ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which type of engine do you prefer?
Carbureted 4 16.67%
Fuel Injected 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Carburetor vs Fuel Injection

I have met a ton of great people here with a knowledge for these bikes that I can only HOPE to obtain a fraction of someday. I have found myself obsessed with the 250's carburetor. Every single thing that goes well or wrong with these bikes in some way or another comes back to the carbs. I've been reading all I can about the ninjette carbs and carbs in general. What Ducatiman does is astonishing. With that said with the invention of fuel injected engines on these 250's which do you prefer and why? Never really found the answer to what is better. To each their own I suppose. Pros and cons of both. Looking forward to reading this post.

Old July 9th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Third option: Either - it doesn't truly matter.

Carburetion can be a bit of an art, unlike FI. It gives the bike a bit of character, making it less like an appliance.

Ask any older person... the cars they remember most fondly usually aren't the most reliable and trouble-free ones. They were the ones that you bonded with. These days, my car is just a transportation tool.

But FI lets you forget about how things are working, because it either works just fine or throws you an error code. And the error code is usually fixed simply by replacing something.

So carbs... elegant mechanical devices, rewarding once you understand them, but there's more to go wrong. FI... boring but reliable.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #3
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Third option: Either - it doesn't truly matter.

Carburetion can be a bit of an art, unlike FI. It gives the bike a bit of character, making it less like an appliance.

Ask any older person... the cars they remember most fondly usually aren't the most reliable and trouble-free ones. They were the ones that you bonded with. These days, my car is just a transportation tool.

But FI lets you forget about how things are working, because it either works just fine or throws you an error code. And the error code is usually fixed simply by replacing something.

So carbs... elegant mechanical devices, rewarding once you understand them, but there's more to go wrong. FI... boring but reliable.
Definitely the type of answer I was looking for.
However why does it seem like every time a carbureted motorcycle has an issue it seems no matter what it is, it quite possibly could be related to the carburetor? Don't hear people saying "well it's gotta be the fuel injection" nearly as often. Leads me to believe a carb plays a much more significant role with the engine and function of the motorcycle.

Old July 9th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
By "an issue" do you include all that can go wrong with a bike? Transmission? Fuel tank? Suspension? Ignition?

Of course not.

Carburetors play the exact same role as FI. They meter fuel. They do not play a "more significant role with the engine and function of the motorcycle."

Note that carbureted Ninjettes have been around a whole lot longer than FI bikes. There are many more of them, they have much more mileage, and they're older. So there's some selection bias going on here... of COURSE you're going to see more issues with carbureted bikes. Check back in in 15 years and see how many problems you have with aging FI bikes.

Having said that, if it ain't there, it can't break, right? Being more complex devices than fuel injectors, they are more sensitive to poor maintenance and neglect. You may note that most of the issues you'll find are related to the bike being parked for a long time, with fuel going bad. That's not the fault of the carb, nor an inherent weakness. It's the fault of the owner not treating his/her machinery properly.

A fuel injector can get clogged too. But without the nooks and crannies you find in a carb, they're easier to clean by running some fuel treatment through the system.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I enjoy my carburetors but only because I ride often and they stay cleaned. I also didn't have nearly as much trouble cleaning and tuning them as some people do because I've monkied with lots of small engine carburetors before. Knew one guy with a Honda Shadow that'd been sitting for two years because he couldn't figure it out, and by the time I met him and wanted to help him, he was just so done with it that he was selling it and buying a different bike.

Carbs are great. I like them. They're just nice. They're a really fun way to get intimate with the bike if you're that type of person (Not everyone is, and that's okay!).

I also like fuel injection. It doesn't break as much. Although, carbs don't really break that much either when taken care of.

The only thing I really dislike about carbs is that you do lose a sometimes significant amount of performance when you're riding at a different elevation than when you tuned it. It really is noticeable. One time I thought I was on a big hill when I was on a small slope that would normally give my bike no trouble (it's hard to interpret gravity on a twisty road when you've been riding for a while :P) That said, it really only happens when you go up a couple thousand feet.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #6
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I enjoy my carburetors but only because I ride often and they stay cleaned. I also didn't have nearly as much trouble cleaning and tuning them as some people do because I've monkied with lots of small engine carburetors before. Knew one guy with a Honda Shadow that'd been sitting for two years because he couldn't figure it out, and by the time I met him and wanted to help him, he was just so done with it that he was selling it and buying a different bike.

Carbs are great. I like them. They're just nice. They're a really fun way to get intimate with the bike if you're that type of person (Not everyone is, and that's okay!).

I also like fuel injection. It doesn't break as much. Although, carbs don't really break that much either when taken care of.

The only thing I really dislike about carbs is that you do lose a sometimes significant amount of performance when you're riding at a different elevation than when you tuned it. It really is noticeable. One time I thought I was on a big hill when I was on a small slope that would normally give my bike no trouble (it's hard to interpret gravity on a twisty road when you've been riding for a while :P) That said, it really only happens when you go up a couple thousand feet.
I can honestly see how people can actually love carbs. A guy like ducatiman just has too considering the work he does. Sounds like you feel the same.

Old July 9th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I bought my first bike in 1986, a Honda Interceptor 500. In fact, I just bought the same model bike this last week for the exact same price I paid in 1986. Before that, I did years of dirt-bike riding before I ever got a driver's license. Learned to do a lot of maintenance because 2-strokes always seem to need some work.

Then I into cars and racing. Hot-rodding cars seemed more complicated and back then, a lot of racers converted to carbs. Which is fine if you keep engine fairly stock without continuous upgrades.

I got to point where I kept upgrading my cars to be competitive in SCCA, NASA racing and smaller club outfits. The costs of hours of labour in pulling carbs, re-jetting and grinding custom needles simply out-costed the simplicity of several seconds of mouse-clicks. I had gotten to the point where I was doubling, even tripling the factory output of an engine through mods like turbocharging. Optimizing each stage of upgrades for max-power while preserving grocery-store friendly driving for the missus and having single-crank cold-starts regardless of weather was simply cost-prohibitive or just impossible with carbs.

I opened up a shop in SoCal offering Porsche Turbo upgrades. My main bread & butter service was ECU re-programming and dyno-tuning. With just a new chip and/or software, I was able to add an extra +100bhp to a stock car!

There's no going back! I'm so deeply entrenched in the time-efficiency and cost-savings of EFI and associated tools such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, wideband O2-sensors with dataloging, laptops and bluetooth tablets, that my response to anyone inquiring about upgrades is to recommend a standalone programmable EFI system as the very first mod.

It really saves tonnes of labour and thousands of dollars in the long-run.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vf5.jpg (165.5 KB, 114 views)

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 10th, 2017 at 12:15 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 10th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I like FI, but cover the computer with a faraday box for the emp, and always wear your tinfoil folks

Old July 10th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I saw that the cops were testing a remote-control toy car with EMP pulse to disable ECU on runaway cars. Worked great when testing on stationary targets. But at freeway speeds, they had trouble controlling the remote-control car. HAhahahah....

Old July 10th, 2017, 11:27 AM   #10
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Every single thing that goes well or wrong with these bikes in some way or another comes back to the carbs.

that is because when people, especially noobs, "clean" clean the carbs, they don't get them clean.

When you see "my bike wont run without the choke, but i just cleaned the carbs" that means the carb is not clean.

I don't mind carburetors, they are simple, air through the venturi pulls fuel into the cylinder.
I love the simple maintenance of my FI bikes even more, I push the button, and it starts!!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #11
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
There is a reason that all currently manufactured cars and most bikes have fuel injection. The computer control allows more precise metering of fuel making them more efficient and making it easier to pass ever stricter emissions requirements.

You can love carburetors all you want, but you can't argue that they are better than fuel injection. (unless your definition of better is simpler and cheaper)

That being said. There are 4 motorcycles in my garage and none of them are FI.

So which do I prefer?

