Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:08 AM   #41
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
That's weird. Why have a bike if you don't go ride it?
I agree with you, but I'm sure there are lots of reasons.

People buy a bike and think they are going to ride it, some get scared and don't ride it, others don't have people to ride with, some crash, some have friends that crash, some meet a significant other that doesn't like to ride.

I have a brother in law that bought a boat, real nice 26' cuddy cruiser. Then he met a woman, she didn't say she hated he boat, until after they were married. He kept the boat for 10 or 12 years sitting in his parents back yard, all the time thinking he would use it one day.

My 1997 Sportster had 5,400 miles on it when I registered it the end of December 2016. That's averaging about 600 miles a year. Now a VIN check showed it hadn't been registered or inspected for 16 years in there so the poor thing sat unused and unloved in some garage or shed. It now has 14,000 miles on it. I like to ride and do so whenever I can.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:11 AM   #42
Pigeonherd
ninjette.org member

Name: pigeonherd

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja250, 2014 Honda CB500X, '15CB300F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlkaAt9pdlU" TARGET="_blank">Link to original page on YouTube.

not sure why that isn't working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlkaAt9pdlU

Pigeonherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:14 AM   #43
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17

Link to original page on YouTube.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:16 AM   #44
Pigeonherd
ninjette.org member

Name: pigeonherd

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja250, 2014 Honda CB500X, '15CB300F

Thank you.
Pigeonherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:16 AM   #45
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
@Misti you're my hero.
Yeah!!! Just smile and wave, smile and wave. Then completely demolish them on track!!!

Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:49 PM   #46
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
[QUOTE="A";1184708]When bikers lose sight of their priorities..

Some clean their bikes more than ride them..

Some spend more time modifying than riding..[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"]That's not likely to be me anytime soon..... [/COLOR]
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:53 PM   #47
CaliGrrl

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. The mental picture of a guy bragging about his bike while not actually riding it was silly.

My mom had my dad's boat for several years after he died in 1995. She sold it this past year... so yeah, things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I agree with you, but I'm sure there are lots of reasons.

People buy a bike and think they are going to ride it, some get scared and don't ride it, others don't have people to ride with, some crash, some have friends that crash, some meet a significant other that doesn't like to ride.

I have a brother in law that bought a boat, real nice 26' cuddy cruiser. Then he met a woman, she didn't say she hated he boat, until after they were married. He kept the boat for 10 or 12 years sitting in his parents back yard, all the time thinking he would use it one day.

My 1997 Sportster had 5,400 miles on it when I registered it the end of December 2016. That's averaging about 600 miles a year. Now a VIN check showed it hadn't been registered or inspected for 16 years in there so the poor thing sat unused and unloved in some garage or shed. It now has 14,000 miles on it. I like to ride and do so whenever I can.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 08:15 PM   #48
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Nice try HD. They mucked-up when they dumped the Erik Buell line of motorcycles. The new HD CEO is mainly a golfer. He has no heart for motorcycling.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #49
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
That's weird. Why have a bike if you don't go ride it?
Always the million dollar question. I grew up with a dad who raced. He and his buddies spent countless hours out in our garage working on bikes, fabricating etc. They just genuinely enjoyed it. I do as well. But my dad spent way more time on the seat of his bike and always told me if I ever buy a bike don't ever forget to ride it. When I first got Lucy there were a few minor things she needed but always made sure my butt was on that seat more than I had a wrench to her. I honestly don't know what the satisfaction is when you're spending more time looking at your bike and talking about your bike than you are riding it. There are so many people out there like that. I met an 18yr old kid who I had a blast riding with a few weeks ago. He acted as if his 250 was his life. I text him yesterday telling him I have a four day weekend starting today and if he wanted to ride we could go on a long one. Get out of town so to speak. Told him to invite anyone. His response floored me. He said he has had his bike for a year now and has kind of grown tired of long rides. Said he did it so much in the beginning that he doesn't enjoy it. He's only been riding a year! My heart broke for his 2007 because actually he has a nice bike and he's taken care of her. I am slowly making "riding friends" so I'll find someone to ride these next four days away with. @Ram Jet one day UB you and I will set sail for a long journey!

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #50
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
"Nice "Starter bike" dude!"

I had a guy on a FZ-07 at a local bike night say that about the SV650 when I told him that's what I had.

Had to chuckle.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #51
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
"Nice "Starter bike" dude!"

I had a guy on a FZ-07 at a local bike night say that about the SV650 when I told him that's what I had.

