ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
NismoAce
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Abad

Motorcycle(s): 250R

2012 250 bucking at high rpm

Hello all. First I want to thank everyone for being such a strong community full of knowledge. I have read wiki and write ups galor on here. I feel as my issue has not been reported exactly and I am also looking for advice on what to do next.

I have a 2012 250r with 2000 miles on it. I bought it new about 3 months ago. One day she was running fine and the other day I get a bucking issue that is random and around the 8k to 12k range. It is a surging feeling and at times it feels as I am going to get thrown off the bike. Also the bike will not go above 70 at all. When I get to 70mph it feels like I hit a wall and if I give it even more throttle it actually gets slower. I did check the spark plugs for a rich or lean condition per forums and the plugs are normal.

I took the bike to the dealer I got it from to take care of the issue. Left it with them for a few days and they said they couldnt find anything wrong and even drained some fuel out of the fuel bowls and did not see any water in it. They asked how long have I driven it like this and I told them it started when I was about 1/4 of a tank and I thought it may have been bad gas so I fulled up to full with new gas from a different station and drove that tank down to 1/2 and it was still the same issue. So they said during the test ride they are not allowed to get the bike up to 70 but had no issues at high rpm. Keep in mind that for me I get the bucking in every gear at high rpm. So we both agreed that whatever the issue was it must have vanished.

I left the dealer today and about a mile down the road it started right up just as bad as it was when I dropped it off. I am going to bring it back to them but is there anything that stands out to you guys or some things I should be checking? After this visit if I still have the issue I will be calling kawi to see what they advise. I would appreciate any input anyone may have. Thanks in advance.
NismoAce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like its running rich. the dealer also sounds like they dont know what they are talking about when it comes to 250s. i would check your air filter and make sure its clean. also make sure the choke is working correctly and is properly shut off when you are riding.

it might only be an issue when the bike is warm, so take the bike to them when its having the problem and make sure they see the problem.

Old July 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Have you put anything under the rear seat that may have slide down into the snorkel or airbox? I've heard of a case where a rider spent endless hours cleaning and adjusting carbs and changing plugs etc.., only to realize he had something as simple as some loose Gummy Bears stuck in the snorkel. His bike had a high rpm issue as well.

Just saying.....
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Abad !!

The bike is too new to have any problem.

I agree with the above posters and I would add a question:
Did you or the dealer's mechanic check the electrical connections of both ignition coils?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #5
NismoAce
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sounds like its running rich. the dealer also sounds like they dont know what they are talking about when it comes to 250s. i would check your air filter and make sure its clean. also make sure the choke is working correctly and is properly shut off when you are riding.

it might only be an issue when the bike is warm, so take the bike to them when its having the problem and make sure they see the problem.
Filter was fine. Choke works perfect also. Thanks for suggestions. Very irritating issue.

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #6
NismoAce
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Have you put anything under the rear seat that may have slide down into the snorkel or airbox? I've heard of a case where a rider spent endless hours cleaning and adjusting carbs and changing plugs etc.., only to realize he had something as simple as some loose Gummy Bears stuck in the snorkel. His bike had a high rpm issue as well.

Just saying.....

This is highlyyyyy possible. I will be checking that shortly.

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #7
NismoAce
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome to the site, Abad !!

The bike is too new to have any problem.

I agree with the above posters and I would add a question:
Did you or the dealer's mechanic check the electrical connections of both ignition coils?
I do not think they checked all that they should have. I figured Id give them one last chance maybe they will assign the job to a different mechanic and after that I will call Kawi for help.

Old July 25th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #8
NismoAce
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:

Just saying.....
You are the man. That was exactly what it was. I had some foam pipe insulation cut to act as spacers for my hotbodies under tail kit. 3 foam sections made its way down to the entrance of the snorkel. It most likely only had enough suctions to pull them at high rpm and this foam act as a great air filter because it barely let anything in lol.

I cant thank you enough. I will call the delear with my findings. Once again this forum is amazing. Is there any rep points or anything I can give you? You saved me some ride time this season.

On another note from riding like this for over a full tank should I do anything such as spark plugs or readjust anything?

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Your welcome.
Unless you have seen some evidence of black smoke or a lot of soot around the tailpipe, your plugs should be fine. You were running a little rich, but it will clear up and ride well.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #10
NismoAce
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Your welcome.
Unless you have seen some evidence of black smoke or a lot of soot around the tailpipe, your plugs should be fine. You were running a little rich, but it will clear up and ride well.
Thanks again bro. Been enjoying my baby again all day long.

Old July 26th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote