Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Greenaero's Ninja Hypermiling project

Hi All, I started competing in fuel economy competitions last year sponspored by motorcycle designer Craig Vetter. After competing in the 11/2011 Las Vegas to Barstow Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge, I thought a lot about my future participation in these real-world fuel economy contests. While I'm pleased to have improved a 40mpg bike ( 1982 Yamaha Vision 550 )into a 60mpg+ machine I have to recognize the inherent disadvantages my Vision ( 550cc, shaft-drive ) presents versus the 250cc gas bikes and the diesel bikes that have been the previous Vetter Challenge winners ( 134 mpg to ~ 157 mpg). I decided to start looking for a used 250cc bike to modify for future fuel economy runs.
After about 2 weeks of searching I found a 1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250 in good running condition for a good price and well under my project budget. It was a salvaged bike and so I had to have it inspected by the police and the engine and frame #s verified to get it titled and registered for street usage.

I adjusted the valve clearances, sparkplug gap, cleaned and re-oiled the air filter and changed the oil and filter. I topped off the tank and rode it around running errands for a few days before doing my first official mpg calculation: 65 mpg.
12/31/2011- I rode with Alan Smith( Ninja 250 streamliner, 116 mpg best ) and another stock 2008 Ninja 250 as well as a Triumph 1100 and a BMW
1200. We topped off our tanks at the start of ride and refueled at the end of the ride 126.7 miles later. The ride was at a spirited pace on twisty backroads on a cold day with with about 20 freeway miles on the way back. Alan got 89.47 mpg, the 2008 ninja got 62.1 mpg and I got 72.8 mpg. I was pleased with how the bike runs and how well it handles. It was interesting to compare the 2 stock ninjas with Alan's to see how effective his modifications are. I'm pleased to already have beaten my best tankfill on my Vision 550cc ( 66.8 mpg) .
Now that I had my baseline I was ready to start my modications. I began with some aerodymic modifications: larger windscreen , fully faried front fender, changed to a lower seat pad and a small strap-on tailsection. I got a best tankfill of 76 mpg.
Next I changed my front and rear sprockets from 14/45 to 15/41. I also modified the tail section so it was taller and came to a point in the back. I will be refueling soon and will post the results. CHeck out photos my bike on the gatllery .

I realize many people are currently not interested in fuel economy but I believe that as the price of fuel increases this will change. I hope to help to others who are interested in getting great fuel economy out of these excellent motorcycles. I'm doing this because I think its important for all us to do our part to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and to efficiently use our limited natural resources. This is my personal contrbution in reducing the flow of American dollars to the sponsors of terrorism. I believe we all can make a positive difference.
best wishes, Greenaero

Last futzed with by greenaero; January 29th, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: grammar
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2
jp129
ninjette.org member

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Sounds very thorough, good luck with the testing. Look forward to seeing the results!
jp129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

thanks JP129, I hope to break into the 80 mpg or better range with my current mods. Next steps will probably be taller gearing and more areodynamic refinements. I'll definitely keep you posted.
thx GA

Old January 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
you want to go even higher gearing than 15/41?? dude
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #5
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Hi, Yes, The streamlining I've added reduces the aerodynamic drag so that the engine doesn't have to work as hard at freeway speeds, allowing much taller gearing. Even with the 15/41 gearing, acceleration is still pretty good. I will probably try a 15/39 combo next. I have another hypermiler friend ( Alan Smith) with a streamlined 2003 Ninja that is currently running a 15/37 combo and is going to try running a 15/33 combo. He has a best tankfill of 116 mpg.

Old January 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #6
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
I realize many people are currently not interested in fuel economy but I believe that as the price of fuel increases this will change.
Not true at all. I am getting a bike for this reason. I currently have a 30 MPG car, but I want to double that. I think a lot of people in Cali get a bike for the gas reason. They are just so fuel efficient and our gas here is the highest in the country.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #7
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Hi, Yes, The streamlining I've added reduces the aerodynamic drag so that the engine doesn't have to work as hard at freeway speeds, allowing much taller gearing. Even with the 15/41 gearing, acceleration is still pretty good. I will probably try a 15/39 combo next. I have another hypermiler friend ( Alan Smith) with a streamlined 2003 Ninja that is currently running a 15/37 combo and is going to try running a 15/33 combo. He has a best tankfill of 116 mpg.

