is formulated to warm up very quickly on its own, without the use of warmers. The trade-off is ultimate grip compared to race tires.

Some companies make what look like the same tire but with the two different compounds. Pirelli Supercorsa SP (street) vs. Supercorsa SC (race "DOT") is a perfect example. They look alike, but the SC is basically just a slick with grooves in it, for race series that require a DOT tire. It's really not good for the street, where you can't work the tire hard enough, long enough, to keep the heat in it.

I run slicks on my track bike. I use warmers. Do I need them? Absolutely not. I'm not fast enough to require them, plus see the note above about the fact that the fast guys don't use them.

So why? The expense, plus hassling with a generator, etc.

One word: Confidence. Cold-tire crashes do happen all the time. So much of riding on the track comes down to confidence in yourself and your bike. It's just one less thing to think about when I send it into the first turn.

Having said that, if I were running street tires? No warmers. Absolutely not needed.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2018, 04:30 PM   #12
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

You do miss one point though, and it's more important with smaller bikes: running warmers can reduce heat cycles and extend tire life. Bigger bikes with serious power are generally going to eat your tires before heat cycle becomes a problem but 250 or 300 at a track day it's basically 1 heat cycle vs 7 or 8.

Old June 7th, 2018, 09:20 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Modern tyre compounds simply don't degrade with heat-cycling. Even the softest racing slicks might be only ones needing warmers. Certainly not street or DOT-R tyres. All staff and instructors at all trackday groups i go to run anything from touring tyres to race-slicks and none of them use warmers.

Afm199 (Ernie) is one of best instructors out there with +50yrs experience. He grabbed me last year to work on some corners @ Thunderhill West. With cords showing on his un-warmed slicks, I still couldn't keep up with him.
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=518735
(ignore commercial post at end)

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; June 8th, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Old June 9th, 2018, 03:36 PM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I love Revzilla, they have a warehouse in Vegas and I get my products usually the next day!

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2018, 06:56 PM   #15
danno25nh
ninjette.org member

Name: Danno

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2009 Versys

I got some Diablo Rossa's they had a 2012 date
danno25nh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2018, 08:56 AM   #16
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

^^^ Ayayay! That's kind of dated, isn't it?
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2018, 12:19 PM   #17
DannoXYZ

Should still work fine if they’ve been stored properly and aren’t crackling. My BT-45s are 2009 and they put down same lap-times as new versions. Which is way, way faster than any sane person would push in street riding.

Old June 10th, 2018, 01:50 PM   #18
danno25nh
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
^^^ Ayayay! That's kind of dated, isn't it?
Visual inspection looks good. Guess I'll find out next week at Heartland

Old June 10th, 2018, 02:02 PM   #19
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Nice! Tell us how it goes!

I bet most of regular riders (including me) wouldn't be able to tell between a tire with an old manufacturing date and a recent one.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2018, 02:43 PM   #20
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Nice! Tell us how it goes!

I bet most of regular riders (including me) wouldn't be able to tell between a tire with an old manufacturing date and a recent one.
Yep, because there really isn’t much difference. What happens with old tyres is you wear them down and the tread is thinner. Less rubber thickness generates less hysteresis forces internally and results in lower slip-angles.

Shave brand new 2018 tyre down to 1/2 tread depth (3/4 worn) and you’ll notice significantly lower grip right away.

Old June 10th, 2018, 06:55 PM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Yep, because there really isn’t much difference. What happens with old tyres is you wear them down and the tread is thinner. Less rubber thickness generates less hysteresis forces internally and results in lower slip-angles.

Shave brand new 2018 tyre down to 1/2 tread depth (3/4 worn) and you’ll notice significantly lower grip right away.
You and I will never agree on that I guess.

I believe there is an advantage to new/fresh tires, and I've never heard that reducing tread depth on a new cycle tire will reduce grip.

In car racing (on DOT tires), shaving tread to reduce depth improves handling.

Old June 10th, 2018, 10:45 PM   #22
DannoXYZ

Thickness of tread-blocks on autos are about 3x as tall as on moto tyres, ~8-9mm. Try riding dual-sport tyres on track and you get too much squirming that distorts contact-patch detrimentally. Shaving auto tyres or dual-sport tyres to 1/3rd depth gets them to moto race tyre depth for maximum traction. It's controlled uniform flex of the rubber that generates highest grip, which is why slicks of same compound sticks better than treaded version of same tyre (not contact surface-area, which is pretty much the same).

I can go through a whole set of brand-new race-slicks in single day on my CBR. The 2nd to last session, they have worse grip than 9-yr old street tyres on the Ninjette. The last session with texture of cords showing has as much grip as smearing peanut butter all over your tyres. That's brand-new 2018 tyres in the morning too!

Old June 11th, 2018, 06:51 AM   #23
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I can go through a whole set of brand-new race-slicks in single day on my CBR. The 2nd to last session, they have worse grip than 9-yr old street tyres on the Ninjette. The last session with texture of cords showing has as much grip as smearing peanut butter all over your tyres. That's brand-new 2018 tyres in the morning too!
That I believe. No doubt there's limited traction left once you are at that point.

Is the tire running too hot, and losing grip, with minimal (but acceptable) rubber left? I'm not getting why else the traction would deteriorate just from reduced tread depth.

Old June 11th, 2018, 02:57 PM   #24
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
That I believe. No doubt there's limited traction left once you are at that point.

Is the tire running too hot, and losing grip, with minimal (but acceptable) rubber left? I'm not getting why else the traction would deteriorate just from reduced tread depth.
There's an optimum rubber-thickness, about 4-6mm depending upon compound.

too thick
- excess weight
- contact patch distorted, especially with tread blocks
- insufficient cooling-rate (surface-area to volume ratio)
- overheated tyre tears pieces off and slides
- shear tearing of tyre between layers

too thin
- can't fully sink into crevices and irregularities of road-surface
- shed heat too fast (only concern for race tyres)
- lower hysteresis forces, less rubber not pushing back as hard,
- causing lower slip-angles before sliding

references:
The Racing & High Performance Tires, Paul Haney
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, Milliken & Milliken

Old June 11th, 2018, 04:05 PM   #25
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

FYI anyone considering this - I got Pirellis for my Ducati like 2 months ago from Revzilla and I'm still waiting for the rebate to go through. They're slow as **** processing them, banking on people forgetting about it. Fck revzilla and fck Pirelli for this shady practice. It's 2018. Put things on sale and stop trying to swindle customers.

Old June 11th, 2018, 05:07 PM   #26
danno25nh
ninjette.org member

I just realized I bought mine through STG. Went on line and filled out the form via Pirelli's web site. Will see if I get a rebate.