Had to chuckle.
SV650 as in a Suzuki Boulevard?
@jkv45

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #52
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
SV650

BOULEVARD
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #53
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
SV650

BOULEVARD
Haha definitely two different bikes my mom has a Boulevard I've ridden it many times. I hate it. Nice bike you got there. The Boulevard has some kind of SV name to it so my mistake. Thank you!

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #54
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Matter of fact that's probably the best looking "street fighter" style Suzuki sport bike I've ever seen. Like a CBR I've always thought GSXr's were the ugliest bikes that actually NEED their upper plastics to look good. Never really come across your model. I like. Well done, sir. That an OEM gauge cluster or after market?

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #55
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
I think it's factory, it's just a random internet pic of the sv, jay should be able to answer that for you.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #56
CaliGrrl

Wow, AJ, I feel bad for that guy's bike, too. Long rides are awesome! I've only been riding about a year and a half, and I am so not anywhere near tired of my bike. I may not be confident to do absolutely everything I might otherwise like to do, especially if I will be going somewhere alone, but a girl needs to be cautious sometimes.

Old August 4th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #57
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Matter of fact that's probably the best looking "street fighter" style Suzuki sport bike I've ever seen. Like a CBR I've always thought GSXr's were the ugliest bikes that actually NEED their upper plastics to look good. Never really come across your model. I like. Well done, sir. That an OEM gauge cluster or after market?
Ha...Boulevard...not for me...

That is a stock SV650 gauge cluster for a 2004 "N" (naked) model. The next year they added a small bikini fairing that make the front look better IMO.

I have an '06n. I'd post a pic, but Photo****it took everything I had and I've not started reloading quite yet.

EDIT: This is mine last season -

Just added a new set of Pilot Power RSs, an Ohlins shock, Sonic fork springs, and Vesrah RJL pads. Pretty much set for a while.

Last futzed with by jkv45; August 4th, 2017 at 12:59 PM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #58
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
i rode this

and this

but the ninja is my new fave and is a joy to ride.

Old August 6th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #59
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
i rode this

and this

but the ninja is my new fave and is a joy to ride.

I've been jealous of your Ninja since the first time you posted a pic of her. I too am a fan of The Exploited and your use of their logo is genius.

Old August 6th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #60
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Ha...Boulevard...not for me...

That is a stock SV650 gauge cluster for a 2004 "N" (naked) model. The next year they added a small bikini fairing that make the front look better IMO.

I have an '06n. I'd post a pic, but Photo****it took everything I had and I've not started reloading quite yet.

EDIT: This is mine last season -

Just added a new set of Pilot Power RSs, an Ohlins shock, Sonic fork springs, and Vesrah RJL pads. Pretty much set for a while.
Beautiful

Old August 6th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #61
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Arrow

Quote:
Wow, AJ, I feel bad for that guy's bike, too. Long rides are awesome! I've only been riding about a year and a half, and I am so not anywhere near tired of my bike. I may not be confident to do absolutely everything I might otherwise like to do, especially if I will be going somewhere alone, but a girl needs to be cautious sometimes.
You seem like the type that will never grow tired of your girl. There's something special about a female and her bike. Truly.

Old August 6th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #62
CaliGrrl

Quote:
You seem like the type that will never grow tired of your girl. There's something special about a female and her bike. Truly.
So true.

Old August 7th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #63
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
@Misti you're my hero.
Ha! Thanks!!

Should have seen the last track day I did on a little Honda GROM

Got the stink eye taking it out into the Expert group until I passed some of the big bikes
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #64
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
That's really funny. How fast is that Grom? A friend of mine has put more money into modding his than it cost in the first place.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #65
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

If you ride a Ninja 250, you've got everybody beat when it comes to the "dollar to fun ratio". I was invited to go on a ride with some Harley owners awhile back. They were concerned that I wouldn't be able to keep up. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #66
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
That's really funny. How fast is that Grom? A friend of mine has put more money into modding his than it cost in the first place.
I don't think Honda will ever retire that little 1965 Super 90 engine. My first bike, bored and stroked to 125cc with a race camshaft. I could beat the Grom to death with it.

Bill

Old August 7th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #67
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You can't be sure what displacement a Grom is, Bill. My friend's is at least a 175 now, with race cam, bigger carb, and all kinds of crap. I think he said it'll do an honest 80.

Old August 7th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #68
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You can't be sure what displacement a Grom is, Bill. My friend's is at least a 175 now, with race cam, bigger carb, and all kinds of crap. I think he said it'll do an honest 80.
I just took at quick glance at it on the internet. They quoted 125cc. I do recognize that little engine though. I can't imagine getting 175 cc out of that cylinder and crankshaft but there have had to be some changes since 1965.

