ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 21st, 2010, 08:19 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Errr...can we torque ?

The DIY forum is so well done that I've decided to start wrenching.
And my first purchase will be a torque wrench. Webbike world writes up the Precision Instruments C2R100F as it's current fave...OK. Located it at Mechanics Tool Supply for $127.99+ freight.
The question is...given that I have metric sockets that are 1/4, 3/8 and a few 1/2 drives...will using a drive adaptor cause inaccurate readings on the wrench. The C2R100F is avail in 3/8 and 1/2...I have craftsman sockets and adaptors.
Also...I've seen torque values expressed in inch pounds as well as foot pounds....is there a formula to convert to foot pounds ?
Thank you in advance
eddie K
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:08 AM   #2
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

just multiply by 12 for inch to ft lbs. the extensions and adaptors should not invalidate your readings - the good thing about having multiple sizes are the ranges
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:39 AM   #3
eddiekay

thanks SN

...better to ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake...so if the book says 120 inch pounds....that's 10 foot pounds ?
Ran across a DIY calling for 94 inch pounds,,,I guess ...set the wrench @ 8lbs

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:48 AM   #4
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

indeed
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM   #5
kkim

Just be aware that torque wrenches get very finicky about reading correctly/clicking at the low end of their respective scales. My 3/8" drive wrench is kinda "iffy" at 8ft/lbs, so I use a 1/4" drive wrench in inch pounds for those low values.

While getting a good wrench is important, I went with 3 cheapy wrenches that covered all my bases from Harbor Freight. The main thing is to use the wrenches as opposed to not using one and guessing at how tight things should be. Even a cheapy wrench will get you close to the correct value, if not right on.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:12 AM   #6
eddiekay

KK...good strategy for an experiened mechanic. I can get 3 HF wrenches for 1/2 the price of the C2r100F. Yet, I have no experience. Quick check of HF Pittsburgh T wrenches on other forums yielded little positive comments.
I believe I will go with the $127 wrench, use drive adaptors and maybe spring for the HF 1/4" inch-pound wrench. Noobies like me tend to buy too many tools too soon and i don't want to buy stuff till I need it AND feel competent to use them.

Old January 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
KK...good strategy for an experiened mechanic. I can get 3 HF wrenches for 1/2 the price of the C2r100F. Yet, I have no experience. Quick check of HF Pittsburgh T wrenches on other forums yielded little positive comments.
I believe I will go with the $127 wrench, use drive adaptors and maybe spring for the HF 1/4" inch-pound wrench. Noobies like me tend to buy too many tools too soon and i don't want to buy stuff till I need it AND feel competent to use them.
Exact, accurate torque isn't that crucial on most things on your bike and a cheapo torque wrench would work (for the most part it will keep you from over tightening things, which is the most common problem people have). I rarely use a torque wrench on my bikes but I do if I'm tightening things like head bolts, bearing caps, etc and then I use a very accurate torque wrench because I want each fastener to have equal/exact torque on it. I don't suggest a 1/4" drive torque wrench, get your inch-pound torque wrench in 3/8' drive. 1/4" drive tools (especially cheap brands) deflect too much and so using an extension on the torque wrench will end up with a kaddywompus torque.

Old January 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Exact, accurate torque isn't that crucial on most things on your bike and a cheapo torque wrench would work (for the most part it will keep you from over tightening things, which is the most common problem people have). I rarely use a torque wrench on my bikes but I do if I'm tightening things like head bolts, bearing caps, etc and then I use a very accurate torque wrench because I want each fastener to have equal/exact torque on it. I don't suggest a 1/4" drive torque wrench, get your inch-pound torque wrench in 3/8' drive. 1/4" drive tools (especially cheap brands) deflect too much and so using an extension on the torque wrench will end up with a kaddywompus torque.
+1

I have a 1/2 and 3/8 torque wrench. A combination of both will be just enough for what you need to do on this bike.
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" wrenches. They were not terribly expensive. They also get used a lot. Remember to slacken them up after you use them (Return to Zero). Definitely a wise choice if you plan on wrenching.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM   #10
eddiekay

took some good advice

Followed KK's and SA leads...Harbor Fr in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2...er..what size is the axle nut...yeah, checked...only have PART of a craftsman set in the garage
thanks for help guys, maybe i'll post pics of my bleeding knuckles in a week or so