Old January 29th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #8
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

AJ, I'm glad you get it and hopefully many will be interested in getting great fuel economy. While motorcycles generally get better fuel economy than most cars and trucks they don't perform particularly well when compared to well designed small cars due to the motorcycle's high aerodydamic drag compared to a car and their high-revving, top-end oriented power bands.
Some hybrids and small cars can get 50+mpg to 40 mpg. Most motorcycles get mid 40's mpg. Many elite hypermiler driven cars ( 50 to 80 mpg can trounce the average motorcyclist's fuel economy numbers.
By attacking the motorcycle's aero drag and high engine rpms we can begin to catch some of the gains that cars have made in recent years.
I now ride more than I drive. I don't want to go at a snail's pace just to get good fuel economy numbers. In the Vetter Challenges we seek to develop motorcycles that can go 70mph into a 30 mph headwind, get over 100 mpg and can carry 4 bags of groceries. These goals make for motorcycles that are more than justing sporting toys but are practical for everyday transportation use.
best wishes GA

Last futzed with by greenaero; February 4th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.

Old January 29th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
@RacerX does similar aero stuff. his goal is a little bit different though. interesting stuff none the less. welcome home capn.

Old January 29th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #10
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
In the Vetter Challenges we seek to design motorcycles that can go 70mph into a 30 mph headwind, get over 100 mpg and can carry 4 bags of groceries. These goals make for motorcycles that are more than justing sporting toys but are practical for everyday transportation use.
Interesting. Sounds like the ASME human powered vehicle challenge here at ONU.

I will keep my opinions of the 15/37 gearing on a sport bike that boasts 14 lb-ft of torque to myself because we obviously have very different views of what we want out of this bike. To each his own sir

Definitely a cool project I'll keep reading about your results

Old January 30th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #11
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Vic,

Great to have you here. Is Alan a member, too?

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress as you make the mods. Project threads like these serve as a good reference for others wanting to hypermile. Don't forget to include photos and lots of detail! Or perhaps you and Alan could come in here with a "DIY: Hypermile your Ninjette" thread to more specifically show others how to make the needed mods. I'd love to get some tips on riding technique to improve MPG as well.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #12
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks guys!
Chris, you are correct that the changes I am making will decrease the bike's accelleration capability. I define " adequate accelleration "as still being quicker than most cars. That is the point at which I'll stop gearing up.

The only downside to the aero mods is the change in appearance and increased sensitivity to sidewinds. The upside is greater fuel efficieny , comfort, weather protection, carrying capacity, and top speed capability.

When I was a young man ( I'm 60) I was into going fast all the time. After a few slide outs and traffic tickets I started to understand that there are seroius consequences to breaking traffic laws and the laws of physics. I tried racing briefly but lacked the money and commitment to pursue it fully. The racetrack is the place is enjoy speed and ride at your limits safely. Over time, I learned to enjoy motorcycling without pushing it all the time. I still am a competitive and inquistive person and found the challenges I was seeking in hypermiling. I am now very interested in getting more people taking action to improve their fuel economy.
Floyd, I don't think Alan is a member here. He is one of the premier motorcycle hypermilers in the world and besides becoming a great friend to me, is a very knowledgeable, a great fabricator and generous in sharing his knowledge. He doesn't post much as he usually too busy working on his projects. For information on his current work check out the Vetter website ( www.craigvetter.com ) in the Streamlining the Ninja chapters. I plan to write an article about him and his accomplishments and I will post a copy here.
I'll also be happy to write an article on motorcycle hypermiling and post it here for those that are interested.
all the best GA ( Vic)

Old January 30th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
"DIY: Hypermile your Ninjette" thread to more specifically show others how to make the needed mods. I'd love to get some tips on riding technique to improve MPG as well.
That would be an interesting thread. For an every day rider, some tips on how to get a few extra mpg would be good

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #14
ryanG19
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r Candy Apple Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Interesting. Sounds like the ASME human powered vehicle challenge here at ONU.

I will keep my opinions of the 15/37 gearing on a sport bike that boasts 14 lb-ft of torque to myself because we obviously have very different views of what we want out of this bike. To each his own sir

Definitely a cool project I'll keep reading about your results
Wait, ONU as in Ohio Northern University? Guess who is a P4???
ryanG19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@ryanG19 Hell yes as in Ohio Northern!! You on Campus? There's a red '08 here too, dunno who it is. Just checked the member map. You're only like a half hour from from campus. Not fair. I'm 2.5

recognize the view

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #16
ryanG19
ninjette.org member

Yeah I was on the first floor Freshman year. There's a Red one, a custom Orange one, and my green one are the only 3 I've seen. I live off campus now though. My old roommate and best friend Joey B, is an officer in SME. Small world.

