ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #1
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Torque Wrench

I know you get what you pay for, but since I don't have the $80 to drop on a Kobalt torque wrench, I was looking at the Pittsburgh one on Harbour Freight for $15. Does anyone have any experience with this one? All I'm expecting out of it is to be able to change my oil for winterization. If I can get the drain plug and filter on and it decides to break after that, then I won't have any problem. But I just wondered about any one else's thots on this item before taking the plunge.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

I would say yes if you're gonna use if for oil changes only. The cheaper ones will NOT be effective at lower torque values and should not be trusted....but for higher values for things like drain bolts...you should be fine! Good luck!
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #3
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Would the 14.5 ft/lbs (IIRC) for the drain plug and filter be considered low values?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #4
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Would the 14.5 ft/lbs (IIRC) for the drain plug and filter be considered low values?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes.

Save up and get a quality torque wrench.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

lol...I guess it's a matter of opinion. I'm sure DerTeufel has good intentions on recomending "only the best"...but in my opinion, for oil changes, you don't need an 80 dollar torque wrench. If used properly, the cheap ones can do values much less than that! (I've done Mercedes transmission pans with cheap ones that I believe were set at something ridiculous at 7 ft/lbs.) The trick is to choke almost all the way up on the torque wrench when tightening. But you won't need to do this for 14 ft/lbs! This is 2011...a product that BAD can't and will not be on the market!

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #6
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I've been using my Pittsburgh torque wrenches (1/2", 3/8", and 1/4") from Harbor Freight and they've been working well.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #7
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Saving up at this point is not an option. I have what I need, minus the wrench and filter. If I could save up the $80, I'd have a shop change my oil for me. Or I'd buy the kobalt and this thread wouldn't exist. LOL. Now if I needed a torque wrench to adjust my chain slack, I'd drop the money on a good one (which I plan on doing), but that will have to wait till later, and I can't wait till later to change the oil. That adjustment, I don't want to mess with. I don't want the tire falling off, but for a drain plug, I'm not that worried about it. As long as I don't strip the threads, and start whizzing a slick, I'll be happy. Thx all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #8
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Try a beam-type torque wrench. The issue with lots of cheaper click wrenches is the get 'uncalibrated' with improper storage and the like. Beam/pointer type torque wrenches are based of material properties, which are harder to 'uncalibrate.' They do take up more space, though.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #9
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

I may look into those too. I was reading the user-manual for the Pittsburgh click-type, and it said the reason a lot of them "uncalibrate" is because you're supposed to set it back to zero after using it. Was just curious, if despite following the instructions, if they tend to do that regardless.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #10
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal5646 View Post
lol...I guess it's a matter of opinion. I'm sure DerTeufel has good intentions on recomending "only the best"...but in my opinion, for oil changes, you don't need an 80 dollar torque wrench. If used properly, the cheap ones can do values much less than that! (I've done Mercedes transmission pans with cheap ones that I believe were set at something ridiculous at 7 ft/lbs.) The trick is to choke almost all the way up on the torque wrench when tightening. But you won't need to do this for 14 ft/lbs! This is 2011...a product that BAD can't and will not be on the market!
I dunno, I've come across a lot of junk that's on the market (and people buy them). Take for example those cheap Bilt and Sedici suits. They may appear to to do the job, but the material used and the way that they are put together is pretty poor.

Perhaps I am a bit opinionated because I have been working as a mechanic for the last 20 some-odd years and got burnt by "budget" tools that failed when I needed them to function. For the hobbyist, the Harbor Freight torque wrench may indeed work fine. I wouldn't expect it to be accurate though.

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
This is 2011...a product that BAD can't and will not be on the market!
Mmmmm..........no.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Saving up at this point is not an option. I have what I need, minus the wrench and filter. If I could save up the $80, I'd have a shop change my oil for me. Or I'd buy the kobalt and this thread wouldn't exist. LOL. Now if I needed a torque wrench to adjust my chain slack, I'd drop the money on a good one (which I plan on doing), but that will have to wait till later, and I can't wait till later to change the oil. That adjustment, I don't want to mess with. I don't want the tire falling off, but for a drain plug, I'm not that worried about it. As long as I don't strip the threads, and start whizzing a slick, I'll be happy. Thx all.
Posted via Mobile Device
So that you could pay them again every time you need to get your oil changed?
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #13
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

You forgot to highlight the sentence after that, too. It was 2 examples of what I could do IF I could scrape together the $80. My point was that I could afford the cheapo wrench and change the oil now, because it needs to be done now, not by the time I have the $80 set aside for the good one.

So to answer your question, I would pay them now, so its done now, and worry about doing it myself in the future, if that's how I wanted to go about it. Not saying I do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Monkey Wrench Cycles
Motorcycle repair

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja ZX6-RR, '08 GY6 scooter for wife, '02 Shadow ACE, '05 Buell Blast

Quote:
I personally wouldn't waste my money on a HF torque wrench. They are notoriously out of spec and if the only thing you want to torque is the drain plug just tighten with a 1/4" Ratchet and make it snug. Harder to over torque with a smaller ratchet but you can still get to 14ft lbs with it.

I wouldn't even consider an $80 torque wrench anywhere near "only the best". The last one I bought was a snap-on that cost me around $300... Granted I own a shop and when your tools are your life I need it but the normal garage mechanic only needs a craftsman, which is the brand I recommend.

Seriously!? You think that a really bad product can't be sold in this day and age? Have you ever been to harbor freight..?
Monkey Wrench Cycles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #15
Monkey Wrench Cycles
Motorcycle repair

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja ZX6-RR, '08 GY6 scooter for wife, '02 Shadow ACE, '05 Buell Blast

Also, most auto parts stores have tools that are free to rent. I would check and see if they have any torque wrenches for rent

www.monkeywrenchmotorcycles.com
Monkey Wrench Cycles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #16
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench Cycles View Post
I personally wouldn't waste my money on a HF torque wrench. They are notoriously out of spec and if the only thing you want to torque is the drain plug just tighten with a 1/4" Ratchet and make it snug. Harder to over torque with a smaller ratchet but you can still get to 14ft lbs with it.

I wouldn't even consider an $80 torque wrench anywhere near "only the best". The last one I bought was a snap-on that cost me around $300... Granted I own a shop and when your tools are your life I need it but the normal garage mechanic only needs a craftsman, which is the brand I recommend.

Seriously!? You think that a really bad product can't be sold in this day and age? Have you ever been to harbor freight..?
This. Buy quality tools.

Old September 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #17
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench Cycles View Post

Lol...we actually agree with eachother...you dont even know it! The OP asked if he can do OIL CHANGES with a cheapo torque wrench. You and the other guy are like my wife! Forget about what were actually talking about and let's hang on one detail to "disagree" lol.

For the record, I don't even use a torque wrench when doing oil changes! And If you think those monkeys at jiffy lube or any shop ofthe sort uses one to torque to your vehicles exact specifications....well LOL. If the drain plug and filter REQUIRED exact values....do you know how much oil would be spilled in the middle of the streets on a daily basis?

NOW...back to THE TOPIC...for an average Joe...a cheap torque wrench is better than a ratchet for the simple fact that a person that doesn't do the task regularly might get a little over-aggressive when putting the bolt back in!

HE WANTS TO DO OIL CHANGES!!! NOTHING ELSE! You're telling me that there is a torque wrench currently on the market that isn't capable of oil changes? Please show me...lol