I prefer fuel injection for it's efficiency, it's easy of use, it's ability to adjust itself to altitude and dirty air filters.

But I have carbureted bikes because carburetors come on older cheaper motorcycles.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
don't mind carburetors, they are simple, air through the venturi pulls fuel into the cylinder.
I love the simple maintenance of my FI bikes even more, I push the button, and it starts!!
This is one of the big bonuses of EFI. Some sample cases:

1. my CBR600RR sat for 8-months last winter outside under a plastic tarp while I was busy with new job and moving in. My race Ninja 250 and wife's CB125T was stored inside heated garage for 6-months. After spring-thaw, I signed up for track-day on 250 and spent a whole day cleaning out tank, replacing with fresh gas, cleaning the carbs, replacing seals, etc. Same with CB125T before it would run smoothly enough for riding. The CBR600RR? No bother, it started within the 1st crank and idled cleanly with no hiccups!

2. back when I lived in S.B., I had a Porsche race-car that sat for 18-months waiting for engine-builder to deliver new engine (was supposed to be 4-months). Got engine just one week before Open Track Challenge. Ended up staying up 3-days in a row to get engine installed. Plugged in custom-chip specifically mapped for this engine... then it was the moment of truth. First crank? VVRROOOOmmmm!!!

Old July 11th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #13
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I bought my first bike in 1986, a Honda Interceptor 500. In fact, I just bought the same model bike this last week for the exact same price I paid in 1986. Before that, I did years of dirt-bike riding before I ever got a driver's license. Learned to do a lot of maintenance because 2-strokes always seem to need some work.

Then I into cars and racing. Hot-rodding cars seemed more complicated and back then, a lot of racers converted to carbs. Which is fine if you keep engine fairly stock without continuous upgrades.

I got to point where I kept upgrading my cars to be competitive in SCCA, NASA racing and smaller club outfits. The costs of hours of labour in pulling carbs, re-jetting and grinding custom needles simply out-costed the simplicity of several seconds of mouse-clicks. I had gotten to the point where I was doubling, even tripling the factory output of an engine through mods like turbocharging. Optimizing each stage of upgrades for max-power while preserving grocery-store friendly driving for the missus and having single-crank cold-starts regardless of weather was simply cost-prohibitive or just impossible with carbs.

I opened up a shop in SoCal offering Porsche Turbo upgrades. My main bread & butter service was ECU re-programming and dyno-tuning. With just a new chip and/or software, I was able to add an extra +100bhp to a stock car!

There's no going back! I'm so deeply entrenched in the time-efficiency and cost-savings of EFI and associated tools such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, wideband O2-sensors with dataloging, laptops and bluetooth tablets, that my response to anyone inquiring about upgrades is to recommend a standalone programmable EFI system as the very first mod.

It really saves tonnes of labour and thousands of dollars in the long-run.

One of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen I love the old blue and red Honda colors. That's the look I'm going for with my ninjette lol

Old July 11th, 2017, 05:22 AM   #14
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
30 years later...a Honda VFR800 RWB anniversary model, I believe an '07....this one with white wheel and seat changes (black is stock supplied)

This thing is a looker, very pleasing to the eyes. Could stare at it forever just sitting, parked in my garage (unfortunately, not mine)

Notice red mirrors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vfr rwb.jpg (89.7 KB, 81 views)
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #15
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
I have met a ton of great people here with a knowledge for these bikes that I can only HOPE to obtain a fraction of someday. I have found myself obsessed with the 250's carburetor. Every single thing that goes well or wrong with these bikes in some way or another comes back to the carbs. I've been reading all I can about the ninjette carbs and carbs in general. What Ducatiman does is astonishing. With that said with the invention of fuel injected engines on these 250's which do you prefer and why? Never really found the answer to what is better. To each their own I suppose. Pros and cons of both. Looking forward to reading this post.
I prefer carburetors - but not Keihin. They are more complicated than they need to be. I removed the Keihin on my Honda 500cc single and it became an entirely different bike. Smoother operation, more midrange torque and higher top speed - and A-LOT simpler.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Why Mikuni.pdf (561.3 KB, 4 views)
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #16
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Hey, the Interceptor 500 is a bike my hubby used to have! It was a bike I was supposed to learn to ride, but we never got around to teaching me. Gorgeous bike. The red, white, and blue still pulls my eye and there are still a few on the road!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2017, 08:40 AM   #17
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Hey, the Interceptor 500 is a bike my hubby used to have! It was a bike I was supposed to learn to ride, but we never got around to teaching me. Gorgeous bike. The red, white, and blue still pulls my eye and there are still a few on the road!
Oooo. The Interceptor is a very nice bike. This is my dinosaur:

Wanna trade?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 223.jpg (183.3 KB, 1 views)

Old July 11th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #18
CaliGrrl

Dinosaur it may be, but if it still runs and you like it...

We sold my husband's Interceptor to a guy who got pulled over on his test ride for making an illegal left turn. Didn't get a ticket, thankfully, and he still wanted the bike.

Old July 11th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #19
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Dinosaur it may be, but if it still runs and you like it...

We sold my husband's Interceptor to a guy who got pulled over on his test ride for making an illegal left turn. Didn't get a ticket, thankfully, and he still wanted the bike.
Back in the 70s my girlfriend bought a Kawasaki 400 S3 triple. I rode it home for her. I HAD to see what she would do so I wound it up to 109 M.P.H. (indicated) and about that time I saw red flashing lights in my rear view mirrors. I pulled over thinking "I just got my walking papers." In N.Y. State 20 over will get your license pulled. The N.Y. State Trooper instructed me to get in his car. I said to him, "I guess I'm in trouble, huh." He said "Maybe." He listened to my new bike story and I just wanted to see what it would do. After a long silence he said, "Well, I could ticket you for not having the bike inspected." I said OK. Then he said "If you appear in court I can easily change this to a speeding ticket." I said "I won't".

N.Y. State Troopers aren't usually this lenient.

Bill

Old July 11th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #20
Ram Jet

Quote:
One of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen I love the old blue and red Honda colors. That's the look I'm going for with my ninjette lol
I'd be interested in fuel injection if it was entirely mechanical, like a Hillborn. I know two things about electricity; you have to pay the bill and it will knock you on your ass.

Bill

Old July 11th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #21
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I prefer carburetors - but not Keihin. They are more complicated than they need to be. I removed the Keihin on my Honda 500cc single and it became an entirely different bike. Smoother operation, more midrange torque and higher top speed - and A-LOT simpler.
I'll respectfully disagree in a sense...IMHO Mikuni CV's more complicated by design ...but this is not a bad thing....designed with throttle shafts, jet blocks and slide bridges removable for convenient service...affording deep access to the various circuits and moving parts.Throttle shaft seals are actually available and replaceable...though replacement very tricky on a 4 cylinder application.

Keihin "hidden circuits" designed to offer less access...as a result..simpler...less parts. Perhaps a bit more difficult and resistant to cleaning ...the Mikunis more "friendly" via accees.

Keihin CVK's (on the EX250/500....throttle shafts not serviceable (nor are internal seals and washers) jets thread into carb body (not a removable block) and slide bridges pressed in...aqain not serviceable.

The raw materials used in Mikuni's I think a bit more resistant to condensation. They tend to clean up better (the way they react to sodablast and ultrasonic) and suffer less water "stains"....in the bowls for instance.

Note I'm comparing Keihin sidedraft CVK (on EX 250/500)and Mikuni downdraft CV carbs here used on Ducati twins, Yamaha R6 and YZF1000, and older flatslides used on Suzuki Bandit 600.

To sum up..the Mikuni better materials and design, Keihins simpler....again IMHO.

Edited to add...I forgot...Keihin air correction jets are pressed in, permanent, non-tunable. Mikuni's are screw in, removable, replaceable and tunable with sizes available. Again, Mikuni more complex, while designed for latitude in tuning.

