ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old November 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #1
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

Thumbs up Short finger glove advise.

Heya gang. Here's my problem. I have normal to large sized hands/palms, but very short fingers. So almost all gloves are either way too long for me, or I can't mash my hands into 'em. And when I google for "Short finger gloves" I come up with those gloves with the fingers cut off.

Does anyone know of any brands that just run their fingers short? I've already tried on all the womans riding gloves I could find locally thinking one of them may do, but they are mostly too small for the meatus of my hand.

I altered a pair myself, but it turned out kinda funky. I still wear 'em, but their kinda odd.

Or will any companies that you know of make custom gloves? It would be a BIG bonus if I could find some HEATED gloves that actually fit.

It's my pinkies and thumbs that are especially R-Tarded. And now that I'm getting better on the bike, the pinkie is shaping up to be quit not as important as I had thought. But the left thumb has lots of jobs that need dexterity.

Kk, TIA ya'll.
Chris

Edit: Btw, I searched and found the thread from March, but I'm hoping that maybe someone else will see this post, or a new glove will have come out or some such. Anyone actually try those held gloves from new egg? I'm just VERY leary of ording clothing online.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Get a pair one size too small. Get them wet then force them on and wear them around ... repeat this a few different times and they will either stretch out for you or fall apart. Oh, and maybe go for a more textile glove with leather palms vs a full leather glove. Of all my gloves, I have only purchased one pair of Alpinestars ... and I didn't know A's run a size small. This is how I 'forced' them to fit. YMMV
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #3
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

Hmm, I hadn't thought of stretching leather. That may actually work. How is leather for cold/wet/windy weather? I know you can get water repelling sprays, but do they really work? And are a good pair of leather gloves as warm as textile winter gloves?

I actually have a pair of gloves I LOVE, but their yard gloves and largely spandex. But man, they fit SOoooo good. Too bad we can't buy spray on armor.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Did I see you in a burger commercial?

Old November 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Hiya.

Information: Redundant

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that my Tourmaster gloves shrank a little over time so that may not be a brand to buy if you are aiming for a size too small.

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 11th, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #6
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

My gloves felt tight at first when making a fist and I could feel the ends of the finger seams but they stretched over time and now they fit perfectly. OR you could always stuff something in there
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #7
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Hey, I had a similar problem but inverse. I had a small palm but long fingers. And I am hoping that the tips of the gloves for the fingers stretch a bit.

edit: yay my 400th post!
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Check out Lee Parks Design.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/

I've got these and I love them. They're deerskin, so they do stretch as they break in. They might do customization for you too.... they do repairs, so they ma well be willing to shorten the fingers.

Their size chart (a diagram of your hand) is spot-on accurate.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #9
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

The RS Taichi gloves I use accomodate this issue for me. Shorter fingered gloves and a very comfortable palm fit. I love my mesh for summer and perforated leather for colder weather.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have very large hands. Until I found some nice motorcycle gloves---at the dealer, I wore Carhartt Work Gloves. I still use them.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM   #11
cole
ninjette.org newbie

Name: cole

Motorcycle(s): bmw r1200rt; bmw r1100rl

Thumbs up Short Finger Gloves

I have a similiar problem and just purchased a pair of Held Nero gloves. They offer short, regular and long finger sizing. I was actually able to "size up" with the short finger option. They feel like they are custom made for me. These gloves also offer significant protection with "cast" knuckle protection. Also, Vanson used to offer custom made gloves, but no longer do this. They will, however, alter regular gloves and shorten finger lengths. I have not done this, but Vanson stands behind their products, so I would think they would they would guarantee their work. It's nice to see that there are beginning to be product offerings for folks like us!
cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM   #12
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Did I see you in a burger commercial?