ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 17th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #1
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Tail Light

Does anyone know in what year Kawasaki last delivered a Ninja with three bulbs in the tail light assembly. My two outboard sockets/lights have a provision for bulbs and sockets but there are none. Cost cutting measure?

Bill

Old August 18th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #2
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
I not sure they ever did in the US (or anywhere else), but I put sockets in mine and turned them into tail lights and the turn signals.

Old August 18th, 2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I think most states require the turn signals to be farther away from the tail/brake like than the outer sections of that assembly. As Roger said, my impression is that the US versions never got anything in those outer chambers.

I added LEDs (no sockets) to mine and tried them as turn signals, but wasn't happy with the visibility of them, so I got separate amber LED signals and wired the outer tail light LEDs to the brake light. Now when using the brake, the brake light grows much wider and lights brightly, which I like a lot.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I think most states require the turn signals to be farther away from the tail/brake like than the outer sections of that assembly. As Roger said, my impression is that the US versions never got anything in those outer chambers.

I added LEDs (no sockets) to mine and tried them as turn signals, but wasn't happy with the visibility of them, so I got separate amber LED signals and wired the outer tail light LEDs to the brake light. Now when using the brake, the brake light grows much wider and lights brightly, which I like a lot.
Thanks Z1R and TJ. I think I found some sockets at a local auto parts store that will fit the 20mm hole in the outboard lights. I'm going to try some incandescent single contact bulbs and wire them into the brake light circuit. I'm glad to hear, Z1R, that the brake light switches can handle the extra load. I'm going to use 7.5W bulbs. I guess I can't let a good hole go to waste.

Thanks again.

Bill

Old August 18th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #5
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Thanks Z1R and TJ. I think I found some sockets at a local auto parts store that will fit the 20mm hole in the outboard lights. I'm going to try some incandescent single contact bulbs and wire them into the brake light circuit. I'm glad to hear, Z1R, that the brake light switches can handle the extra load. I'm going to use 7.5W bulbs. I guess I can't let a good hole go to waste.

Thanks again.

Bill
I didn't hook mine to the brake, just turn signal and running lights. Just used a dual element bulb and socket, I think the bulbs are 1157's.

Old August 18th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want...y_rear_sockets

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want...er_brake_light

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want...s_%26_contrast

I myself have gone the LEDs route, I have a 1157 80w Cree led in the tail/brake, and 1156 7.5w COB amber LEDs in the outer spaces for turn signals.

Below is an, example of the LEDs in sunlight

Also note the 2 small Cree LEDs under the licence plate which are tied into the brake light for added brightness and safety. And the Ninja logo in red reflective on the brake light itself for added visibility due to I did the fender chop, which does away with the OEM reflectors, so I added it to make up of their loss.

It's worth noting that it's not a change in brightness that effective, but it's a change of shape that's most effective, if your after safety then turn the two outer pods into brake lights as well, this will change the shape, and also the brightness. That's why I added the 2 smaller LEDs to the licence plate, kinda like a 3rd brake light.

Another option is adding a brake light modulator, which I have on both of my bikes
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Where_...brake_light%3F

There is law about the distance between the turn signals, which is no closer than 9", but if the cop is pulling you over for that, he's fishing for something bigger, or you've pissed him off, either way it's not going to end well. If the cops in your area are picking on bikes anyway, you might want to take that into consideration as well.

It's all about being seen, and attracting attention, which in the modern world is getting harder, and harder to do.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want...y_rear_sockets

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want...er_brake_light

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want...s_%26_contrast

I myself have gone the LEDs route, I have a 1157 80w Cree led in the tail/brake, and 1156 7.5w COB amber LEDs in the outer spaces for turn signals.

Below is an, example of the LEDs in sunlight

Also note the 2 small Cree LEDs under the licence plate which are tied into the brake light for added brightness and safety. And the Ninja logo in red reflective on the brake light itself for added visibility due to I did the fender chop, which does away with the OEM reflectors, so I added it to make up of their loss.

It's worth noting that it's not a change in brightness that effective, but it's a change of shape that's most effective, if your after safety then turn the two outer pods into brake lights as well, this will change the shape, and also the brightness. That's why I added the 2 smaller LEDs to the licence plate, kinda like a 3rd brake light.

Another option is adding a brake light modulator, which I have on both of my bikes
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Where_...brake_light%3F

There is law about the distance between the turn signals, which is no closer than 9", but if the cop is pulling you over for that, he's fishing for something bigger, or you've pissed him off, either way it's not going to end well. If the cops in your area are picking on bikes anyway, you might want to take that into consideration as well.