Last futzed with by ducatiman; July 13th, 2017 at 05:45 AM.

Old July 11th, 2017, 10:08 AM   #22
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
I'll respectfully disagree in a sense...IMHO Mikuni CV's more complicated by design ...but this is not a bad thing....designed with throttle shafts, jet blocks and slide bridges removable for convenient service...affording deep access to the various circuits and moving parts.Throttle shaft seals are actually available and replaceable...though replacement very tricky on a 4 cylinder application.

Keihin "hidden circuits" designed to offer less access...as a result..simpler...less parts. Perhaps a bit more difficult and resistant to cleaning ...the Mikunis more "friendly" via accees.

Keihin CVK's (on the EX250/500....throttle shafts not serviceable (nor are internal seals and washers) jets thread into carb body (not a removable block) and slide bridges pressed in...aqain not serviceable.

The raw materials used in Mikuni's I think a bit more resistant to condensation. They tend to clean up better (the way they react to sodablast and ultrasonic) and suffer less water "stains"....in the bowls for instance.

Note I'm comparing Keihin sidedraft CVK (on EX 250/500)and Mikuni downdraft CV carbs here used on Ducati twins, Yamaha R6 and YZF1000, and older flatslides used on Suzuki Bandit 600.

To sum up..the Mikuni better materials and design, Keihins simpler....again IMHO.
Thanks Gordon, great feedback. You know, I never liked the idea of a carburetor controlling my throttle input like CV carbs. In fact, I wonder if a CV carb ever gives you full throttle regardless of the butterfly position. How do you know? I'm certain on a non CV Mikuni. Anyway, if I don't ask you to work your magic on my Keihins someday I would consider installing a set of Yamaha RD400 carbs on the Ninja. It would be an interesting project.

Cheers,

Bill

Old July 11th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #23
DannoXYZ

How about an RD400 engine in Ninja... that should be fun!

Old July 11th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #24
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
And likely doable too. The Keihin CR racing carbs ungodly expensive (a Ducati twin conversion for example..near $1000) ..generic Mikuni's likely affordable, effective and available for a 250 ninj.

But a massive project nonetheless...errors, mistakes can be costly...actually worth it in the end?

Old July 11th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #25
Ram Jet

Quote:
How about an RD400 engine in Ninja... that should be fun!
Hmmm. 44 H.P. and probably less weight. That just may be the ticket! Oh, hell, your only a shoehorn away from a Kaw 500 triple at 60 H.P. Imagine that, a Kaw 500 triple with good handling. The mind boggles.

Buying a Kaw Ninja 500R would be a-lot less painful

Bill

Old July 11th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #26
CaliGrrl

Quote:
I HAD to see what she would do so I wound it up to 109 M.P.H. (indicated) and about that time I saw red flashing lights in my rear view mirrors.
D'oh! Glad he let you off with a lighter ticket.

Old July 11th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #27
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
30 years later...a Honda VFR800 RWB anniversary model, I believe an '07....this one with white wheel and seat changes (black is stock supplied)

This thing is a looker, very pleasing to the eyes. Could stare at it forever just sitting, parked in my garage (unfortunately, not mine)

Notice red mirrors?
Yeah, what's with red mirrors?

There's one on eBay now! Honda VFR800 Interceptor 2007 25th Anniversary

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 12th, 2017 at 12:28 AM.

Old July 12th, 2017, 12:28 PM   #28
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

Just because "that's the way old guys did it" is not the way to keep thinking with any sort of technology, especially carbs. It's antiquated and needs to go away.

I couldn't wait to get away from carbs on my bikes and with 10% ethanol appearing everywhere in fuel, I can't stay away from them enough anymore because of what it does to the jets when they sit, for even two weeks without being run.

Argument:
Formula 1 cars get better performance and economy with modern technology.

The environment will suffer less as we improve our concepts and technology on fuel use.

Ask yourself briefly, "Will the argument, 'should we keep slavery alive just because the old guys did it that way?' still work? NO THAT'S STUPID. Just like it would be stupid to not have and actively promote -on all platforms- our technology help our society advance and make us better people.

