ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old May 31st, 2017, 11:11 PM   #1
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

Any cheap fairings around?

I'm looking to buy a set of race bodywork that wont break the bank. I'm ok with used I just haven't been able to find any.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
By "race bodywork" do you mean laminated fibreglass or CF? Or just any bodywork? You can get ABS ones cheaply from China sources ~250 U$D. I'm not sure saving 5-lbs makes a huge difference on a race-bike.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

How cheap is cheap for you?
There are some racing fiberglass fairings on eBay for $350 the set. Check for the seller MotoFairingsInc or something like that. They sell either from Peru, where the fairings are made, or from south Florida.

I've had a set of those for my 250 some years ago and they held well mounting on and off. I never drop the bike, so I can't tell how they crash.

I'm planning to get a set too in the future for my 300, for track days. I don't race (yet). But I still have to decide whether to get these or the nice stuff like HotBodies or similar.
I really like the HotBodies in green, but they're around 600 I guess.

There are also some fairings on eBay coming from Italy, gloss painted, that are very nice, but very expensive. I think around $800
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #4
empire00
ninjette.org member

Looking for fiberglass or CF. I haven't been able to find anything under the name motofairings seems like their ebay store and website have been shut down.

Old June 16th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #5
Topaz
ninjette.org member

They were on eBay last time I checked, but I can't find them now. The ones for the N300 were a little over $300.

It looks like they have a facebook page now instead of a website.
Check
https://www.facebook.com/MotoFairingsInc/

They used to have a lot of stuff for the 07-12 Ninja 250. I bought from them in 2014. I don't know now.

The only little problem I had with those fairings was that bolts tabs were kind of brittle, so you don't have to tight too much those bolts.
I damaged one tab, so I was easy on the rest, and I put rubber washers where I could.

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #6
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire00 View Post
Looking for fiberglass or CF. I haven't been able to find anything under the name motofairings seems like their ebay store and website have been shut down.
I think you'll find a fiberglass fairing heavier than ABS.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Topaz
ninjette.org member

There is also the issue about how well or bad the fairings crash. Do they slide and absorb? Or they crack and shatters? Do they protect the bike? I wish I knew.

On another bike of mine, a much more expensive one, I bought a set of Chinese abs street fairings to preserve the very expensive OEM's fairings.
I didn't crash that bike either, but the Chinese abs seemed to be less flexible. And some experienced people assured that those fairings would shatter to pieces in case of a crash and leave the the frame and engine unprotected.

Now I have the feeling that the stock abs would protect the frame and engine more than the fiber glass. I may get a used set of OEM fairings for the track and cover the lights openings with tape.
The belly pan wouldn't work for racing though, as it has to hold the oil in case of a spill.

Old June 16th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
There is also the issue about how well or bad the fairings crash. Do they slide and absorb? Or they crack and shatters? Do they protect the bike? I wish I knew.

On another bike of mine, a much more expensive one, I bought a set of Chinese abs street fairings to preserve the very expensive OEM's fairings.
I didn't crash that bike either, but the Chinese abs seemed to be less flexible. And some experienced people assured that those fairings would shatter to pieces in case of a crash and leave the the frame and engine unprotected.

Now I have the feeling that the stock abs would protect the frame and engine more than the fiber glass. I may get a used set of OEM fairings for the track and cover the lights openings with tape.
The belly pan wouldn't work for racing though, as it has to hold the oil in case of a spill.
Apparently the ABS fairing doesn't protect all the framework. I bought a 2007 250 and did a-lot of work on it. Upon reassembly I could not get the upper fairing mounting holes to line up. At that point I figured the upper fairing frame was bashed in an accident and found one on eBay. So, the previous owner bought a wreck, replaced the upper fairing and used the old framework to mount the new fairing. The ABS fairing may offer some protection to the main chassis but not to the fairing frame support - or shift lever or brake pedal. Don't forget the mufflers.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #9
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I think you'll find a fiberglass fairing heavier than ABS.

Bill
You'll find that a good quality fiberglass fairing is actually lighter than the ABS fairings.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 16th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #10
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
They were on eBay last time I checked, but I can't find them now. The ones for the N300 were a little over $300.

It looks like they have a facebook page now instead of a website.
Check
https://www.facebook.com/MotoFairingsInc/

They used to have a lot of stuff for the 07-12 Ninja 250. I bought from them in 2014. I don't know now.

The only little problem I had with those fairings was that bolts tabs were kind of brittle, so you don't have to tight too much those bolts.
I damaged one tab, so I was easy on the rest, and I put rubber washers where I could.
Brittleness is an indicator of cheaper resins used that aren't as tough as the ones used in higher quality fairings. That means that they are less durable and less likely to be easily repaired after a crash.

Old June 16th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #11
tgold
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
By "race bodywork" do you mean laminated fibreglass or CF? Or just any bodywork? You can get ABS ones cheaply from China sources ~250 U$D. I'm not sure saving 5-lbs makes a huge difference on a race-bike.
Five pounds is actually a big deal. That's why I want to get rid of the current race bodywork that I have because it's been poorly repaired by the previous owner and is probably about 4 or 5 lb too heavy. After putting my racebike on a serious diet with virtually every unused tab and bracket removed the passenger portion of the subframe removedand getting the weight under 290lb, you can bet I'd love to get another 5lb off the little beast!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 16th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #12
empire00
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
Five pounds is actually a big deal. That's why I want to get rid of the current race bodywork that I have because it's been poorly repaired by the previous owner and is probably about 4 or 5 lb too heavy. After putting my racebike on a serious diet with virtually every unused tab and bracket removed the passenger portion of the subframe removedand getting the weight under 290lb, you can bet I'd love to get another 5lb off the little beast!
Any interest in selling the set you have now? I am just using mine for track days right now and want to get away from the stock plastics before I destroy them.

Old June 16th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #13
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

I had a motofairings set. Not bad for the price, but plan on some elbow grease to get them to fit. If anyone wants some tips for the 300, I'll post them. And if you are the kind of guy that will start whining when things don't line up quite right, these are not for you.

Motofairings was just the reseller of the fairings made by Moto Andes SAC in Peru. Lacking a distributor, the shop in Peru has just started selling direct. This is them:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/moto_andes_sac/m.html

They have most common supersport track bikes up, but if someone wants a set for a 250 or 300 ninja, I suggest contacting this seller and asking to make a set and then posting it on ebay for you to buy. Naturally they are pumping out R6 fairings, but some fairings are a little lower priority on their production schedule.

The Peru makers are better than Hotbodies. Don't but a set of Hotbodies any other time than in November for their 2 for 1 sale, because they aren't worth full price. At full price you should just pay a little bit more and get Sharkskinz. Don't get me wrong, I like hotbodies and have used them often, but I ONLY buy in November for the 2 for 1 sale. Go in with a buddy who needs them too.

Moto Andes Fairings can look pretty good if you put some effort in:

Though the most expensive thing about that paint job was the eyes, hahah. The rest is rattle can.

Edit: oh they have a 250 posted if that's what you need. I don't see a 300 currently in their list.
www.ebay.com/itm/111575563679

Last futzed with by Zaph42; June 16th, 2017 at 04:09 PM. Reason: link to 250 fairings
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #14
empire00
ninjette.org member

Thanks Zaph42!