It's all about being seen, and attracting attention, which in the modern world is getting harder, and harder to do.
Very clever set-up Scott. Where did you get the clear lenses? No matter, I'm just turning my outboard light sockets into brake lights. I'm keeping my rear fender and stuff. Thanks for the info.

Bill

Old August 18th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Very clever set-up Scott. Where did you get the clear lenses? No matter, I'm just turning my outboard light sockets into brake lights. I'm keeping my rear fender and stuff. Thanks for the info.

Bill
Got them off eBay

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 18th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #9
Ram Jet

Quote:
Got them off eBay
That's really wild, eBay huh? Somebody must have access to injection molding equipment or they made a silicone rubber mold from an original lens and poured some sort of plastic resin into the mold. Regardless, pretty cool.

Bill

Old August 18th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
That's really wild, eBay huh? Somebody must have access to injection molding equipment or they made a silicone rubber mold from an original lens and poured some sort of plastic resin into the mold. Regardless, pretty cool.

Bill
Use to be a very common part years ago, but now that model hasn't been made in 10 years the aftermarket parts are drying up.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 18th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #11
Ram Jet

Quote:
Use to be a very common part years ago, but now that model hasn't been made in 10 years the aftermarket parts are drying up.
Just F.Y.I. the cam cover (cylinder head cover) is now unavailable for a new purchase. Not that much can go wrong with one.

On the model that used the clear light cover I wonder what the lights were used for? No matter I have no use for them.

Bill

Old August 18th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

Kawasaki never made clear lens, they are aftermarket made. In other countries the outer lens are deleted with just black plastic, not even the red lens.

GPX250 tail light note the lack of outer lens, also in some countries Kawasaki put amber lens in those spots, hence the holes for the sockets where these were used for turn signals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l225.jpg (6.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg s-l225 (1).jpg (6.0 KB, 35 views)

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 18th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #13
Ram Jet

Quote:
Kawasaki never made clear lens, they are aftermarket made. In other countries the outer lens are deleted with just black plastic, not even the red lens.

GPX250 tail light note the lack of outer lens, also in some countries Kawasaki put amber lens in those spots, hence the holes for the sockets where these were used for turn signals.
Great info Scott. My tail light is almost ready to go. When I was removing the tail light one of the nuts was corroded enough to twist the stud embedded in plastic. The light was removed with the stud and nut still sitting in the gromet on the frame. I used some heat to remove the nut, That's why I ALWAYS lubricate threads upon reassembly of anything. Anyway I used some JB Weld to secure the stud back into the tail light housing and JB'd the new light sockets into the tail light housing. I'll give it 12 hours to set-up pretty well and reinstall the light. I did test the unit and if anyone runs into the back of my bike they will have to be stinkin' drunk or asleep. Gawd, the brake light now is super BRIGHT!!!!

Bill

Old August 18th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Good deal, can't wait to see the pictures.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 19th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #15
Ram Jet

Quote:
Good deal, can't wait to see the pictures.
Pictures of my tail light? I think you're asking me for pictures - Ram Jet. If so it's a good time to ask. My light isn't installed yet so I can get you photos of the wiring and the light in operation if you want. If you weren't posting to me . . . never mind (as Lilly Tomlin would say).

Bill

Old August 19th, 2017, 04:19 AM   #16
Ghostt
in your machine

Pictures of when it's all done and working on the bike.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 19th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #17
Ram Jet

Quote:
Pictures of when it's all done and working on the bike.
OK, I'll wait till dark for dramatic effect.

Steven Spielberg here.

Old August 19th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #18
Ram Jet

Quote:
OK, I'll wait till dark for dramatic effect.

Steven Spielberg here.
Here ya go. The photo on the left is tail light only, on the right the brakes are applied.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (46.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (26.4 KB, 2 views)

Old August 19th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #19
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
That's what I was going for... brighter and bigger when brake applied. Very nice.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #20
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
That's what I was going for... brighter and bigger when brake applied. Very nice.
I installed the same bulbs that are in the turn signals. They are only 7.5 watts but I didn't want to install say 10w because I wasn't sure how much load the brake light switches could handle. I was driving me nuts having those two provisions for lights in the housing and nothing was being done with them. If someone runs into the back of me now it will have to be Stevie Wonder.

This is a quote from the instructions that came with my rear sets for my 1982 Honda FT500, "The makers of this kit want you to avoid a disease known as "Cadillacanalinsertus" - a malady afflicting motorcyclists without brake lights." I consider this preventive medicine.

Bill

Last futzed with by Ram Jet; August 20th, 2017 at 07:17 PM.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #21
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Looks great UB. Cars have no excuse not to see you breaking!

Old August 20th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #22
Ghostt
in your machine

Nicely done sir

ZX-2R BLOG