Why would your friend invest that much money in a puddle-jumper.

Bill

Old August 7th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #69
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It's not the same cylinder or crankshaft, or head, or exhaust, for that matter. I have no idea why he put so much into it, other than just for fun. He could have had an FZ-07 for the money.

Old August 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #70
DannoXYZ

The low-weight and handling makes for some serious fun!!!

Old August 7th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #71
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Agreed, although I know that from riding my street-converted DT100.

Old August 16th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #72
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Name: wendyjboss

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CBR 500RF (On its way), 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

The Ninja 250 can crank at higher rpms. That said, I did upgrade to a 500CC bike for the express purpose of highway riding. It gets quite hairy in Boston at rush hour, so it helps to have a bigger displacement bike that can kick up the speed when needed. I missed my Ninja for some time though and wish I could have both bikes!
wendyjboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #73
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
If you ride a Ninja 250, you've got everybody beat when it comes to the "dollar to fun ratio". I was invited to go on a ride with some Harley owners awhile back. They were concerned that I wouldn't be able to keep up. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Couple years ago had an old Army buddy and some friends show up in town for Rolling Thunder. I was on my Ninja 250, the were couples riding two up on Harley touring bikes. They were having trouble keeping up with me riding around town. At one point we stopped and one of the other guys asks me what size engine is that, a 600 or 750?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #74
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Couple years ago had an old Army buddy and some friends show up in town for Rolling Thunder. I was on my Ninja 250, the were couples riding two up on Harley touring bikes. They were having trouble keeping up with me riding around town. At one point we stopped and one of the other guys asks me what size engine is that, a 600 or 750?
I give you a-lot of credit attending Rolling Thunder on a "Rice Burner"

Bill

Old August 17th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #75
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
When bikers lose sight of their priorities..

Some clean their bikes more than ride them..

Some spend more time modifying than riding..
Same same for the car scene, when I had my old R33 Skyline I had spent a heap of coin on making it go, stop and handle, 500hp atw, lots of track days, drags, gymkhana and general thrashing around.

But, 50% of the other hi-po cars that I knew of, the owners never used them in anger,, occasionally they would come out off hiding for a show or a street cruise, comments like "theoretically my car can do a 10 sec quarter", "My car made 600hp on the dyno", and some other gold would always lighten my day.

Sure, some of the cars looked nice, but I cannot understand why you would build a car to that level, and never use it.

I love this quote, it fits so many platforms.

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Jim Glickenhaus (Ferrari Collector)
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #76
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
Same same for the car scene, when I had my old R33 Skyline I had spent a heap of coin on making it go, stop and handle, 500hp atw, lots of track days, drags, gymkhana and general thrashing around.

But, 50% of the other hi-po cars that I knew of, the owners never used them in anger,, occasionally they would come out off hiding for a show or a street cruise, comments like "theoretically my car can do a 10 sec quarter", "My car made 600hp on the dyno", and some other gold would always lighten my day.

Sure, some of the cars looked nice, but I cannot understand why you would build a car to that level, and never use it.

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Jim Glickenhaus (Ferrari Collector)
Enzo Ferrari built cars to be driven and enjoyed. In fact he was so good at it that the average slob couldn't afford to buy one and the older his cars got the more they were worth. Hence only very wealthy people like Donald Trump or Bill Gates can afford them. Want a 1962 Ferrari GTO (one of the most beautiful automobiles in the world)? Your ticket to ride will amount to over $38,115,000.00 USD - if anyone will part with one. The people that own cars like that own them for the bragging rights not for the enjoyment of driving them. What a shame.

Bill

Old August 18th, 2017, 03:51 AM   #77
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post

Very well said. Motorcycles are made to be ridden and to have fun with. I enjoy talking about them but that's why I come here. Talking only gets you so far.

Old August 27th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #78
Louboutin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: K

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

I guess since I am a small female...no one ever says anything to me about my Ninja 300...I like it- I'm too short and too small to get a larger bike...and I am ok with that...at least I ride...many people can't.
Louboutin is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 27th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #79
CaliGrrl

Welcome to the board! Yep, these bikes rock.

Old August 27th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #80
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louboutin View Post
I guess since I am a small female...no one ever says anything to me about my Ninja 300...I like it- I'm too short and too small to get a larger bike...and I am ok with that...at least I ride...many people can't.
Pretty much like my daughter's situation. She can't ride my other motorcycles because of her size. Even if she bought a bigger bike and lowered it, that wouldn't work out because she would hate the reduced cornering clearance.

Welcome to the board, K!