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The burnt orange one? I saw that on craigslist in the fall. I'm debating bringing my bike once it warms up because I don't have a car, but I dunno.

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #18
ryanG19
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The burnt orange one? I saw that on craigslist in the fall. I'm debating bringing my bike once it warms up because I don't have a car, but I dunno.
Sorry for the thread jack. Chris I started a group ride thread so we can talk there.

Old January 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #19
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

No problemo bro!

I filled up this afternoon after running some errands and the results are ....
78.47 mpg ( 2.35 gal for 184.4 miles) So close to 80 mpg. The taller gearing is working great, still good acceleration and I think some room to go taller. I have GreenJoe's 33 tooth rear sprocket but I think that might be too much, plus I would have to shorten my chain or get a new one. I may see if about testing Alan Smith's 39T that offered to let use. I need to talk to Craig Vetter about getting the third Vetter tail mounted on my bike. Things are looking up.

Old January 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #20
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Seeing that yall are going for the best mileage, what changes in riding style did yall do to achieve this mileage? What is your cruising speed on the open highway?

Old January 30th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #21
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

I plan on writing an article on riding techniques to get optimal fuel economy. I usually ride at the speed limit ( 65mph to 70 mph) sometimes faster if the traffic demands it. In a few words, its all about using the least amount of energy to get to your target speed then maintaining your speed, using your brakes as little as possible by looking far ahead down the road; avoiding the starts and stops that eat up lots of fuel. To get to speed I accelerate moderately but shift quickly at the low end of the powerband ( 4-6K rpm)and get into the highest gear that the bike will cruise comfortably at the target speed. I corner smoothly at high speeds to conserve my momentum. Its kind of like racing a tobaggan or a soapbox derby car ; using your forward motion to the maximum before you replenish it by opening the throttle. Its all about paying attention to all the details all the time just as you would if you trying to go fast as you could all the time. Only hypermiling is safer, and saves your bike and your hard-earned dollars. Hope this helps.

Old January 31st, 2012, 08:09 AM   #22
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Lose 20 lb. from your body would probably help.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:04 AM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Lose 20 lb. from your body would probably help.

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:11 AM   #24
"A"
vampire

What, you don't agree that rider loosing 20 lb. can affect fuel consumption?

What does your previous post have to contribute to the subject of thread topic?

What do any of your posts have to contribute to better fuel economy in this thread?

who's the now?

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:47 AM   #25
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Talking

I agree with A's premise it's just in my case I'm a very fit 5'10, 147 lb. Nothing but spring steel and tiger meat! :0

Weight reduction for both vehicle and rider are beneficial, particularly for very light vehicles like our motorcycles. It's not as big a factor as aerodynamic drag or mechanical friction losses but still another area to pursue. I should wiegh my bike. I have removed the stock seat, windscreen , front fender , rear fender, tailsection and plastic sidepanels. I replaced them with my coroplast streamlining which is pretty light weight. I suspect my ninja weighs about the same as stock or at least within 10 lbs.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:31 AM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
What, you don't agree that rider loosing 20 lb. can affect fuel consumption?
I never said it wouldn't because we all know it will, but telling someone to lose weight is rude.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:46 AM   #27
"A"
vampire

Quote:
I never said it wouldn't because we all know it will, but telling someone to lose weight is rude.
It's a valid, honest option and one that's most commonly overlooked... If you don't like it, don't do it; at least it's related to the topic of thread vs your useless post.

Old January 31st, 2012, 01:36 PM   #28
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
I agree with A's premise it's just in my case I'm a very fit 5'10, 147 lb. Nothing but spring steel and tiger meat! :0

Weight reduction for both vehicle and rider are beneficial, particularly for very light vehicles like our motorcycles. It's not as big a factor as aerodynamic drag or mechanical friction losses but still another area to pursue. I should wiegh my bike. I have removed the stock seat, windscreen , front fender , rear fender, tailsection and plastic sidepanels. I replaced them with my coroplast streamlining which is pretty light weight. I suspect my ninja weighs about the same as stock or at least within 10 lbs.
Interesting comment. Looking at the picture of your bike, my first thought was about the weight costs of the streamlining, and more specifically the tradeoff in weight vs. aerodynamics. You've made up for it by pulling other components, but more generally, it makes me wonder how much improvement in one is worth how much damage to the other.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #29
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

104 mpg !!!

I refilled the Ninja today and the results are .... 104.35 mpg!!!!!
Needless to say , I'm very happy with this and am suprised that I was able to break the 100 mpg barrier so quickly. I was hoping for a tankfill in the 80mpg range and now this. I have mentioned in previous posts I was impressed with how easily the bike was running with the 15/41 sprocket combo and I was looking to bump it up some more. I thought I would need to do this to break into the 100mpg range. What a pleasant surprise.

Thanks to you all for your support, advice and encouragement. It means a great deal to me and I truly appreciate it.
GreenAero

Old February 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #30
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Very cool!!!

is this just off of one tank? Are you going to try and get even better by going with that 15/39 setup?

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #31
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
We need better photos of this bike . please !
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #32
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks Chris! Yes , this tankfill I went 194.1 miles and needed 1.86 galllons to refill for 104.35 mpg. I was hoping for a tankfill average in the 80-90mpg range so this is a big surprise. I knew I would break the 100mpg barrier, I just didn't think I would do so fast or with so little effort.
I will be going for taller gearing to see what the Ninja will do with it for extracting maximum fuel economy. But its good to know that I can get in the 100's with 15/41 gearing. It still accelerates OK for me and will be more fun to ride around with 15/33 gearing.

all the best, GA

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #33
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
15/33? I bet you're going to have to get a shorter chain

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #34
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Chris, yes, I'll need a shorter chain for the 33T sprocket.

RacerX, I posted some with my profile. I need to learn how to include them in a post. My bike looks pretty ugly compared to some of beautiful bikes here. I just started modding my bike and haven't spent any time getting it to look better. For me it's function over form. If you want to send me a PM, I'll be happy to send you some pix. Someone mentioned that you were doing some aerodynamic modifications also. I assume for going faster? My mods are similar to what Land Speed Record competitors use on their bikes.
all the best, GA

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #35
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I see only beauty in the small photo of your bike. 100 mpg is hi performance in my book. My bike gets like 10 -20 mpg maybe,
I like what you have done. totally illegal for land speed racing. So it is out there without restrictions.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #36
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks brother ! Let's see if these pix come thru OK. The group pix are from the ride I did with Alan Smith ( Ninja streamliner with Craig Vetter tail) and a stock 2008 new gen. This was just before I added my mods and was my last baseline mileage run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninja V1 004.jpg (130.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (37.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Ninja V1 005.jpg (140.7 KB, 91 views)

Old February 5th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #37
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Fresh pictures from this morning showing side and front profiles with rider on aboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104 mpg Ninja 250 001.jpg (97.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 104 mpg Ninja 250 002.jpg (97.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 104 mpg Ninja 250 003.jpg (76.3 KB, 50 views)

Old February 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #38
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Why use a 15T sprocket instead of a 16T? Makes it a lots easier to switch without changing chains. Or are you trying to save weight from chain and sprockets? As far as weight goes, there's about 40 pounds to be lost with a lithium battery and cf exhaust...but good luck finding a light exhaust that helps with fuel economy! I can't really see weight mattering much unless there are a lot of hills, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #39
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Hi Skippi, A 16T front sprocket is too big to use without grinding away some clearance, at least that is what my research says. I'm into reversible modifications plus I already have access to smaller rear sprockets ( 39T, 37 T and 33 T) .
The weight change would be too small to make a noticeable in fuel economy. I would'nt mind a single can exhaust system but I don't want something that is going increase horsepower at the cost of fuel economy. The battery that came with the bike is pretty small already. The stock pre-gen Ninja is already a pretty light bike ( 304 lbs. dry).
Another factor is cost. If I have to spend hundreds of dollars to save fuel I have to look at the return on ivestment to achieve it. I started this project as a demonstration of how a low cost motrcycle with low cost modifications could return world class fuel economy. So far I've onlty invested about $850, including the cost of the motorcycle.
Excellent questions, thanks for asking.
all the best GA

Old February 6th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
$850 total??? ha. ummm I'd rather not discuss how much I've spent on my bike