Yes, it is cool to be nostalgic for old stuff, but it is definitely time to kick archaic active things to the curb like NASCAR and other dino-sports that do not respect and promote the protection and furthering of technology that will move us into fuel efficient vehicles to reduce carbon footprints.

With the US Government waiting for 30-40 year long "fleet-turnover" to slowly outdate carb-powered vehicles, this isn't happening fast enough. We should be converting these little monsters or taxing them at a higher rate to push them out of the active fleet faster.

Not only are carbs a pain in the ass to keep in tune after engine temp and climate changes, there are such better performing answers out there, it's silly. Just look at how much more reliable the Ninja 300 is at starting than the 250.

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #29
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonik View Post
With the US Government waiting for 30-40 year long "fleet-turnover" to slowly outdate carb-powered vehicles, this isn't happening fast enough. We should be converting these little monsters or taxing them at a higher rate to push them out of the active fleet faster.
That's certainly the Socialist way of looking at it. While I respect your preference for fuel injection, using carburetors today isn't really much like promoting slavery.

In reality, there isn't a very high percentage of old cars in use. The ones that are tend to be owned by people that don't have a lot of money. Mandating their cars out off the road may have a lot more negative consequences than it seems at first.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #30
Ram Jet

Quote:
Just because "that's the way old guys did it" is not the way to keep thinking with any sort of technology, especially carbs. It's antiquated and needs to go away.

I couldn't wait to get away from carbs on my bikes and with 10% ethanol appearing everywhere in fuel, I can't stay away from them enough anymore because of what it does to the jets when they sit, for even two weeks without being run.

Argument:
Formula 1 cars get better performance and economy with modern technology.

The environment will suffer less as we improve our concepts and technology on fuel use.

Ask yourself briefly, "Will the argument, 'should we keep slavery alive just because the old guys did it that way?' still work? NO THAT'S STUPID. Just like it would be stupid to not have and actively promote -on all platforms- our technology help our society advance and make us better people.

Yes, it is cool to be nostalgic for old stuff, but it is definitely time to kick archaic active things to the curb like NASCAR and other dino-sports that do not respect and promote the protection and furthering of technology that will move us into fuel efficient vehicles to reduce carbon footprints.

Not only are carbs a pain in the ass to keep in tune after engine temp and climate changes, there are such better performing answers out there, it's silly. Just look at how much more reliable the Ninja 300 is at starting than the 250.
Indy 500 cars started running fuel injection in 1949. Fuel injection is no big news story. I believe that the reason carburetors have been our mainstay in autos and bikes is that there is lower acquisition costs for the consumer with carbureted engines. Enter stage left and it's the E.P.A. and they gave manufacturers a reason to believe.

What's the cost of a carburetor rebuild kit vs. a fuel injector system's "black box" ? All these computer controlled widgets are going to retire the "shade tree mechanic". In addition the expenses associated with all this technology will leave a-lot of potential bikers sitting on the curb. I paid $1,500.00 for my 07' Ninja in March. I would guess that all the work I did on it in March, April and May would have cost me in excess of $1,500.00 at the dealer and he wouldn't have done the detail work I did. Not only will the internal combustion engine fade into history so will the average motorcyclist. Not many people can afford a $6,000.00 motorcycle and pay the mortgage and feed the family.

Enough Obamaisim already.

Bill

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #31
DannoXYZ

The world is always changing and evolving. It's the same as with blacksmiths and chimney sweeps; adapt or die! Heck, if you're a mechanic of any sort, it's very easy to learn EFI. Building an EFI system from scratch with circuit boards, discrete components and a soldering-iron's not hard at all. Any mechanic that claims to be able to "repair" any kind of automotive or motorcycle product should be more than proficient at building an EFI system and harness, install and tune them. At least any mechanic that wants to continue making a living and supporting their family.

