ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Mizono is a Bad Influence

So Mizono and I went for a ride on our Ninjettes today. He suggested heading toward the city as one of his neighbors works at a BMW bike shop up there, so off we went.

Next door to the BMW shop is a Suzuki shop, so we thought we'd look around. One of the sales people said that since we clearly had our motorcycle licenses, he'd let us take a couple of the bikes out for a spin, so I took the Gixxer 600 since I heard it was rather comfy, and Mizono took the R6.

We both fell in love with the bikes. Drove around some side streets, then down to the highway where we passed a couple of semis with ease. We both felt rather planted in the bikes, stable, with minimal wind resistance. What I liked about the Gixxer is it's mode selection so you can tone down the throttle response. Only thing I didn't like was how low the grips were, but that could be fixed.

I honestly can't see why anyone wants an engine bigger than a 600 for the street... it felt perfect.

Well thanks Dave, now I want a Gixxer. You're a bad friend, you know that? $3000 to go on my Ninjette... debating if I want to pay it off today or by October...
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #2
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Yeah, my first time on a 600 was definitely an eye opening experience. And the ninja felt like a moped after. lol

How long you been on the 250?
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

April... so 3 months and 4000 miles

The whole ride back I was like "I can pass this... no... no I can't... ok I can get by this one... nope... darnit Dave!"

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

LMAO hey im a totally good friend. I got us out on two SS bikes with no chaperone and you got to test out a Gixxer to see how one really was. Besides theres no WAY in a frozen hell im gettin a R6 anytime soon.

Now on a serious note Steve is right these bikes felt so much more stable on the highway it was crazy. And to those who wanna start on a 600.....fing MORONS!!!! The R6 has no mode selector so i had everything the bike could give available and it was ALOT. If youve never ridden a 600 SS its a wicked experience but you really have to pay attention and the bikes were a tad intimidating. But it was a blast!!!

oh and YOUR WELCOME hahahaha
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #5
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizono View Post
LMAO hey im a totally good friend. I got us out on two SS bikes with no chaperone
sounds like a good friend to me
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
See Caps appreciates my effort LMAO!!!

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #7
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

When it my turn?
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Michaeldphotography
ninjette.org member

Name: Mook

Motorcycle(s): SUZUKI GS500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
What I liked about the Gixxer is it's mode selection so you can tone down the throttle response. Only thing I didn't like was how low the grips were, but that could be fixed.
How did handling the GSXR in C mode compare to handling your ninja? I just found out about the drive mode. its making me really wonder if that makes it more sensible for a new rider. I have been riding the honda cbr 250 for about a month, taken the msf class and looking to buy a ninja in 3 weeks but the drive mode has me thinking. whats you guys opinion.

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldphotography View Post
How did handling the GSXR in C mode compare to handling your ninja? I just found out about the drive mode. its making me really wonder if that makes it more sensible for a new rider. I have been riding the honda cbr 250 for about a month, taken the msf class and looking to buy a ninja in 3 weeks but the drive mode has me thinking. whats you guys opinion.
Wait longer....its still a 600cc SS bike. I was on the R6 with NO drive modes and had to pay VERY close attention to what i did. I didn't try the Gixxer but i wouldn't move to one after only a month of riding. Plus its handling is way different. its ALOT heavier. Just my .02

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Michaeldphotography
ninjette.org member

Name: Mook

Motorcycle(s): SUZUKI GS500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizono View Post
Wait longer....its still a 600cc SS bike. I was on the R6 with NO drive modes and had to pay VERY close attention to what i did. I didn't try the Gixxer but i wouldn't move to one after only a month of riding. Plus its handling is way different. its ALOT heavier. Just my .02
that def makes sense. Id have to wait a while longer anyway due to price. the ninja is so affordable. thanks for the input. I love the way that gsxr looks especially in the blue and white. I always liked the r6 but it seems more race like than some of the others as far as handling from what i hear.

Old July 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Don't support him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldphotography View Post

Don't get me wrong, there is STILL a bunch of pick-up and go even in C-mode to where I was still apprehensive at taking off with any kind of speed from a stoplight. However, on our way back to the dealership I put in in B-mode for the on-ramp and that ALONE was a huge jump in performance, to where even though I didn't pop a wheelie, I still had to hang on. Plus, you can cruise around in JUST 1st gear... or 2nd if you don't want to be obnoxiously loud. At 80mph on the highway, I was only in 3rd gear.

I didn't notice too much difference in low speed handling, though at highway speeds the Ninja is more 'flickable', without a doubt. We didn't do any twisties though... no... Dave thought a quick like 20 minute jaunt was enough

*Goes back to Mint.com to figure out finances....*

Old July 12th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Mizono
ninjette.org member

LMAO i think the 20 minute ride was MORE than enough. Any more and i wouldn't have taken the dang thing back. See i noticed a difference in low speed handling on the R6. It just felt BIGGER i dunno. It was fun either way.

Old July 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #13
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

3rd gear at 80? you must have been screaming
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Oh yes it was. I could have gone in higher gears in everything, but honestly whats the fun?

Though the clutch friction zone is noticeably less than the Ninja. I stalled it in the parking lot before we left because I didn't know how much wiggle room I had, and didn't want to pop a wheeling first thing. Though it didn't take long to adjust to it at all.

Shifting is different as well, as the shifter (and brake) are smaller and in a much different position when compared to the Ninja.