Personally I think carbs work well if you stick with stock configurations. And keep the system clean and maintained. Yep, more work than EFI and definitely more care than many of these bikes have been getting though. I bought my '05 CBR600RR in '09 for $2500. I have spent way, way less time and money maintaining that bike than any of my carburetted bikes. Do seem to go through track tyres awfully fast though, which is partly why I race the 250.

I find it fascinating that last bastions of carburetor usage, muscle-car hot-rodders, have embraced EFI with gusto for upgrading.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...gas-powerhouse
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...n-market-today
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/standalone-efi-systems

Old July 12th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #32
DannoXYZ

Quote:
What's the cost of a carburetor rebuild kit vs. a fuel injector system's "black box" ? All these computer controlled widgets are going to retire the "shade tree mechanic".
Let's compare actual in-the-field examples... say over 20-years. A bike's going to need on average... what... 5x carb-rebuild kits?

5x60 = $300 carb-rebuilds, compared to...
EFI needs how many ECUs??? $000 !!! extremely rare to need a new ECU

So... $300 / $00 = ???, use limit as X approaches 0 = infinity!!!

Carbs cost infinitely more to maintain than EFI systems!!

That's why shadetree mechanics will go under, there's no need to pay them with EFI!!!

Old July 12th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #33
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Hold on....... Runs and gets popcorn....... Gets Guinness....... Sits on comfy couch

OK carry on....

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #34
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

*gets popcorn*

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.

Old July 12th, 2017, 03:25 PM   #35
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

this thread is super interesting. lots of passion and really interesting points.

Old July 12th, 2017, 03:25 PM   #36
Ram Jet

Quote:
Let's compare actual in-the-field examples... say over 20-years. A bike's going to need on average... what... 5x carb-rebuild kits?

5x60 = $300 carb-rebuilds, compared to...
EFI needs how many ECUs??? $000 !!! extremely rare to need a new ECU

So... $300 / $00 = ???, use limit as X approaches 0 = infinity!!!

Carbs cost infinitely more to maintain than EFI systems!!

That's why shadetree mechanics will go under, there's no need to pay them with EFI!!!
I bought a 1982 Honda 500 in June of 2006 with 11K miles on it. I'm 95% certain that the previous owner never rebuilt the carb. Since 06' I have had the carb off the bike twice. Once in 2006 to install a larger main jet, and again in 2014 to remove it and install a Mikuni. It's never seen a rebuild kit.

What part of the Universe do you hail from where motorcycle carburetors require 5 rebuild kits every 20 years?

Bill

Old July 12th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #37
DannoXYZ

I can pull up at least 10x threads here where someone needs their carbs rebuilt having owned the bike less than 2-yrs. Just the fact that the product exists indicates a need. In the past 30-yrs, I've bought carb-rebuild kits for the following bikes I've owned:

- VF500F
- VF750F
- VFR750
- RZ350
- CB125T
- EX250F
- EX500
- GPZ250
- CB600F
- CBR600
- CR250
- RM125
- VF500F again!@#%$

Never had to do the same for anything with EFI. In fact, have we ever seen an "EFI ECU rebuild-kit"?

Old July 12th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #38
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

I have a 2010 that has 2 rebuild kits in it. Thanks ethanol!

Old July 12th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #39
DannoXYZ

Quote:
I have a 2010 that has 2 rebuild kits in it. Thanks ethanol!
With autos, there has been need for fuel-system component upgrades to deal with ethanol fuels (hoses, pumps, fittings, O-rings etc.). Are there such upgrades for carbs? Ethanol-resistant seals, jets, diaphragms, etc.? Or are we getting same OEM/NOS that was designed for back when these bikes were new and pre-ethanol fuels?

Old July 12th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #40
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I have an '05 that I bought a couple years ago, and I haven't had any carburetor problems, other than putting one shim under each of the needle clips. Ethanol has never caused me a problem as long as I don't let the bike sit for many months.

Interestingly, my '89 Moto Guzzi Mille GT (1000 cc) gets mid 50s MPG, while newer fuel injected Guzzis of similar displacement typically get in the 40s. Which is better for the world?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote